how many miles do u get on a stock wr tank?

15 replies to this topic
  • Slinkyman16

Posted December 30, 2008 - 01:15 AM

i only need a tank to last me 40 miles.. how many miles does a stock wr tank usually run? i would be putting this on a 07 yz450.. thanks..

• William1

Posted December 30, 2008 - 03:49 AM

LOL, really depends on how and where you ride. If you spend all your time doing technical stuff, on and off the gas constantly, you might be pushing to get 40 miles. On the other hand, if you run fire roads and the like, are easy/steady on the throttle, 80 miles is doable.

• jhmotard

Posted December 30, 2008 - 05:02 AM

romping on the street 80-100 depending on how throttle happy i am

• kskyles

Posted December 30, 2008 - 08:01 AM

70 miles in the desert.

35 miles in the sand dunes.

• alfie

Posted December 30, 2008 - 09:51 AM

As an average i get between 60 - 65 miles per tank on my 450. Then again thinking about it my 400 and 426 did about the same.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 30, 2008 - 10:24 AM

Are we talking 07' WR and up?

If so, your not going to get much more out of the WR tank and you will have to change your shrouds to WR shrouds.

I suggest IMS

• mightymart

Posted December 30, 2008 - 10:52 AM

I always reset the trip meter at fill up & refuel at 45/50 miles, When I first got my bike it went on to reserve at around 55/60, so at 45 I start looking for fuel lol
(Wr450 07)

• WR450FGreg

Posted December 30, 2008 - 01:08 PM

One thing i have yet to get over is how bloody thirsty my '08 Wr450F is!

..... and I always thought four strokes were economical compared to two strokes!

Greg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RedBull420

Posted December 30, 2008 - 02:55 PM

I'm getting around 50km's outta a tank, riding mostly tight single track.

Also, just got an IMS 3.2gal tank in the mail a couple weeks ago. :busted:

• WR_Dave

Posted December 31, 2008 - 05:41 AM

After 2 full riding seasons on my '07 , I find that I am getting the same mileage that I got with my '02 426 and with the string of 2 stroke WR's before that. I seem to always get 10 km's per liter of fuel ( 24 mpg or 51 miles to a stock WR tank -2.1 gal ). I ride technical single track at a reasonable pace and very rarely drop the bike. I am not an engine revver and let the torgue do quite a bit of the work when riding. I believe that with the correct jetting, keeping the RPM's in the power range and not loosing all the fuel from the float bowl whenever the bike is on it's side, that 45 - 55 miles ( 70-90 km's ) is decent for the WR. If you are a person who rides in the upper RPM's and on wide open terrain where you are into the main jet more, then the mileage will go down. If you are closer to sea level than I am you will use bigger jets and possibly use more fuel due to that. If you are a throttle jockey like one of my buddies then you are using extra fuel every time you blip the throttle to spin up a bit of dirt on the trail. Keep in mind these are high performance machines and if fuel mileage was the most important thing we would all be on XR 200's. Just my observations while I have time to think because there are 3 feet of snow around here :busted: Have Fun, ride hard and have a Happy New Year - :moon: - WR Dave

• Charles De Mar

Posted December 31, 2008 - 10:09 AM

After 2 full riding seasons on my '07 , I find that I am getting the same mileage that I got with my '02 426 and with the string of 2 stroke WR's before that. I seem to always get 10 km's per liter of fuel ( 24 mpg or 51 miles to a stock WR tank -2.1 gal ). I ride technical single track at a reasonable pace and very rarely drop the bike. I am not an engine revver and let the torgue do quite a bit of the work when riding. I believe that with the correct jetting, keeping the RPM's in the power range and not loosing all the fuel from the float bowl whenever the bike is on it's side, that 45 - 55 miles ( 70-90 km's ) is decent for the WR. If you are a person who rides in the upper RPM's and on wide open terrain where you are into the main jet more, then the mileage will go down. If you are closer to sea level than I am you will use bigger jets and possibly use more fuel due to that. If you are a throttle jockey like one of my buddies then you are using extra fuel every time you blip the throttle to spin up a bit of dirt on the trail. Keep in mind these are high performance machines and if fuel mileage was the most important thing we would all be on XR 200's. Just my observations while I have time to think because there are 3 feet of snow around here :busted: Have Fun, ride hard and have a Happy New Year - :moon: - WR Dave

That's Par for me. i have squeezed out a few more miles. You don't want tor run out of gas in the mountains here. Especially in Grizz country:eek:

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 31, 2008 - 11:02 AM

Mixed trail riding in loose dry conditions I could probably get 70 miles out of a tank. I generally short shift to keep from vaporizing the rear tire. In wet, hero dirt conditions I'm a little harder on the throttle but I think I can still get about 60 miles.

I don't know what my singletrack mileage would as I've never done a loop longer than 30 miles. My hillclimbing mileage is absolutely deplorable :busted:

• WR_Dave

Posted December 31, 2008 - 02:20 PM

You don't want tor run out of gas in the mountains here. Especially in Grizz country:eek:

Same here Charles, I have the 3.1gal IMS on the bike and usually only do 50-60 mile single track loops so I never have to think about gas and :moon: :busted: on running out in Griz country. 2 years ago I came across one standing and sniffing on the trail and as she went down to all fours to run into the bush I skimmed past her rear and a mile or two later we picked some 6 inch long dark brown hairs out of my A-stars buckle. :p Too close for me. Happy New Year :mad: WR Dave

• IBLucky

Posted December 31, 2008 - 08:00 PM

I too get about 40-50 out of a tank on my 07, but now since I have the 3.1 and I don't worry anymore like I used to, which is great.

• flynz

Posted January 01, 2009 - 06:29 AM

50-55 miles is what I usually got then I installed a Clark 3.6 gal tank now I don't pack gas in my back pack in the mountains:thumbsup:

• Charles De Mar

Posted January 01, 2009 - 11:42 AM

Same here Charles, I have the 3.1gal IMS on the bike and usually only do 50-60 mile single track loops so I never have to think about gas and :moon: :busted: on running out in Griz country. 2 years ago I came across one standing and sniffing on the trail and as she went down to all fours to run into the bush I skimmed past her rear and a mile or two later we picked some 6 inch long dark brown hairs out of my A-stars buckle. :p Too close for me. Happy New Year :mad: WR Dave

Last summer we saw a fresh set of big cat prints right next to a bear print. It was at a stream crossing and we decided to put our helmets on and move down the trail.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.