No start???

11 replies to this topic
  • fordman

Posted December 23, 2008 - 09:45 PM

Hey yall my 03 wr450 has set for a couple of months in a cold storage shed and now will not start turns over great but wont fire what can I do? Need to ride badly any help would be appreciated.
thanks

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 23, 2008 - 10:32 PM

I'd start with assuming the fuel has gone bad... or you have condensate in the float bowl...

Turn the fuel on and tip the bike on it's side until fuel comes out your overflow tube under the bike, upright the bike and try to start.. if it still does not start drain the carb and tank and put new fuel in and try it again..

good luck.

• William1

Posted December 24, 2008 - 04:45 AM

You may also have a clogged pilot jet. Replace, do not bother to try to clean it. The cost of the jet ($5) is not worth the frustration if it is not perfectly clean.

• jhmotard

Posted December 24, 2008 - 09:51 AM

You may also have a clogged pilot jet. Replace, do not bother to try to clean it. The cost of the jet ($5) is not worth the frustration if it is not perfectly clean.

why replace it??

• Kaleb

Posted December 24, 2008 - 09:54 AM

I agree with William...replace the jet...I had the same problem...easier to just replace...wouldn't mess with cleaning a jet.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 24, 2008 - 10:41 AM

I'd start with assuming the fuel has gone bad... or you have condensate in the float bowl...

Turn the fuel on and tip the bike on it's side until fuel comes out your overflow tube under the bike, upright the bike and try to start.. if it still does not start drain the carb and tank and put new fuel in and try it again..

good luck.

Is that the only way to drain the bowl on the carb? Isn't there a screw on the bottom.

But the concept is right. You need to clear out the gas in the carb as the first step.

Then get some starting fluid and give it a squirt or two directly into the airbox. that will fire it up right away. If it won't stay running, then clean the carb.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted December 24, 2008 - 11:24 AM

why replace it??

The passageways are tiny in the pilot. Therefore, even a very slight film has the effect of significantly affecting the size of the jet. It is soft brass, you try to pass a thin wire or other material through it, you can scratch it, thereby causing the jet to become larger. Some have had good luck cleaning in solvent using an ultrasonic cleaner. If a film is on the jet after cleaning, it can be a catalyst to clog sooner. Sometimes, it will not come clean. So to me, the trouble, inconvenience and frustration dealing with a dirty pilot jet is not worth the five bucks.

• willy_fitz

Posted December 25, 2008 - 07:45 AM

If the bike is turning over very freely you may have lost compression due to lack of lubrication since all the oil is no longer on the cylinder walls and the rings are not seating perfectly.
Try kicking the bike over with the kickstarter and see if compression seems to be low. You can then try this old trick, Remove plug and add a small amount of oil down the spark plug hole. Stroke the piston a couple of times and re-install plug and try starting. The addition of the oil will create enough of a seal to raise the compression and the bike should start.
This is normally only a problem if the bike has been in storage for quite a while.

Good Luck

• bg10459

Posted December 25, 2008 - 09:09 AM

I'd try fresh gas and a new plug first. If that doesn't work, then dig deeper.

• brad the best

Posted December 25, 2008 - 10:55 AM

The passageways are tiny in the pilot. Therefore, even a very slight film has the effect of significantly affecting the size of the jet. It is soft brass, you try to pass a thin wire or other material through it, you can scratch it, thereby causing the jet to become larger. Some have had good luck cleaning in solvent using an ultrasonic cleaner. If a film is on the jet after cleaning, it can be a catalyst to clog sooner. Sometimes, it will not come clean. So to me, the trouble, inconvenience and frustration dealing with a dirty pilot jet is not worth the five bucks.

exactly , that hole is so precise i don't even like blowing through them with my mouth i swear that can screw them up . there dirt cheap and then you know its fixed i have cleaned out the same set of carbs three times before they ran properly .

plus you will probably spend 5$ just on carb cleaner to clean out the jet .

p.s please don't use starting fluid . next time i see a cracked block from some one dropping a e-bomb im taking a picture just for this forum . or some serious cylinder scoring because it was dried out so bad , blown off intake manifold , head , seized con rod bearing . don't get me wrong ether starts things but its not made for dirt bikes .

• William1

Posted December 25, 2008 - 11:45 AM

Starting fuid cracks me up.

• brad the best

Posted December 25, 2008 - 11:53 AM

Starting fuid cracks me up.

if starting fluid cracks you up you should see an e-bomb . first time i saw some one pull one i actually fell over laughing , glad it wasn't my machine .

basically you take a can of ether and pop a huge hole in it with your knife then throw it down the pre-cleaner stack onto the air filter and run inside the cab crank it till it runs . i just could not believe some one would do that .

northern alberta is a strange place , luckily that was on a 777( most people use two because they have more then one filter) those things love the ether . i still laugh thinking about e-bombs , you see a lot of young hd mechanics get mad when something is not starting and drop a e-bomb .

proud to say i still haven't had to drop one .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.