Does the Yz have the woodruff key problem?

2 replies to this topic

Posted January 29, 2003 - 01:03 PM

Seems like the e start on the Wr is what is causing the problem, is that true? If the bikes decomprestion release is not working right then it would put alot of pressure on the woodruff key, when you hit the e-start. Is this the cause? If this problem is not happening on the YZ then I would think it is the cause? Just like when you kick a bike and the decopresion, forces the kick starter to kick back and bite you leg. Just a thought, What is the real problem?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted January 29, 2003 - 03:05 PM

Not a problem on the YZ's so far but Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you wouldn't want them to hear you.... :)

Bonzai :D

• KiwiThumper

Posted January 29, 2003 - 03:48 PM

With the lighter flywheel on the YZ, the rotational mass is less, thus the force on the woodruft key is less which "should" mean it is less likely to shear. Remove the added stress of the e starter and its unlikely to ever cause a problem.
My 10c worth is the only reason they are shearing is the incorrect torque from the factory. This is even more evident in that they have placed amendments in the manual specifically about this issue.
Unless someone has sheared it twice, I would just check it and forget it.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.