Muffler bearings

37 replies to this topic
  • JADENHYRUM

Posted January 30, 2003 - 10:13 AM

I fixed the piston return spring when I bored it out to a 825cc, But I did have to upgrade the flux capacited. I dont think the old style carb bikes need this high tech stuff though, so I think your O.K.

• jwriott

Posted January 30, 2003 - 10:28 AM

I was working on my flat bed trailer and noticed some cracks in the decking and the frame.

Anyone know where I can get some wood welding rod and some liquid steel?

• racemile

Posted January 30, 2003 - 11:00 AM

You have to be careful how you handle the muffler bearing grease. It is not environmentally safe. I have heard it can lead to mutations in pets, such as monster cat poop eating- dawgs. Almond rocha anyone??

:) :D

Racemile

• lewichris

Posted January 30, 2003 - 12:52 PM

euro dog i cant quit laughing. Damn funny

Chris

• TMoo

Posted January 30, 2003 - 01:08 PM

vmaxcbr900wr426,
If you look in any wood manual, they recommend using a wood grain alignment tool and to pound in a few toe nails. That should solve all your problems. hmmph, wood welding rods are for the under skilled.

• moto2000

Posted January 30, 2003 - 02:38 PM

I just have the old style muffler bushings....can I upgrade to bearings or do I have to buy a whole new muffler? :) Any help would be appreciated.

• ThumperWR450F

Posted January 30, 2003 - 02:38 PM

I JUST GOT MY WR TUESDAY AND THE MUFFLER BEARINGS WENT YESTERDAY. I TOOK IT TO MY DEALER TO GET IT FIXED AND HE CHARGED ME $400.00.HE ALSO REPLACED THE STOCK BEARINGS WITH THE NEW TEFLON COATED TITANIUM ONES. I THOUGHT THAT WAS A GREAT DEAL. HE ALSO FILLED MY BLINKERS WITH ORANGE FLUID AND MY BRAKE LIGHT WITH RED FLUID.I WENT TO WALMART TO MAKE A COPY OF MY WOODRUFF KEY BUT THEY WERE ALL OUT OF BLANK WOODRUFF KEYS SO THEY COULDN'T CUT ONE FOR ME.

• tctrailrider

Posted January 30, 2003 - 03:11 PM

This is the best thread ever. I didn't know about any of this stuff, its a wonder my bike even runs. The mechanic at our local Yami shop won't call me stupid anymore.

• F6dood

Posted January 30, 2003 - 05:49 PM

Muffler bearing disorder has spread to the Valkyrie web site. Its an epidemic, out of control, they don't have as many solutions as TT but they are talking about blinker fluid as a possible remedy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tom_Rowlee

Posted January 30, 2003 - 07:37 PM

A little known fact is that Yam started to put them muffler bearings in ther 4 stroke bikes back in 98 but i just took them out and saved 5 pounds the bike dont work but hay it saved me some weight [ we cant have every thing now can we ]

• Jim_Patterson

Posted January 31, 2003 - 03:35 PM

I checked my muffler bearings this evening. They were West/Northwest. As a result I've concluded that I'm lost in Yonkers.

• Jekel

Posted January 31, 2003 - 05:42 PM

Just a warning to everyone...... One night late before a ride I mistakenly put the muffler bearing grease in my blinkers and my blinker fluid in my muffler bearings. totaly blew out the purple power valve in my 99 400.I ended up having to over bore the cylinder and have it teflon coated. Just pay close attention...........

• pymn2001

Posted February 01, 2003 - 08:55 AM

I live in england do I still have to put american air in to make my tires stick as you lot still use that old measuring system of pounds and we will soon be in the Euro so im getting very concerned ,and do I get it from american airlines,all these problems Im off to the shed

• Pete_Z

Posted February 03, 2003 - 12:11 PM

racemile - these mutations that you're talking about, do you mean your dog eats poop from monster cats, or your dog is a monster that eats cat poop? Just wondering because my dog eats cats and then has monster poops. I think that he might have had some exposure to muffler bearing grease at some point in time. Do you thing I've got anthing to worry about?

Peace Eh - P.Z.

• SMD

Posted February 03, 2003 - 01:21 PM

DING DING we have a winner!!!! :) :D

• JADENHYRUM

Posted February 03, 2003 - 01:26 PM

JUST GREASE THE *&^%$@ THINGS SO YOU WILL QUIET SHEARING OFF THE WOODRUFF KEY!!!!!!!!

• DUKAMP

Posted February 04, 2003 - 05:49 PM

Have any of tou fella's ever tried the reverse fire ignition module on the 400's? I did. starts and runs fine until i put it into gear, this is when I found that I now have five reverse gears amd only one forward. Could this be because I have never replaced the grease in me mufler bearings? :)

• jwriott

Posted February 04, 2003 - 06:08 PM

I actually had a bike that would start backwards. It was a 1979 Husky 250 OR model. Every once in a while, you'd kick the thing and it would run backwards. It was strange as hell.

The thing that really sucked was if you were on a steep hill and tried to start out, you just shot backwards. Even worse if your buddies were behind you and you rammed them when you put it in gear.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.