04 Wr450 Engine Locked Up, Then Was Ok?

7 replies to this topic
  • DS-WR450F

Posted December 26, 2008 - 06:17 PM

So, here's the story. I have had this bike less than a week. It was around 30 degrees today, and I just finished installing the water temp sensor for the Trail Tech Vapor. I re-filled with coolant, and started the bike. It started right up, and ran a little rough, choked, in the cold air. Then, after less than a minute, I hit the kill switch, and checked the coolant. When I tried to re-start the engine, the starter wouldn't crank the motor. I thought maybe it was a low battery, so I tried to kick it, and the motor would not budge. I am 230 lbs. So then I tried moving it with my arm, and all of a sudden it turned. I hit the starter button, and it fired right up again, and ran fine. I let it run untill the water temp was at 185, then shut it down again. Any ideas?

• Mark_NZ

Posted December 26, 2008 - 06:59 PM

my 06 sometimes locks up when I use the kick start - putting the bike in gear and rocking it fixes the problem - might have happened once on electric start too.

• tribalbc

Posted December 26, 2008 - 07:13 PM

Normal, just put it in gear and rock the bike a little bit.
PITA is when it happens when you stall at a checkpoint :busted:

• DS-WR450F

Posted December 26, 2008 - 10:26 PM

Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Asgeir

Posted December 28, 2008 - 06:47 PM

This happens because the cylinder is filled with dense mixture of air and fuel that does not compress very easily.

Holding steady pressure with your foot on the kickstart for a few seconds usually does the trick.

Usually happens when the motor stalls suddenly, but luckily it´s not always like that.

Rocking method should work as well, have not tried that myself.

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 28, 2008 - 09:28 PM

It'll hapen to every WR rider eventually. Yamaha should have put a manual decomp lever on these bikes for this reason.

• bluebreadtruck

Posted December 28, 2008 - 09:37 PM

they did on the old ones like mine!

• Mark_NZ

Posted December 29, 2008 - 12:03 PM

This happens because the cylinder is filled with dense mixture of air and fuel that does not compress very easily.

Holding steady pressure with your foot on the kickstart for a few seconds usually does the trick.

Usually happens when the motor stalls suddenly, but luckily it´s not always like that.

Rocking method should work as well, have not tried that myself.

that may be the case for some but when mine locks its a hard solid bind that is definitely like something in the kick/electric start binding - its done it since new - but only 3-6 times in 100-130 hours

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.