Time for a complete motor!!

2 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 12, 2002 - 10:26 PM

Well, After completing the Nevada 1000 race last month I noticed a huge loss of compression (not to mention a huge loss of 5th gear :) ) so I decided to extract the motor from my WR and give it to my good friends at Simi Valley Cycles (my local dealer here in SoCal) for a complete evaluation. I need to mention that my motor has many miles on it (im talking thousands of hard desert racing miles) and I knew that it would be ready for a top end.

Sure enough I did need a top end. The biggest culprit(s?) of the loss of compression was a situation where the valves had tightend themselves up. (because of heat). Regardless of the valve situation my top end was overdue for rebuild. Back in the 2-stroke days for me this would mean a 6 pack and a piston kit from Weisco. I told them to do it.

Getting back to the loss of 5th gear: I cracked the gear in half plain and simple. I had to ride the bike in 4th gear for the last 40 or 50 miles of flat desert roads of my last race. (poor thing was pinned in 4th for a long time).

As far as im concerned I think that I've gotten my money's worth with this bike. I mean, how much can we really expect out of our bikes??? I've owned 2 WR's with no problems to speak of. I have really pounded this bike into the ground and it has just kept on ticking.....

I got my motor back tonight from the dealer with new: Piston/rings,cylinder,complete crank assembly,flywheel(the thing was oval),5 gears,oil pump and filter,stator(it got grounded down),all the gaskets and labor for $1400.00. (new motor)

When I took the motor in I explained to my mechanic that I needed to have this motor 100% as I plan on racing in Baja and I have 2 more races in Nevada to rap up the "Best in the desert" series in which im currently in 2nd place. Im sure he could've patched up the motor but I don't want to chance it.

This weekend I look forward to putting the motor in and get back to rippin. I'll keep you guys posted...

Peace out!

Posted Image

[ July 13, 2002: Message edited by: Dan Lorenze ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted July 13, 2002 - 12:02 AM

Danno,
You could have gone for the BIG BORE kit!!

Eric Gorr does the whole thing, including parts, for ~$350.00

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 13, 2002 - 07:15 AM

Kev, A big-bore kit would be rad!! I already have the WR450 on order and will be selling my bike in Nov/Dec. I just think for resale purposes that I want to keep it as close to stock as possible. When I would shop for a used bike I would always try to find a bike that hasn't been tampered with too much. And I think that some will be sceptical with the big bore kit. Anyhoo, just my own little opinion.

:) Dan

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.