YZ Off Road Handling Issues

13 replies to this topic
  • MJackson

Posted December 26, 2008 - 06:52 AM

Hi guys. This is my first post. I appologize if this is an old topic, however I'm looking for some help.

I bought a like-new 2006 YZ450F. I've been riding in the desert, mostly old race courses and enduro trails, so it's a mix of fast off road, and technical trails. This thing is making me nuts. I've had Ross at Enzo do the shock and forks a couple times, and I think I have them working as good as they'll get. I've played with sag settings and I think I have that as good as I can get it, but I still feel like the thing wants to understeer or oversteer suddenly, and it's sapping my confidence to push it much harder.

I've seen some information about triple clamps that change the steering geometry, but since I don't ride motocross, I'm not looking for razor tight turning, or something that will make things worse at speed and big whoopy sections.

Just for reference, I'm an intermediate desert rider, 6'7", 250#. My last few bikes were an XR650, a YZ 490 and a bunch of Husky's, so you can see my bikes have mostly been XC type chasis.

This is my first new bike in a few years, so maybe they all handle like this nowadays? I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks.

• qwik12beat

Posted December 26, 2008 - 07:15 AM

Have you tried moving your bars forward or raising your forks in the triple clamps. I have an 07 and i raised my forks 7mm, and run 96mm sag. Im 6'6" 225lb. I know how you feel. You might want to try some fastway pegs in the lowboy position, and maybe a tall seat. It will help you move around on the bike better.

• MJackson

Posted December 26, 2008 - 08:30 AM

I have not tried lowering the forks, as I was worried about high speed stability. I do have a taller seat, and I used a high CR bend bar. I was thinking that if I changed the clamps, I would go to a sub-mount, and pick up a little more bar height.

The pegs are a nice ergo suggestion. I'll definately look into that.

• qwik12beat

Posted December 26, 2008 - 09:41 AM

Might wanna raise the forks a little just to see if you like it. I was skeptical too at first because i do some high speed stuff, but now that i raised my forks i like it, and im in no hurry to get a stabilizer.:busted:

• Ga450owner

Posted December 26, 2008 - 11:30 AM

do a search on triple clamps - there is a ton of info on offsets for the 06/07

• Ga426owner

Posted December 26, 2008 - 11:32 AM

yea what he said:p

• clutchless

Posted December 26, 2008 - 12:32 PM

Get risers on the bars and a really tall bar bend and probably try to lower the foot pegs and drop them back a bit.

set the race sag for your height.

Also get a good chain and run the rear wheel as far back as you can, think hillclimb style.

i am 5' 10" and the stock bars and peg height are a bit low for me.

pretty sure the stock settings are good for a 5' 8" person in the desert.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WGP

Posted December 26, 2008 - 03:38 PM

Try putting the forks flush with the triple clamp, adjust your rear wheel as far back as possible, and get a stablizer:busted:

• moto621

Posted December 26, 2008 - 03:50 PM

Make sure you have a good front tire also. The 2006 yz 450 like good rubber up frount.

• qwik12beat

Posted December 26, 2008 - 05:19 PM

H said he'snot really interested, but if he was 24mm is the ticket.:busted:

• smokin529

Posted December 26, 2008 - 06:49 PM

Try putting the forks flush with the triple clamp, adjust your rear wheel as far back as possible, and get a stablizer:busted:

You can't go wrong with a steering stabilizer..I won't ride without one. It made my '07 YZ450 way more predictable!:busted:

• mike_dean

Posted December 27, 2008 - 04:02 PM

I tried using mine for a Hare Scrambles, I didn't like the fact it has no rear grab handles, trying to lift it over logs or out of a tough spot you have to grab the rear fender, other than that it is a great bike. Mike

• qwik12beat

Posted December 28, 2008 - 07:27 AM

I tried using mine for a Hare Scrambles, I didn't like the fact it has no rear grab handles, trying to lift it over logs or out of a tough spot you have to grab the rear fender, other than that it is a great bike. Mike

Just grab it by the frame,and press it over your head:busted:

• mike_dean

Posted December 28, 2008 - 08:22 AM

Just grab it by the frame,and press it over your head:busted:

I wish I could that would solve alot of my problems, maybe when I was younger:cripple:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.