Need help jetting a 426 in Pueblo Colorado

6 replies to this topic
  • boileranimal

Posted December 27, 2008 - 03:35 AM

I just bought a 00' YZ426F. It came from Arizona & I live in Pueblo Co. I took the carb apart, cleaned it & put it back together. It started extremelly hard, but once it did start it idles smooth & is responsive except for a litttle bog at low RPM. Should I re-jet or do the AP upgrade & see how it likes that first? Its stock on jets & needle clip position. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks. Also elevation is about 4700'

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:38 AM

Check here to see what others may be using:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=694921

Cold weather is probably the reason for the hard starting.

• Thrash1

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:39 AM

Also Check This Thread, I posted a Jetting Chart for My mike with a 170main, 42pilot and Needle in 4th poistion

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=725204

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:41 AM

The '00 yz426 tended to have a bog right off idle. The AP squirt was a little long and sometimes mistimed. This is what the BK mod is for (drill and tap the little ear near the AP pump actuator so you can limit the actuation length), and dial in the AP pump screw. But leave this until you first get your jetting dialed.

I would probably go with a 40 pilot and one clip on the needle. Do one or the other first so you can see how it feels after.

Also, if you have trouble getting it started, I've found that the YZ426 will be a PIA to start when the jetting is wrong, but that a new plug will almost always get it fired on the 1st or 2nd kick.

• Thrash1

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:44 AM

Looks like you might need to run an 165main with the needle in 3rd position. For temps in the 50-90 degree range. I would leave the 162 main in and change it to the 3rd clip position first. Then see how it runs.

Post in the Jetting forum and Burn may be able to help.

Also here are some helpful tips for the YZ426 including the BK mod and others.

http://motoman393.th...k.com/tech.html

Cheers.

• smokin529

Posted December 27, 2008 - 10:25 AM

Get a JD jet kit....

• boileranimal

Posted December 31, 2008 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'm goin wait for it to warm up before i start changing jets. Honestly the biggest problem was the way i was trying to start it. I was goin to far past TDC. Read the starting posts & starts way better. This is the 1st thumper i've owned. Last bike was 98 CR250 & i got rid of it in 99. Gotta lot of catching up to do. I appreciate the help

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.