Need a 48 Pilot jet, anyone have one, you'd send to me????

24 replies to this topic
  • Bill

Posted February 12, 2001 - 07:59 AM

I called Sudco and they have a $20 minimum + shipping. So I called the local dealer and this is how that went:

Hi, I need a pilot jet for a 99 WR 400
can you hold
what do you need
I need a pilot jet for a 99 WR400f
is that a Suzuki
No Yamaha
can you hold
ok, that's $35, I need your credit card #
$35???? are you sure
yep, that has all the springs, washers and screws
are you sure this is the part
Yep
Thanks I'll let you know

Does anyone have an extra? or I'll pay the $20 plus shipping from Sudco.

Thanks
Bill

------------------
86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted February 12, 2001 - 08:06 AM

Bill,
I'll check tonight - I have a double on one or two PJs but I don't think it is a 48. If no one else can help you I'll go buy one at my local dealer and ship it to you for cost - I need to buy reeds & a needle for my KX500 anyhow. You can buy me a beer at Moab for the service :)

Brian

• mcarp

Posted February 12, 2001 - 09:16 AM

Bill-

I'll hook you up with a new jet. Send me your address over email. I'll have it shipped out to you in Tuesdays' mail, you should have it by Thurs/Fri.

Mike Carpenter

• Bill

Posted February 12, 2001 - 03:53 PM

Brian,

Thanks for the offer, but Mike has got it handled. I already have a good selection of jets and Sudco doesn't carry any other accesories for me to buy.

Mike,

Thanks for hooking me up and your reservation at the Moto Motel is set for June :D

ThumperTalk Rules :)
Bill

------------------
86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 12, 2001 - 04:08 PM

I know the pilot in my 00 WR is different from the 99's but this might help you out. I go to anyplace that sells / services Polaris snowmobiles and get my carburetor jets there. They usually carry a good selection of pilots and mains for Keihin carbs. I paid $7 for a pilot and as little as $2.75 for mains! Hope this helps.

• Bill

Posted February 12, 2001 - 04:42 PM

Brian,

Back to square one, if you have one let me know.

Thanks
Bill

------------------

• mcarp

Posted February 12, 2001 - 06:42 PM

Bill- I got your message. I do not believe the pilot jet to be a different fit . Yes, perhaps different size-'00 stock PJ is 42.

But not the fit, or better said the series of jets. ALL the series of jets are identical for this carb, beit FCR or FCR2 (yamaha or Suzuki). It's the size of the jet opening (42 vs. 45 vs. 48 PJ) that is different among models.

The 48 is in the mail, Bill. Compare it to your stock jet and see for yourself :). I think you'll like it for the winter, then maybe back to a 45 come July. Time will tell.

Also, I *thought* I had a DVR. What was found is a DKR. I sent that too. Check for past posts, I believe the needles are identical if used at different clip positions. If I'm not mistaken, the DKR is too clips leaner than the DVR. PLEASE check this for yourself to make sure, search for DVR on the site. James D has a few helpful posts which clears this matter up (thanks, James!). He's DA MAN!!

You should have the 48PJ and OBDKR by Thursday :D

Mike C

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 12, 2001 - 07:13 PM

The reason I say the earlier models have different pilots is because I helped my brother check his 98 YZ400 and the two are very different. The pilot in my 00WR is the same as in my XR while his is shorter with a different tip (no jokes please)

• bonez34

Posted February 12, 2001 - 07:22 PM

AWWWWWWW! Come on, just a couple? :)

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted February 13, 2001 - 09:15 AM

Bill,
I checked my tool box last night and I do not have an extra 48 PJ for my '99 WR400. The PJ for a '99 with the FCR carb is the same one that is used on KLX300s - it DOES NOT look like the PJ from an XR.

Let me know if you still need a PJ.....

Brian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 13, 2001 - 05:26 PM

Brian, I agree that the pilot in a '99 WR does not look like the XR's-my point is that I have both bikes-'00 WR and multiple '98 XR's and the pilot jets are identical/interchangeable in shape and design (not size#). Therefore they <u>must</u> vary in model years for the WR.

