2006 yz450 forks vs 2008 yz450 forks

1 reply to this topic
  • tnat1

Posted December 26, 2008 - 10:29 PM

I have a little bit of a dilema, I ave a 2006 yz450 and just picked up a 2008 yz450, I mainly race supermoto with the 06'. the 2008 has the forks revalved for a pro level mx and they are sweet as silk. i am going to make the 08 my main race bike and the 06 my practice bike. I wasthinking of putting the 06 forks on the 08 cause they are kinda setup for sumo and all of my caliper relocation brackets fit the 06. I will have to spend over 200$ to get new brackets to use on the 08 forks, Should i just have the 08 forks redone for sumo, or have the 06 forks done and i wont have to buy new brackets for the 320mm brakes. Are the 08 forks that much better, will the 06 forks fit on the 08? Im confused!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:35 AM

You should be able to slide the '08 forks into the '06 clamps and use them that way. The steering stem on the '08 bottom clamp is 5mm shorter, which isn't such a big deal, really, but you should keep the two matched up. If the clamps need to be switched, press the stems down out of the clamp, and back up into the other one.

The '08 axle will have to be used with the '08 fork.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.