06 WR450 tapping noise

21 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2009 - 09:50 AM

I want to know if you looked inside the cylinder and could see the piston when it was at TDC when you set your valves. I always take a rubber hose and make sure I'm not at BDC. The valves are closed at both and it would be easy to make a mistake.

Not true.

The exhaust valve opens at around 60-70 degrees BEFORE BDC as the piston travels down on the power stroke, and remains open until around 30-40 degrees ATDC as the intake stroke is beginning. The intake valve opens at around 30-40 degrees BTDC as the exhaust stroke is ending, and stays open until about 60-70 degrees AFTER BDC as the compression stroke begins. Thus, there is no BDC in the 4 stroke cycle at which one valve is not open.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NorthCarolinaNick

Posted April 25, 2009 - 07:21 PM

Posted Image
Just to let you guys know, I bent the cam chain (#4) and part #9 while adjusting my valves by turning the crank the wrong way :banghead: This is what was causing the tapping noise. $500 bucks to have dealership tear it down and replace bad parts.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.