Motor locked up-worst day ever

36 replies to this topic
  • qwik12beat

Posted December 30, 2008 - 09:00 AM

So you guys recommend me torquing them to say 6ftlbs. The smallest torque wrench i have is 3/8's.

• William1

Posted December 30, 2008 - 09:40 AM

If you are worried about the cap bolts coming loose, drill and safety wire them.

• qwik12beat

Posted December 30, 2008 - 10:08 AM

Ok, but do you think i should torque them to 6ft.lbs instead of 7.2?I took another pic of the head, and cap. I still need to do a little work to the cap, and polish them both. What do you guys think?The scratch that you can see towards the bottom of the journal cant be felt with my fingernail.

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2008 - 11:46 AM

Ok, but do you think i should torque them to 6ft.lbs instead of 7.2?

I think I said that. See sunruh's post up a couple too.

You NEED a 1/4" wrench graduated in inch pounds that will run up to 100-120 or so.

• qwik12beat

Posted December 30, 2008 - 03:03 PM

:banana:I got it running. Ive heat cycled it about 6 times running it for 3 minutes each time.I also managed to get the cap and journal scratch free. It seems to be running just fine. Ill keep you guys posted as i put some hours on it.:moon::busted:

Also i ended up paying $32 for a headgasket. Does that seem like alot to you guys?

• grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2008 - 07:47 PM

I believe I paid $17 for mine through TT.

• qwik12beat

Posted December 31, 2008 - 07:21 AM

I believe I paid $17 for mine through TT.

Good to know:thumbsup: I was just in such a hurry to get it running i just went to the nearest yami shop. Thanks :

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 31, 2008 - 12:39 PM

what did you do to fix it..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mike_dean

Posted December 31, 2008 - 01:43 PM

I admire your cheapness, reminds me of when I was younger, you can learn alot that way, hope it all works out for you.

• qwik12beat

Posted December 31, 2008 - 02:02 PM

Thumperkid--Basically the only things that were damaged was the exhaust cam journal,exhaust cam, and the cam cap. I took 1500 grit sandpaper with bostitch tool oil, and started sanding very very carefully on the journal,cam, and cap.The cam was easy to clean up since its steel(i think). I kept measuring everything over and over to make sure i was keeping it in spec. I just kept sanding till everything was on the lower end of spec, and by the time it was, all the scratchs were gone(yay) I also kept putting the cam back in the head and torqing it to spec to check for rough or tight spots in its travel. Eventually it was all scratch free, and i polished all the pieces with my dremel. I am very very happy with my decision to do it on my own. Although if you ever try it proceed with EXTREME caution.

Mike dean--Thank you, i appreciate your kindness. I put 2 more hours on the bike today, and it runs just as it always has(great).:busted:

• yzfjbw323

Posted December 31, 2008 - 02:44 PM

That is freaken great..Good Job

• FinchFan194

Posted December 31, 2008 - 03:35 PM

I am new here, but by not fixing it right the first time if you have a "catastrophic" engine failure it is going to cost you a lot and I mean a LOT more. Good luck I don't wish that to happen to anyone. I am just saying be prepared.

• qwik12beat

Posted December 31, 2008 - 03:52 PM

I am new here, but by not fixing it right the first time if you have a "catastrophic" engine failure it is going to cost you a lot and I mean a LOT more. Good luck I don't wish that to happen to anyone. I am just saying be prepared.

Yea im pretty aware of that:thumbsup: . Thanks. If i thought it was so bad that i would have to worry about it down the road. It would still be in the shed with a locked up motor.:busted:

• yzfjbw323

Posted December 31, 2008 - 07:49 PM

I totally understand why qwik did what he did.
We all do not have disposable amounts of cash we can throw at our bike constantly, I give the man :busted: :moon: , if this would have happend to me my bike would still be sitten in the shed broke. He did what he had to do to ride his bike..If this repair only last 3 months, well that is 3 months he got to ride, if it last one year I would call that success. Get off his ass!!!:p

• wobblyknobby

Posted December 31, 2008 - 08:16 PM

Good deal quik, I would run full synthetic motorcycle racing oil from now on and Im glad it worked out.

• DRX350

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:37 AM

Right on, glad it worked for you. I actually seized my 4cyl Honda and did a "ghetto" repair and it worked flawlessly for 15,000 miles until the tranny exploded (not related to seizure, chain snapped). and I repair commercial engines that do that on a regular basis.

• qwik12beat

Posted January 16, 2009 - 07:42 AM

Well. Im pleased to say that i have a total of 12hrs on the bike since the seizure, and it seems to be ok. I ran it really easy for the first 3 hours, and then i said screw it, and started runnin the piss out of it again. I changed the oil 4 times in the first hour of running it, and found some microscopic metal shavings. I checked the cam journals every 4 hours so far, and everything seems good. The oil is clean, and she runs strong. It's almost tax time so a rebuild is in order now:banana:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.