'08 Turning

27 replies to this topic
  • MotoXT

Posted December 29, 2008 - 06:15 PM

I've got about 50 hours on my '08 with my suspension done by Dave J. at Performance Suspension. My only issue with this bike is not being able to get it to take inside lines well, and forget about getting it to pivot around the front wheel when needed. I've tried multiple sag settings, fork height in clamps, different bars, front tires, extending wheel as far back as possible in swingarm, you name it. I even had a Rekluse e-axle customized to fit the '08 and I'm running it at -2mm to no avail.

I'd typically chalk it up to lack of skills, but I can jump on my buddies' CR, KX, and KTM and have no troubles. On each of those bikes the front wheel seems far more planted and confidence inspiring on tighter corners than my Yamaha. It's more of an issue in winter on indoor tracks with tighter corners.

Everywhere else on the track I'd take my Yami. Anyone else have the same problem?

• Wiz636

Posted December 29, 2008 - 07:27 PM

Is it pushing or is it trying to climb up out of the rut?

• endurodog

Posted December 29, 2008 - 10:32 PM

I had a very talented rider talk to me about something involving turning last year that really helped me with inside line stuff, I'm on an 08 YZF450 but that wasn't the issue. I do lots of off road stuff and hate stalling so I had the idle turned up fairly high. He had me turn it down and the bike was like a new bike. He explained that if your running your idle to high it will push out on the corners. Getting the idle set much lower really helped with my corners and cost me zero.

• Justin89

Posted December 29, 2008 - 10:37 PM

Can you give us your bike set up? Bars, Sag, suspension, etc:thinking:

PS. Trust me, this isnt un-common for a 2006-2008 :busted:

• MotoXT

Posted December 31, 2008 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the responses. The bike wants to push, which causes me to hesitate on the throttle until the bike is more lined up out of the corner. The idle comment is interesting, as I do tend to run my a bit high, so I'll knock that down next time at the track. My set up:

Suspension done by Dave J. at Performance suspension. I'm currently running 102mm sag, but have tried everything from 95 to 108 (below 100 I was loosing handling on other parts of the track). I'm running Carmichael low bars (I'm short - 5'5"), but was running CR mids recently. The switch to the Carmichael bends really helped. Front tire is an MS3. Forks are up in the clamps about 10mm and I run a steering damper.

Thanks again for any insights:thumbsup:

• The Italian Stallion

Posted January 01, 2009 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the responses. The bike wants to push, which causes me to hesitate on the throttle until the bike is more lined up out of the corner. The idle comment is interesting, as I do tend to run my a bit high, so I'll knock that down next time at the track. My set up:

Suspension done by Dave J. at Performance suspension. I'm currently running 102mm sag, but have tried everything from 95 to 108 (below 100 I was loosing handling on other parts of the track). I'm running Carmichael low bars (I'm short - 5'5"), but was running CR mids recently. The switch to the Carmichael bends really helped. Front tire is an MS3. Forks are up in the clamps about 10mm and I run a steering damper.

Thanks again for any insights:thumbsup:

Sorry man you'll have to live with it and learn to adjust to the bike [sit on the tank] and don't ride a suzuki it will make you madder

• Justin89

Posted January 01, 2009 - 02:25 PM

Try some Windham bend Renthal Twinwalls. I tell people this all the time at the track and nobody believes me but I swear by them that they greatly imporve handling on the 06:thumbsup:

• mywifefarts

Posted January 01, 2009 - 02:54 PM

Try some Windham bend Renthal Twinwalls. I tell people this all the time at the track and nobody believes me but I swear by them that they greatly imporve handling on the 06:thumbsup:

I bought a pair of EVO's only because they're cheaper than Twinwalls and am still itching to try them. I have an '07 yz450 and honestly I kind of liked the height and bend of the stock bars and I'm 5'10" but I've heard all the talk about the Windham bend on these Yamahas and thought it couldn't hurt to try. Worse case being I would have to sell them for half price of new.:busted: I hope I'm not wrong! Blasting through berms works well for me but tight inside ruts take a ton of effort at times

• grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2009 - 03:06 PM

I agree with this in most cases, but here, the OP is 5'5". The Windhams are a rather tall bend for anyone shorter than 5'10", although that's my size, and I love mine.

As to their effect on the steering, I think it's important with a YZF to have the bars high enough (higher than on other bikes, probably), but the real key, IMO, is that they move your hands forward. Note two things in the picture of 15 time world champ Doug Dubach below: His position on the seat, and the forward rake of the rising section of his handlebars (probably a custom bend). Note also that the bike is NOT pushing.

Posted Image

• MotoXT

Posted January 01, 2009 - 04:32 PM

I've thought about going with the Windhams based on reviews here, but as Grey notes, I think they would be too high. I think it just comes down to adjusting my technique (or lack thereof...). If I'm not wrong I believe Dubach runs a lower offset clamp than stock, but not sure what size.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2009 - 06:05 PM

If I'm not wrong I believe Dubach runs a lower offset clamp than stock, but not sure what size.