• Bill

Posted February 26, 2001 - 05:19 PM

Brian,

I got the jet today and it is the right one. Your check is in the mail. Thanks for your help :)

Chris in Utah,

Looks like you were right :D

Bill

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted February 26, 2001 - 08:38 PM

I'll take a picture of the '99 PJ & the '01 PJ tomorrow and post it. The one Chris is talking about is the same PJ as on my wife's '92 XR250R.

Bill - hope the 48PJ solves your problem :)

Brian

• Taffy

Posted February 27, 2001 - 01:21 AM

mcarp there are three needle clips difference in the DKR & the DVR
m = 1 clip
p = 2 clips
r = 3rd clip

i'm looking for someone to try the DVP (clip 7) or DTM (clip 6), no APJ, 50 PJ & PAJ-SCREW out 2 1/4. you'll be impressed. cost will be about $20 i suppose.

point & squirt, snap wheelies etc.

anyone want to have a try.

Taffy

[This message has been edited by Taffy (edited 02-27-2001).]

• mcarp

Posted February 27, 2001 - 08:55 AM

taffy-

Does this work better than the EKR? I'm quite pleased with it...tons of snap and ripping mid-range.

• Taffy

Posted February 27, 2001 - 03:05 PM

in my opinion the snap & 1/4 throttle is a big improvement. if you trail try it. it's better. enduro? give me a week & i'll try them back to back.

you don't feel the surge at 1/2 throttle because the 1/4 & 3/4 are so good.

look, at $20 i'm not exactly selling you a pup. the APJ is going to be thee big news here whatever i or jd find.

i'm even going to try the 48PJ with the pilot screw out a long way. if it works all i'll be asking you to buy is an $11 PAJ-SCREW.

Taffy

• mcarp

Posted February 27, 2001 - 04:09 PM

Taffy- I know it's easier to give advice on jetting when you have info. Here's what I run on my '00 and it seems to run well. Conditions are mud, around 40 deg F, low humidity, and 700 feet ASL.

EKR, EKQ # 4 OR
EKN,EKP # 3
170MJ
48 PJ
100 PAJ
1.1--1.2 Fuel screw

YZ timed, WB filter/tapered header, stock YZ pipe, 14/52 gearing, stop trimmed/airbox lid off, YZ rear fender (more available free air intake). Thanks to JD, Clark, and others I've made a few changes and experimented along the way. The above setup seems to run quite well, doesn't foul plugss, and never gives me hastles. The EKQ #4 seems to run nearly the best so far.

But if you recommend a needle trial or perhaps the PAJ adjustment (stock #75, already chnged to #100), by all means-fire away.

So, Bill, did you play with the carb yet? How do you like the 48?

• Taffy

Posted February 28, 2001 - 02:20 AM

mcarp

the bike sounds similar to mine, bar the YZ pipe. so your MJ will go up to 175 add to that the fact that you're going from an 'E' series to a 'D' series which JD has factory info indicating is worth two jets (= 5)so look to your MJ reaching 175/178/180.

you forget that i found SNAP!!! evryone has had to roll the throttle on. i'm talking about leaning forward & whacking the throttle HARD.

imagine a left & right just 20 feet apart, you're in second & all you can do is blip the throttle as you peel from left to right ok? i can pop the wheel up 6" off of 1/8 throttle.

Taffy

[This message has been edited by Taffy (edited 02-28-2001).]

• Tree_Crippler

Posted February 28, 2001 - 11:23 AM

Bill
Since it warmed up today I did a little testing.
I went back to DVP#4
stayed with the 48PJ
and put the fuel screw 1 3/4
This is the best setting to this day for me.
It seems DVP #5 works a lot better with the 45PJ.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted February 28, 2001 - 02:55 PM

Here's the pic of the jets. Sorry about the poor quality - my camera doesn't like to focus at 1ft.

Left: PJ for '00 WR(?), '90 KX500 & '92 XR250R.

Middle: Main Jet for '88 XR600, '90 KX500, '92 XR250R & '99 WR400

Right: PJ for '99 WR400

http://albums.photop...0034&p=42282000

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian Meadows (edited 02-28-2001).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.