XR100 Optimum Suspension Travel

16 replies to this topic
  • Squidless

Posted December 22, 2008 - 07:16 PM

I'm restoring a 2000 XR100. The rear suspension linkage (the triangle with three holes) is worn out and I'm planning on CNC'ing a new one. I realized that by changing the shape of it slightly, I can increase the rear suspension travel.

Stock for this bike was 4.7". New bikes have 5.5". What do you think would be optimum? I'm assuming that I'm not going to change the front forks any time soon.

- Brad

• Frank ZX

Posted December 22, 2008 - 07:31 PM

I'm restoring a 2000 XR100. The rear suspension linkage (the triangle with three holes) is worn out and I'm planning on CNC'ing a new one. I realized that by changing the shape of it slightly, I can increase the rear suspension travel.

Stock for this bike was 4.7". New bikes have 5.5". What do you think would be optimum? I'm assuming that I'm not going to change the front forks any time soon.

- Brad

Brad,Have you been to the socalxrs.com?There is some info on this subject.Look under the tech section.

• gman255

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:03 PM

http://www.tkraceproducts.com/

• Squidless

Posted December 23, 2008 - 04:55 AM

Interesting, TK race products has one with needle bearings. Socalxrs says that it doesn't work (in general).

Now I HAVE to try it. :busted:

- Brad

• socalxr

Posted December 23, 2008 - 09:12 PM

Interesting, TK race products has one with needle bearings. Socalxrs says that it doesn't work (in general).

Now I HAVE to try it. :busted:

- Brad

Uhhh . . . what did I say didn't work? The late model linkage on an early bike?? It didn't, but if you got a later swingarm, I think it does. But I don't remember.

• Squidless

Posted December 24, 2008 - 06:44 AM

I should have been more clear. Your article said that late model parts wouldn't work on older bikes. It also implied that you didn't know of an aftermarket linkage that would do it.

- Brad

• dumbdotdog

Posted December 24, 2008 - 07:45 AM

The 01 and newer triangle linkage is wider where it bolts to the swingarm. If you want to use it, you have to use a 01+ swing arm or a BBR swing arm.

• Squidless

Posted December 26, 2008 - 07:06 PM

I finished my modified triangle. It is designed to give an extra inch of travel.

It was CNC machined from 1 x 3 Cold Rolled Steel. I also made some delrin bushings while I was at it.

I had to grind the shock slightly to get it all to fit. It will be a while before I have a motor ready to put in this bike, so I won't be able to fully test it for a while.

- Brad

http://i312.photobuc.../triangle-2.jpg

http://i312.photobuc...ess/linkage.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • socalxr

Posted December 26, 2008 - 08:11 PM

I should have been more clear. Your article said that late model parts wouldn't work on older bikes. It also implied that you didn't know of an aftermarket linkage that would do it.

- Brad

It was written in 2001 when the new style xr100 just came out. I'm pretty sure It has 36pt font saying not to try it. However, I did set up a early frame with late model linkage a few years ago, but I just don't remember what I swapped out. When I get to it. I'll delete the article. Plus, I didn't use ebay back then. Now you can get a newer swingarm for just a few bucks and swap it out.

• dumbdotdog

Posted December 27, 2008 - 07:33 AM

I finished my modified triangle. It is designed to give an extra inch of travel.

It was CNC machined from 1 x 3 Cold Rolled Steel. I also made some delrin bushings while I was at it.

I had to grind the shock slightly to get it all to fit. It will be a while before I have a motor ready to put in this bike, so I won't be able to fully test it for a while.

- Brad

http://i312.photobuc.../triangle-2.jpg

http://i312.photobuc...ess/linkage.jpg

nice work on the linkage, Im impressed

• gman255

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:09 AM

Nice job.:busted:

• Squidless

Posted December 29, 2008 - 09:35 AM

Here's a side by side comparison. The bike in the back has the new linkage. The one in the front has the old linkage. It's a little unfair because the one in the front has worn bushings in the linkage, adding to the sag and the one in the back has a bald tire, making it look more extreme, but you can see the difference in the angle of the swing arm.

I'm going to convert the 2nd bike also.

I made three of these and I only need two. Does anyone else want to try one? If so, PM me. I'll decide who I send it to based on who I think will actually install it and give me feedback.

The new geometry does soften the suspension some (acts as if the spring isn't as stiff). It does require some minor grinding of the new triangle and of the end of the shock.

- Brad

http://i312.photobuc...esuspension.jpg

• socalxr

Posted December 29, 2008 - 01:56 PM

Hey Brad are you talking about this article?
http://www.socalxrs....reartravel1.htm

If so, I wrote it way back in late 2000 when the 2001 XR100 came out. If you have more pics and stuff and write up a little article I'll post it.. Obviously it's a bit outdated. It would be much appreciated.

• ct70nut

Posted December 29, 2008 - 05:07 PM

PM sent.

• ct70nut

Posted March 11, 2009 - 07:29 AM

Here's a side by side comparison. The bike in the back has the new linkage. The one in the front has the old linkage. It's a little unfair because the one in the front has worn bushings in the linkage, adding to the sag and the one in the back has a bald tire, making it look more extreme, but you can see the difference in the angle of the swing arm.

I made three of these and I only need two. Does anyone else want to try one? If so, PM me. I'll decide who I send it to based on who I think will actually install it and give me feedback.

The new geometry does soften the suspension some (acts as if the spring isn't as stiff). It does require some minor grinding of the new triangle and of the end of the shock. Overall I'm very happy with the improvement. Now I just need the time to put the 120 kit in it.

- Brad

I finally got this triangle on my bike, and it does raise the rear up at least an inch. Here is the before picture: Posted Image

And here is the after picture: Posted Image

The increase in travel is noticeable. The bike does seem to soak the nasties a little better. I didn't notice it feeling much softer, but it is a little soft anyway as my WP shock has lighter spring and I weigh about 200 lbs. I did have to grind quite a bit off the bottom shock mount, but otherwise it was an easy install.

• R_Little

Posted March 11, 2009 - 11:32 AM

Nice Job.

TK's first link bent the shock or something on full compression. He had to re-design it.

The TK link makes the spring feel softer too.

The new geometry does soften the suspension some (acts as if the spring isn't as stiff). It does require some minor grinding of the new triangle and of the end of the shock.

- Brad

• Squidless

Posted March 11, 2009 - 04:53 PM

CT70Nut,

Glad to see you got it installed. I have this on two bikes now.

Thanks for sharing.

- Brad

Related Content

Reviews

Honda CRF80F 2013 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF80F 2013
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

I need Opinion on an Issue for XR200R by vfrriderus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Cylinder boring Question by Sebastien

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

New and I bought a xr100r by 86indy

• Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

What Would Be The best dirt bike for a 12 year old? by ramis

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  48 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.