building an xr650 motard? where to start?

3 replies to this topic
  • thaddeus

Posted January 30, 2003 - 08:50 AM

ok, so I just got a 94 xr650l I think. I was told it's an L. The frame id says xr650F. either way, it's air cooled, electric ignition, realy big ugly bike :D I'm coming from a street background, and have no dirt experience, but I'm not realy looking to go out and jump and do all the psycho stuff that seems better suited to 125s. I'm looking to build a bike thats comfortable on the trails, fireroads, and on the paved canyon roads.

I've been reading about other peoples motards, and was wondering where one gets the rims etc to make the conversion, also, if anyone who's actualy done this with the XR650 could give some first hand advice, that would be apreciated as well.

Main things I'm looking for:

rubber choices for both stock and new rims, for primary street riding, with a little time spent in the dirt.

suspension mods suggested for bringing it down to a more comfortable level without distroying the offroad capabilities completley (this shouldnt be an issue for trails and fireroads right?)

and of course... more power. Right now it's got a supertrap exhaust, and apears to be running way to rich, I'm gonna dig into the carb this weekend. As far as internals go, I presume I'm gonna be grabbing cams, repacking the bearings for the low end, and probibly sleaving and grabbing a high compression piston. Does this sound right to you people who actualy know these bikes? tell me what I should be doing :)

Thanks in advance for the help. See you on the road... and off it too now :D

-- James

• dudenstumpy

Posted January 30, 2003 - 08:09 PM

James, I'm a bit unclear about what you're planning.
You say you wan't to build a supermoto to include trails and
fireroads. To tackle fire roads and trails without knobbly
tires is, in my opinion, suicidal.
I am aware that supermoto racing involves a track with
a short dirt section but the riders are only yards away from help if needed.
cheers, Craig

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thaddeus

Posted January 31, 2003 - 06:36 AM

hrm... well, that does put a damper on that plan. I suppose the better question would be: If you were to build an XR for both canyon carving (on asphault) and occasional off road adventures, where would you start? Street will be 90% of the riding, but I dont want it to be 100% should I look at getting a set of wheels with knobbies and another with street rubber? Do they have a safe motorcycle equivelent to quick release hubs for bicycles? Sorry if I sound like a dolt, I'm just realy new to this aspect of the sport. Thanks agian. :)

-- James

• FooBarr

Posted January 31, 2003 - 05:15 PM

I'd stick to an good street worthy dual-sport tire for now. The XR650L is not quite an asphalt carver, and since you're kind of new to the dual sport I'd take it easy and explore both sides of the fence. :) You might decide you would like to see more dirt and fire roads. :D
With that in mind, visit a well-stocked tire shop and tell them you want a good 10% dirt 90 % street dual-sport tire. Look for something with a tight knobby pattern that are slightly offset and not linear. Here's an example: C6006
It's the one the bottom. Got to be careful with dual sport tires. The mostly off-road types handle like crap going around corners on asphalt.
Also go into your TT profile and post your hometown and state. Might be somebody nearby who can hook you up and get you into a dual sport club or something. Then you might decide to pass on the MoTurd mods. :D

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.