2007 wr450f leaking coolant

5 replies to this topic
  • zoezie

Posted December 29, 2008 - 09:28 AM

Has anyone got the same problem or can some one help?
I have had a small coolant leak on the right hand side of my bike just below and to the right of the oil filter housing.
I have had it since new and it seems to disapear when the bike is warm.
Thanks in advance

• honeycutt

Posted December 29, 2008 - 09:48 AM

Sounds like the impellar shaft seals on the water pump. I had the same problem on my 07 WR450 and that's what it was. Easy fix, I ordered new o-rings for both sides of the impellar shaft since I had to take it apart anyways. If I remember right you have to take the clutch cover off to get to the back o-ring, be careful not scratch impellar shaft or tear the gasket on the clutch cover so you can reuse the gasket. Good luck!

• jhmotard

Posted December 29, 2008 - 04:49 PM

exactly what hondeycutt said

yamaha designed the motor with a weephole underneath the waterpump housing so that if the inner seal is going bad it will leak through said weephole.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mlyrette

Posted June 01, 2009 - 03:29 PM

I own a 2007 Wr450F and had that exact same problem. I fixed it by removing the 4 bolts for the water pump housing, loosening the 2 hose clamps that go to the lower part of the rad. Be careful not to tear the gasket unless replacing anyway. when the housing is off remove the impellar, you may need to break it loose by giving the ratchet a quick shot counter-clockwise. when impellar is off remove washer. now use a small flat screwdriver to pop out the seal. when the seal is popped out you will see a small hole that is where the antifreeze is leaking from. when you have the seal in your hand, get a deep socket that fits the outside edge of the seal. slide the seal over the impellar shaft to lightly seat the seal. take the deep socket and put directly over the seal and use a small hammer to lightly tap seal into place. you do not need to change the rear seal. now put back the washer, impellar, gasket (if replacing), housing, bolts, and tighten hose clamps and fill rad. your leak should be gone

• sarkmych

Posted June 03, 2009 - 08:01 AM

I own a 2007 Wr450F and had that exact same problem. I fixed it by removing the 4 bolts for the water pump housing, loosening the 2 hose clamps that go to the lower part of the rad. Be careful not to tear the gasket unless replacing anyway. when the housing is off remove the impellar, you may need to break it loose by giving the ratchet a quick shot counter-clockwise. when impellar is off remove washer. now use a small flat screwdriver to pop out the seal. when the seal is popped out you will see a small hole that is where the antifreeze is leaking from. when you have the seal in your hand, get a deep socket that fits the outside edge of the seal. slide the seal over the impellar shaft to lightly seat the seal. take the deep socket and put directly over the seal and use a small hammer to lightly tap seal into place. you do not need to change the rear seal. now put back the washer, impellar, gasket (if replacing), housing, bolts, and tighten hose clamps and fill rad. your leak should be gone

exactly.... same thing happened to me.

• klossWR450

Posted June 03, 2009 - 02:21 PM

here is an old thread on possible problem undoing the impeller nut from the outside, happened to me and other WR owners:
http://www.thumperta...t=703925&page=2

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.