Hot start triggers

12 replies to this topic
  • Kent Rathgeber

Posted December 22, 2008 - 03:26 PM

Can someone tell me why in the name of all that's holy the manufacturers put the hot start trigger on top of the clutch perch???

That placement makes it much harder to pull in the clutch and use the hot start. Why don't the OEM's put the hot start trigger on the BOTTOM of the clutch perch so when pulling the clutch lever, your left thumb can activate the hot start??

• BC3

Posted December 22, 2008 - 03:33 PM

Good question...I can only think that they didn't figure on starting the bike in gear?

• Thrash1

I Have a Dr.D installed on my Bike and its below the throttle tube on the right hand side. It seems the most logical place to put it.. Well out of the way and on the throttle side to you don't have a tendency to twist it open when starting. Meh..

• ericinmichigan

alright Kent...you better just stop trying to throw out GOOD ideas to the engineers! If they do stuff like you are recommending, what the heck could they save to improve on in years to come? They have to leave themselves with some room for improvement, lol.

By the way...now that you threw your good idea out there, you should know that your patent rights will probably be lost (hopefully) on the manufacturers. Let's hope they seize this opportunity eh?

• BC3

Posted December 22, 2008 - 03:38 PM

I Have a Dr.D installed on my Bike and its below the throttle tube on the right hand side. It seems the most logical place to put it.. Well out of the way and on the throttle side to you don't have a tendency to twist it open when starting. Meh..

Yeah I have Dubachs lever also nice part....:busted:

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2008 - 03:45 PM

Can someone tell me why in the name of all that's holy the manufacturers put the hot start trigger on top of the clutch perch???

That placement makes it much harder to pull in the clutch and use the hot start. Why don't the OEM's put the hot start trigger on the BOTTOM of the clutch perch so when pulling the clutch lever, your left thumb can activate the hot start??

It's not that hard to use, but if you want one with the hot start under the clutch perch as a thumb lever, buy an ASV universal 4 stroke clutch lever/perch assembly. They've been made like that for years now.

You can search them on eBay, and buy the lever as a refurb right from ASV. I paid about $45-50 for mine. :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BC3

Posted December 22, 2008 - 04:18 PM

It's not that hard to use, but if you want one with the hot start under the clutch perch as a thumb lever, buy an ASV universal 4 stroke clutch lever/perch assembly. They've been made like that for years now.

You can search them on eBay, and buy the lever as a refurb right from ASV. I paid about $45-50 for mine. :busted:

Hey Gray, you start your bike in gear?

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2008 - 07:44 PM

Hey Gray, you start your bike in gear?

It's not my preference to, but yes, sometimes.

• BC3

Posted December 22, 2008 - 09:37 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]Yeah same here ......[/COLOR]

• Charlie755

Posted December 22, 2008 - 09:45 PM

alright Kent...you better just stop trying to throw out GOOD ideas to the engineers! If they do stuff like you are recommending, what the heck could they save to improve on in years to come? They have to leave themselves with some room for improvement, lol.

By the way...now that you threw your good idea out there, you should know that your patent rights will probably be lost (hopefully) on the manufacturers. Let's hope they seize this opportunity eh?

Are you from the U.P.? Eh? LOL. I grew up there and remember the cheezy sign when you came back through customs from Canada hanging on the W Easterday Ave bridge that said "Say Ya to Da U.P. Eh!"

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted December 24, 2008 - 08:29 AM

Good question...I can only think that they didn't figure on starting the bike in gear?

That just might be it, but my 07 YZ450F starts easier with the clutch pulled in - maybe a little less drag from a disengaged clutch?:busted:

BTW, I run a MSR perch with the hot start trigger on the bottom of the clutch side. I didn't like the Dubach lever because it's on the throttle side, I prefer the trigger on the clutch side.

• BC3

Posted December 24, 2008 - 12:48 PM

That just might be it, but my 07 YZ450F starts easier with the clutch pulled in - maybe a little less drag from a disengaged clutch?:busted:

BTW, I run a MSR perch with the hot start trigger on the bottom of the clutch side. I didn't like the Dubach lever because it's on the throttle side, I prefer the trigger on the clutch side.

Yeah it's like they don't think anyone can keep from turning the throttle while kicking the thing over......But that's Industry for ya....

• ericinmichigan

Posted December 25, 2008 - 07:14 PM

Are you from the U.P.? Eh? LOL. I grew up there and remember the cheezy sign when you came back through customs from Canada hanging on the W Easterday Ave bridge that said "Say Ya to Da U.P. Eh!"

I'm from Marne - just West of Grand Rapids in the lower peninsula. I guess the little expression catches on all over Michigan! lol...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.