Measuring Vacuum

6 replies to this topic
  • Littlefoot

Posted July 12, 2002 - 02:58 AM

Has any body tested with a vacuum gauge on there bike? Where did you attach and what were the readings?

• Hick

Posted July 12, 2002 - 07:05 AM

Originally posted by Littlefoot:
Has any body tested with a vacuum gauge on there bike? Where did you attach and what were the readings?

Never, but how about plumbing it to the hot start circuit?

• Littlefoot

Posted July 12, 2002 - 09:08 PM

That's what I thought. I attached the vacuum gauge hose to the head side carb bell nipple, where my hotstart is attached. Wild fluctuatuions at idle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tbronc

Posted July 12, 2002 - 04:43 PM

I just did the same the other day out of curiosity...

tame the fluctuations by slowly pinching the hose until the needle only wiggles a little.

What you get is repeatable, but I don't know how useful???

My readings were 10-11 in.Hg vac. 11 when idle was on the verge of stalling, 10 or a little less after turning up the idle screw a bit.

• Taffy

Posted July 12, 2002 - 09:54 PM

surely vac guages are only any good when comparing two carbs or more?

have i missed something here?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 12, 2002 - 11:19 PM

[ July 13, 2002: Message edited by: Dan Lorenze ]

• Littlefoot

Posted July 13, 2002 - 02:39 AM

Typically I would use gauge for indications of valve / valved guide / piston ring condition. Just an indicator mind you. Then if there was cause move on to compression and leakdown testing.
It's just a quick and easy check to throw on a vacuum gauge. Could be any thumper has the fluctuations, never tried one before, just curious.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.