08 Wr450

8 replies to this topic
  • ModMMax

Posted December 23, 2008 - 06:33 AM

Hello All,
New to this site. First post, tried to read all the rules and think I have it right. If I am doing this wrong I'll trust the old guard to point me in the right direction.

Purchased an 08 WR450 and rode it in stock form this past summer. Have to admit that I am disappointed in the performance. This thing will not lift the front wheel. I was told about the "uncorking" procedure so I read as much as possible and decided it needs to be done. Called a Yamaha shop in Calgary, Alta. and asked about it. Was told that the '08's do not have a throttle stop or any polution related stuff to change or remove. So, I am a little confused. Based on what I learned from reading on this site, I think I need to do the following:
1) rejet for my riding altitude
2) remove the polution stuff, AIS, some grey wire
3) open the air box
4) reduce the size of the front sprocket by one tooth
5) change the exhast system to a performance aftermarket

At this point, I could sure use the advice of someone who has been there. Is this mod list complete? What aftermarket exhaust system provides the best trail riding results? Most importantly, is there someone in Calgary who specializes in this kind of work?

Thanks in advance

• tribalbc

Posted December 23, 2008 - 07:15 AM

Well sounds like you need a new dealer :moon:
Yes your CAD 08 will need all the mentioned mods. Though if you change the exhaust and don't ride super tight single track you will be happy with the gearing.
It's all easier to do than driving your bike to the shop. Just take a look at the sticky's at the top of this page and they will lead you through it :busted:

• trailhead2004

Posted December 23, 2008 - 08:41 AM

Hello All,
New to this site. First post, tried to read all the rules and think I have it right. If I am doing this wrong I'll trust the old guard to point me in the right direction.

Purchased an 08 WR450 and rode it in stock form this past summer. Have to admit that I am disappointed in the performance. This thing will not lift the front wheel. I was told about the "uncorking" procedure so I read as much as possible and decided it needs to be done. Called a Yamaha shop in Calgary, Alta. and asked about it. Was told that the '08's do not have a throttle stop or any polution related stuff to change or remove. So, I am a little confused. Based on what I learned from reading on this site, I think I need to do the following:
1) rejet for my riding altitude
2) remove the polution stuff, AIS, some grey wire
3) open the air box
4) reduce the size of the front sprocket by one tooth
5) change the exhast system to a performance aftermarket

At this point, I could sure use the advice of someone who has been there. Is this mod list complete? What aftermarket exhaust system provides the best trail riding results? Most importantly, is there someone in Calgary who specializes in this kind of work?

Thanks in advance

Welcome aboard. I've been here for about 6 or 8 months now and there is definitely a lot of information to be found here.

About the throttle stop, I think you would know if it was installed. It limits throttle twist to about 1/3 of full throttle. I thought that was a Kalifornia only mod though, so it shouldn't affect you. But what do I know.

Regarding your list of modifications:
1) Definitely! Depending on your riding altitude, that may be some of the reason for the poor performance. These bikes seem to be generally lean from the factory so that could be part of the problem.

2a) AIS removal. Not hard at all but it won't give you much performance gain. If you decide to do it, the benefit is opening up a little more space around the rather tightly packed top of the engine. Weight-wise, it will only get rid of about 2 lbs.

2b) The Grey wire mod. There are plenty of opinions and not much fact surrounding this mod here on TT. I have done some research but haven't made it to the dyno yet to test some theories. The best I can tell you at this point is: The grey wire has to do with mapping the ignition advance curve in the CDI; With the wire connected, you get a slightly mellower WR advance curve. With the wire disconnected, you get a more advanced curve at a given RPM (it may not be noticeable at lower RPM) for the YZF; It appears that it is not an on-the-fly setting though. In other words, you would need to stop the bike, turn off the main power, select the desired setting, and turn the main power back on.
All of that being said, if you are looking for a more advanced curve on the ignition for all conditions, cut the wire on the chassis side of the CDI connector, NOT THE CDI SIDE, and cover the wire with a piece of shrink tubing. Leave it long enough that you can put a bullet connector on it or solder it back up in case you ever want to reverse the modification. Many people put a switch on the handlebars and run wires back to the CDI.

3) Open the airbox is an easy mod. The pro is increased airflow into the box. The con, you lose the extra protection from the snorkles and water can find it's way into the airbox easier. Just remove the three screws from the metal plate retaining the snorkles and put it all in a bag on the shelf. 5 minutes.

4) Gearing is so much about where and how you ride. You decide.

5) Exhaust. Depending on how much performance gain you want versus any noise issues you might have to deal with there are a couple of possible paths. I bought the GYTR exhaust insert for my bike. It wasnt too expensive, about $35, and it definitely opened up the exhaust a bit. I' wasn't looking for maximum power gain though and you might be wanting more. In that case, buy something aftermarket. I have never looked into it so I can't give you any suggestions there. Search around through the forum, I'm sure there are plenty of opinions to be found.

Best of luck to you and I hope your mods make you happier with your WR. I know I like mine and many others do too so there can't be anything too terrible about the bike!

trailhead2004 :busted:

• RedBull420

Posted December 23, 2008 - 09:53 AM

What dealer did you buy it from?

I recommend doing all the mods mentioned. I have a 08 Wr and my front wheel lifts in the first three gears without even trying.

Things you should consider:

Re-jet (get YZ needle)
AIS Removal
Quick Shot 2
Throttle Stop Mod
Grey Wire
ACV O-Ring Mod
Air Box Mod
Replace or "un-cork the exhaust"
Gearing is not a must right away, maybe ride and see how it feels for you. I went up one tooth on the rear. Most important is invest in quality protection - Skid Plate, Rad Guard, Bark Busters ect... our terrain around here is not very forgiving

Search Search Search - There is TONS of great info on here that will help you fall in love with your WR.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RedBull420

Posted December 23, 2008 - 10:16 AM

Stickies are also very helpful.

• ModMMax

Posted December 23, 2008 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for the replys guys. Sounds like I am on the right track. I purchased the bike from Blackfoot Motorsports. As a result of your advice I started calling Calgary dealers and found one who knows what I need. I have an appointment early in the new year. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

• RedBull420

Posted December 23, 2008 - 12:48 PM

Well there your first problem... you bought the bike from Blackfoot. :busted:

• Kirkster

Posted December 23, 2008 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the replys guys. Sounds like I am on the right track. I purchased the bike from Blackfoot Motorsports. As a result of your advice I started calling Calgary dealers and found one who knows what I need. I have an appointment early in the new year. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

The free mods and a JD jet kit are not hard to do... I personally would not pay someone to work on my bike unless I was in the hospital...

It comes with a very complete manuel.

• bwardipi

Posted December 23, 2008 - 02:29 PM

yeah... i am reluctant to let dealers touch my bike also. In Australia the bikes are delivered a little different. Dealers do a de-restriction here that involves removing a baffle from the exhaust and an optional rejet. The spares kit comes with 175 main and 50 pilot (i think it's the pilot?) and a few others. It took me a while to find out what they were, because the dealer didn't know and had to pull apart a spares kit to find out what they actually were. By far the single biggest improvement was the removal of the snorkels on the air box... instantly transformed the bike.

I must say the the stock exhaust with a baffle or two removed and the pea shooter removed is not too bad. I have a white bros aluminium PRO as well, and although it gives it a bit more down low... the trade off is that it is very loud and makes the throttle a bit snatchy. Very sharp on/off power... not much in between. For more casual trail riding i will be putting the standard pipe back on for more enjoyment.

I haven't ridden dirt bikes since the 90's and none of them ever had power like this. It's certainly more than what i need for trails.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.