He runs a 24mm offset, vs. the stock 25. A subtle change, but many say it's worth it.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted January 03, 2009 - 09:28 AM

Stick with 100mm of sage, make sure you have a good front tire (756, 745), and get up on that tank in corners. Also re-check your rebound/compression on your forks. If you have extra $, invest in a radiator lowering kit. I don't think mere mortals can see any difference between 25-24mm offset clamps, but I have read that slower or SX riders may prefer something as radical as 17mm, which may give you issues in other areas of a wide open track.

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2009 - 10:17 AM

Mere mortals have reported they can in fact feel the difference. For one thing, it was through a true blind test that the 24mm offset was selected. I haven't had the opportunity to ride a YZ equipped with that offset, though, so it's hard for me to say. I do know that the bike is very sensitive to small changes in setup.

As far as sag goes, 100 is OK, but 95 is better. It steepens the head angle, helping cornering, as does pulling the fork up 5mm. But if the bike doesn't dive enough going into a corner (which also steepens the head), and/or you don't get up on it far enough, it will still push. That's why I recommend running the bars farther forward. Your suspension setup could be contributing to your problem as well.

• gtxkid

Posted January 03, 2009 - 08:43 PM

I have a couple of guys your height and spend s lot of time with them.

Hmmmmm
1 Run the best front tire you can find ( Dunlop 755 ) I'd say.
Bring the front forks up in the clamps 10mm
I found something interesting out when i went to Calf.
I had a Pro Circut mech. spred my forks apart on the axle, so i had to learn how to set it up proper.

I also bought the motionpro tool to check spacing between the forks at the top and match the bottom up.
I know my suspention Guys at the track change a in the front forks to get them to work for my shorter friends, that are happy now.
Also try fork oil height.
Keep playing arround you will get it.

• MotoXT

Posted January 09, 2009 - 10:49 AM

Researched and spoke with some of the aftermarket triple clamp guys. From what I found, factory Yamaha uses 17mm offsets, as did Reed when he was on the YZ. The guys at Zip Ty seemed the most knowledgeable. They all run the 17mm clamps for everything from SX to desert. They told me it's great improvement, but the bike will never turn like a CR or RMZ, which I can appreciate.

I'm currently running 22mm and I'm not happy with it. I'm having Dave J. do some more suspension work for me and I'll see how that goes, but if I'm still not happy I'll give the 17mm's a try.

• mywifefarts

Posted January 09, 2009 - 02:03 PM

Researched and spoke with some of the aftermarket triple clamp guys. From what I found, factory Yamaha uses 17mm offsets, as did Reed when he was on the YZ. The guys at Zip Ty seemed the most knowledgeable. They all run the 17mm clamps for everything from SX to desert. They told me it's great improvement, but the bike will never turn like a CR or RMZ, which I can appreciate.

I'm currently running 22mm and I'm not happy with it. I'm having Dave J. do some more suspension work for me and I'll see how that goes, but if I'm still not happy I'll give the 17mm's a try.

I'm sure I heard someone state that reed and factory Yamaha uses the stock offset of 25mm, wich I thought had to be impossible.:thinking:
Do you know what exactly Dave will do to help the problem? If not can you find out and let us know? It would be very much appreciated!

• mywifefarts

Posted January 18, 2009 - 06:43 PM

I know this thread is old but what about finding a bar in a height and bend that you are comfortable with and using it with an adjustable top clamp to move your hand position forward? has anyone tried this?

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2009 - 07:58 PM

I know this thread is old but what about finding a bar in a height and bend that you are comfortable with and using it with an adjustable top clamp to move your hand position forward? has anyone tried this?

I have. It works exceptionally well.

• Dan_187

Posted January 18, 2009 - 11:04 PM

I've got about 50 hours on my '08 with my suspension done by Dave J. at Performance Suspension. My only issue with this bike is not being able to get it to take inside lines well, and forget about getting it to pivot around the front wheel when needed. I've tried multiple sag settings, fork height in clamps, different bars, front tires, extending wheel as far back as possible in swingarm, you name it. I even had a Rekluse e-axle customized to fit the '08 and I'm running it at -2mm to no avail.

I'd typically chalk it up to lack of skills, but I can jump on my buddies' CR, KX, and KTM and have no troubles. On each of those bikes the front wheel seems far more planted and confidence inspiring on tighter corners than my Yamaha. It's more of an issue in winter on indoor tracks with tighter corners.

Everywhere else on the track I'd take my Yami. Anyone else have the same problem?

Man I have the same exact problem as you. I have an 06 and its even worse than on an 08. I was thinking about getting an 08 to get rid of my problem but now with what your saying, im thinking of looking at a crf

• mxracer206

Posted January 19, 2009 - 05:46 AM

The Yamaha will respond well to all adjustments and the only time I notice this problem is when the track is a little slick. A few little things add up and may need to be changed from track to track. I am far more happy with the rear suspension at 100mm sag. Moving the forks only slightly in the clamps seems to get the bike turning the way I want for track conditions. I usually end up just at the line on the forks or 2mm above or below the line. Also do not forget about the fork rebound to keep the front down.
One last thing, I do run a DRD radiator lowering kit which does help and if you are on medium to hard dirt the 745 Dunlop is hard to beat. I have never liked 756 front tires, they only seem to work well when new.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.