flooded my 426 HELP!!!!!!

24 replies to this topic
  • bunson2005

Posted December 23, 2008 - 09:27 AM

Hi had my 426 for two months now, great bike,
After finally working out the starting procedure, i could start my bike first kick hot or cold every time, but last week i started the bike to go for a ride, but with the choke on i twisted the throttle as i wheeled her out and stalled her.
Now i cant start her, think i have flooded her with me kicking aimlessly,

I really need help, whats the procedure to start my bike please help!!!!!

• qwik12beat

Posted December 23, 2008 - 09:41 AM

Clean the plug or replace it. That should do it. I give my yz throttle two quick whacks before i start it, and it loves it.

• bunson2005

Posted December 23, 2008 - 09:56 AM

thanks for the fast reply, was thinking of replacing the plug, but is there a procedure to start this bike as it is to get it back to my garage, its still stuck at my mates house.
or is it a lost cause if the plug is fouled, was thinking if i could get it started and give her a good ride it might help

• BC3

Posted December 23, 2008 - 10:17 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]A fuel fouled plug is usually DEAD .....I find it hard to believe that the plug fouled though.....You mentioned that you had solved your starting problem......Did you go richer on the jetting to achieve this? And maybe a little too rich...Because typically spark plugs that are in good shape don't foul unless the air fuel ratio is very rich.....(clogged air cleaner)
or something major (like jetting) [/COLOR]

• BC3

Posted December 23, 2008 - 10:21 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]Take the plug out and heat it up with a propane torch a bit
at the electrodes.....this might get it to start....then let it warm up with the choke OFF..... [/COLOR]

• bunson2005

Posted December 23, 2008 - 11:24 AM

thanks for the reply, with regards to the solving the starting, all it was, was me finally working out the knack of how to start it, not actually fixing anything that was wrong.

Basically what happened is that i started the bike but twisted the throttle just a few seconds later by mistake and stalled it, but now she wont start,
but i forgot to mention that only a few hours before i started the bike in the morning and switched her off after a few seconds, i think i made a mistake doing this???

• qwik12beat

Posted December 23, 2008 - 11:41 AM

Honestly,from what you describe the bike should start. Whats the temp over your way?

• bunson2005

Posted December 23, 2008 - 11:46 AM

it is about 7 celcius at the moment and fairly damp, been told that laying a flooded bike on its side helps?
do you have a procedure that i should follow to start?

• BC3

Posted December 23, 2008 - 11:48 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]Exactly.....I was under the impression that you had owned this bike for a while.....A four stroke takes a little getting used to... just go through your regular starting procedure.....Which would be turn the gas on, wick the throttle a couple times (choke on) bring the piston to top dead center (kick starter will be hard to push
at that point....pull the compression release and move the kick starter ever so slightly past top dead center....Now release the compression release and give her a good kick through (throttle closed) should start to a fast idle....I like to close the choke as soon as it starts and keep the engine at a fast idle till it warms up..

Good luck [/COLOR]

• bunson2005

Posted December 23, 2008 - 11:51 AM

so is it a case of just keep going with the same procedure or do you recommend another one for this situation, thanks for all your help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • craigdieselmac

Posted December 23, 2008 - 11:52 AM

Pull the hot start out and try that.. it will lean it out and it should start. Thats what I do when I accidently flood mine, or sometimes if I lay it over it floods and I have to use the hot start as well... just another trick to try

• BC3

Posted December 23, 2008 - 11:57 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]If it's really loaded up sometimes I hold the compression release in and kickit over a bunch of time s with the throttle open full....(No choke) and maybe you will get a back fire or two.....then precede with your regular starting method....

Yeah I forgot about the "HOT START" button (RED ONE) when your using the HOT START button keep the throttle completely closed....No choke...[/COLOR]

• jayh300

Posted December 23, 2008 - 12:04 PM

good advise guys. the only way i ever got mine started after a flood deal was to kick it over slowly about 20 times as bc3 says. BTW do not try to start that bike with the throttle held wide open.... I limped for a week.
the hot start could help too.. Mine was one of those bikes that liked no throttle at all. I always started mine the first time with my hand on the m/cyl to keep from twisting..

• BC3

Posted December 23, 2008 - 12:05 PM

so is it a case of just keep going with the same procedure or do you recommend another one for this situation, thanks for all your help

Why don't you just change the spark plug as recommended?.....As much time as you have spent on the computer you could have pushed your bike home...:busted: :moon: :p

• BC3

Posted December 23, 2008 - 12:07 PM

good advise guys. the only way i ever got mine started after a flood deal was to kick it over slowly about 20 times as bc3 says. BTW do not kick that bike with the throttle held wide open.... I limped for a week.
the hot start could help too.. Mine was one of those bikes that liked no throttle at all. I always started mine the first time with my hand on the m/cyl to keep from twisting..

:busted: :moon: :mad: :p

• qwik12beat

Posted December 23, 2008 - 12:11 PM

Why don't you just change the spark plug as recommended?.....As much time as you have spent on the computer you could have pushed your bike home...:busted: :moon: :mad:

:p True that, but where's the fun in that:smirk:

• jayh300

Posted December 23, 2008 - 12:12 PM

:busted: :moon: :mad: :p

in tennis shoes..... I thought my foot was gone.....
my first 4 stk.....

• BC3

Posted December 23, 2008 - 04:17 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]Yeah that sucks Bro, but we all have been BITTEN with tennis shoes on ...Doesn't say much for us does it......[/COLOR]:busted:

• laserracer

Posted December 24, 2008 - 01:29 AM

good advise guys. the only way i ever got mine started after a flood deal was to kick it over slowly about 20 times as bc3 says. BTW do not try to start that bike with the throttle held wide open.... I limped for a week.

Yeah mine is the same i find little short kicks at the bottom of the stroke about 10-20 and away she goes

• M0SSLAGER

Posted December 24, 2008 - 07:55 AM

Before I got the starting routine down I flooded mine a couple times. Couple things I learned... at least with mine if flooded is I turn the fuel off and lay the bike to the left and the fuel will drain out. Also when starting I will open the peck cock for a few seconds and then shut it off and then start the bike if it hasn't been ridden in a while and turn the fuel on after its running. If the bike is being restarted after a ride I always start with the fuel off and then turn it on after its running. Too many kicks with the fuel on will flood mine every time even with my hand off the throttle. Vacuum I suppose caused from kicking. Thats how I do it and it works like a champ every time now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.