glowing red head pipe

16 replies to this topic
  • luv2ride-yz450

Posted December 28, 2008 - 09:28 PM

I HAVE A 2006 YZ 450F 50 YEAR ANNIVERSARY EDITION
RUNS GREAT) but this weekend i noticed at night the head pipe was glowing red, is this normal for a 4 stroke? this is my first 4 stroke, please help!!!!!

• crf230ripper

Posted December 28, 2008 - 10:03 PM

RUNS GREAT) but this weekend i noticed at night the head pipe was glowing red, is this normal for a 4 stroke? this is my first 4 stroke, please help!!!!!

Actually it is quite usual for a YZ to glow red, especially at night. I had A 03 YZ250F did the same thing, I asked around and it was normal from all the feedback I got. I would guess that it only does that while idling , or standing still. I wouldn't worry about it, unless it does so during the day!!....Also you can check if it might be running a little lean...sometimes this is the case, but if the bike is running well and only does this at night. No worries.

• luv2ride-yz450

Posted December 28, 2008 - 10:08 PM

thanx conneticut, yeah i been lookin around and everybody seems to think it`s normal. I guess i just never noticed it, it kinda freaked me out.

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2008 - 11:09 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=236304

• scrimmy

Posted December 29, 2008 - 01:45 PM

glowing of the header is not normal. you are lean. 4 strokes usually come from the factory lean. up your pilot jet one size and try 2 - 2 1/2 turns out , and lower your clip on the needle one position and that will cure your glow.

• grayracer513

Posted December 29, 2008 - 02:12 PM

glowing of the header is not normal. you are lean. 4 strokes usually come from the factory lean. up your pilot jet one size and try 2 - 2 1/2 turns out , and lower your clip on the needle one position and that will cure your glow.

This is wrong on a number of points.

First, the glowing header is in fact 100% normal in this case. Note that the OP stated it was at night that he noticed this. There's a 300 degree difference in temp between red heat you can see in the dark and that which shows in daylight, for one thing.

For the other, the cause is cam and ignition timing, not lean jetting. The timing retards a very long way at idle, and that, combined with the aggressive exhaust cam timing, leaves quite a bit of unfinished combustion going on at an idle as the valves pop open.

And finally, the needle position hasn't got a thing to do with the way the engine idles, anyway.

Jet the bike to make it run correctly in gear underway, not to make it look or sound good in neutral.

• jayh300

Posted December 29, 2008 - 02:21 PM

come on gray........ show us the HEADER..... it's been awhile

• luv2ride-yz450

Posted December 29, 2008 - 06:25 PM

thanks everyone i guess its time for the shop dont want 2 take a chance, dont got the money 4 a new motor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 29, 2008 - 07:38 PM

thanks everyone i guess its time for the shop dont want 2 take a chance, dont got the money 4 a new motor.

It's a complete waste of time, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead.

Mine does the same thing, and it runs fine.

Posted Image

• jayh300

Posted December 29, 2008 - 07:56 PM

sweet.... thanks
makes me smile every time... i think i need a ride in that cart

• husqy360

Posted December 30, 2008 - 02:01 AM

most 4 stroks do it.
my 06 and my bro raptor 660 do it.

• Nitrox

Posted December 30, 2008 - 06:03 AM

I had an 04 and I have an 07 now. Both bikes head pipe would glow red. Surprised me the first time I saw it and I a bit concerned too.

Craig

• bansheeater1

Posted December 30, 2008 - 01:37 PM

Ya its definetly normal. My 07 450 glows red at night when its idling. But once you take off its fine. Your all in the clear.

• Wiz636

Posted December 30, 2008 - 04:05 PM

I can't believe that a glowing header thread has become a two-pager.

We must be really bored.

What's the best oil to use?

• usmcpaul

Posted December 30, 2008 - 06:44 PM

most 4 stroks do it.

This is total B.S.!!!!!

Neither one of my CRF's did it......

.....because I had to reshim their valves long before their headers had time get hot enough:lol: :moon: :p :p :mad: :eek: :busted:

• GENE426

Posted December 30, 2008 - 06:50 PM

All of my bikes do it and did it......
and in 2002 I started a thread about the same thing when I first got my 426...................
Did scare me since I bought a used one and thought I just got screwed till TT cam thru and said "ITS OK TO GLOW RED"

• Justin89

Posted December 30, 2008 - 10:48 PM

If you want to flush that money down the toliet, I got some student loans I need to pay off:smirk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.