hot start

4 replies to this topic
  • ragdoll 1

Posted December 22, 2008 - 02:40 PM

my hot start has siezed. last time i had it apart i put a dab of white grease on the o ring,what are you guys doing to prevent this from happining its been about four monthes ago when i did this rebuild. ican force it but it wont return then. its an 06 yzf450 thanks

• BC3

Posted December 22, 2008 - 02:52 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]Wow that's a good one...I guess I would take the plunger out and very carefully sand it with 600 wet and dry paper.....Are you sure it's not the cable?[/COLOR]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted December 22, 2008 - 03:06 PM

And instead of white lube, you are better off using either nothing or grease specifically made for orings.

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2008 - 03:36 PM

Never had a problem with any of the 3 450's, but we had some trouble with the older bikes we had with DRD hot start kit on them. In our case, the trouble was moisture intrusion corroding the interior of the hot start bore. If this is found to be the case, you must COMPLETELY remove all of the "white powder" corrosion from the interior of the bore. Use a penetrating/cleaning oil and a brass or stiff nylon pistol barrel brush (.30-.38 cal) and scrub it clean. Lube it with gasoline and test it for free operation.

As far as how to prevent teh problem, we never had any trouble unless we washed the bike, and as I said, we don't have any trouble with the '06's at all. Try to avoid blasting the carb, in the first. Since the wash job was the issue in our case, we kept them from sticking by running the engine after the wash and pulling the hot start, keeping it open for several seconds to draw water out of the hot start circuit. It always worked, as we never had to lube them after that, and never had them stick after we started doing that.

But if you also get the air filter pretty wet, you shouldn't run the engine until the filter's been dried or replaced.

• ragdoll 1

Posted December 22, 2008 - 06:04 PM

ok guys thanks ill try that and it a new cable with a works connection clutch hot start combo and the carb mods were done zip ty and i have the alum hot start nut it . thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.