'08 Turning

27 replies to this topic
  • mywifefarts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 02:46 PM

The Yamaha will respond well to all adjustments and the only time I notice this problem is when the track is a little slick. A few little things add up and may need to be changed from track to track. I am far more happy with the rear suspension at 100mm sag. Moving the forks only slightly in the clamps seems to get the bike turning the way I want for track conditions. I usually end up just at the line on the forks or 2mm above or below the line. Also do not forget about the fork rebound to keep the front down.
One last thing, I do run a DRD radiator lowering kit which does help and if you are on medium to hard dirt the 745 Dunlop is hard to beat. I have never liked 756 front tires, they only seem to work well when new.

But you're 49.......and I'm just kidding.

• MotoXT

Posted January 19, 2009 - 07:00 PM

Man I have the same exact problem as you. I have an 06 and its even worse than on an 08. I was thinking about getting an 08 to get rid of my problem but now with what your saying, im thinking of looking at a crf

I would not shy away from the YZ based on my post. The bike, overall is amazing and allows me spend longer in the saddle due to it's overall handling. The tight cornering is not on par with other bikes, but good enough in my opinion, I'm just looking to wring as much improvement out of as I can, and combined with all of the other strong attributes I'm still glad I have it. Some of my problem is surely bad technique.

I'll be riding the bike this weekend with the suspension back from Dave J, so I'll report back then.

• LEMMON1

Posted January 19, 2009 - 07:33 PM

Researched and spoke with some of the aftermarket triple clamp guys. From what I found, factory Yamaha uses 17mm offsets, as did Reed when he was on the YZ. The guys at Zip Ty seemed the most knowledgeable. They all run the 17mm clamps for everything from SX to desert. They told me it's great improvement, but the bike will never turn like a CR or RMZ, which I can appreciate.

I'm currently running 22mm and I'm not happy with it. I'm having Dave J. do some more suspension work for me and I'll see how that goes, but if I'm still not happy I'll give the 17mm's a try.

if ya end up doin the 17s let me know how it runs

• mxracer206

Posted January 19, 2009 - 08:51 PM

But you're 49.......and I'm just kidding.

Ya but my 21 year old son is an A rider. Try a few of those things.
Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mywifefarts

Posted January 20, 2009 - 05:16 PM

Ya but my 21 year old son is an A rider. Try a few of those things.
Good luck.

What kind of exhaust system do you run with the radiator lowering kit? would it work with an 08 white brothers head pipe? Also do you have any experience with the bridgestone 403 front tire?

• mxracer206

Posted January 20, 2009 - 06:09 PM

What kind of exhaust system do you run with the radiator lowering kit? would it work with an 08 white brothers head pipe? Also do you have any experience with the bridgestone 403 front tire?

As far as I know the DRD head pipe is the only one that works with the lowering kit. I use that with a stock 06 muffler, the power is good and they are a lot more durable than any aftermarket slip-on. I have never tried the Bridgestone 403 on a 450 but have ridden 250F's with them. They feel very close to the latest Dunlop 742 from what I can tell. Both not bad when the track is fresh but could be better once the dirt gets past the intermediate stage.

• Deejdubya

Posted October 03, 2010 - 01:39 AM

I went to the 08 YZ450 and you are not alone. I bleed red, I love the way a honda digs corners. When I switched to yami I started to develop tourettes. It just simply corners like an old cadillac. I'm going to a 22.5mm offset as soon as I can find the right deal.

• ktm wrench

Posted December 09, 2013 - 01:15 PM

I know this is an old thread but I just bought a `09' yz450f and was wondering how the 17mm off set triple clamps worked out??

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.