Building up my 426

19 replies to this topic
  • M0SSLAGER

Posted December 22, 2008 - 01:01 PM

I know many people hate the 426 because of the compression release deal and the "hard to start" issues, but I guess I am lucky. I picked up a clean 01' YZ426 from a buddy around july of this year and decided to make it more my style and convert it to a desert bike for the So. Cal. high deserts that I ride at. I grabbed this bike for $1500 and have added an E-line 200 watt stator, Baja Designs 8" 100 watt light, Pro Moto billet kickstand, new plastics, IMS tank, Tag T2 bars, a graphics kit, switched it to a YZ250 pinger kicker, and cleaned it up. I tore the carb apart to see what I was starting with early on and changed out all the fluids. I have saved quite a bit on the tank and stator by buying from a guy online that used to race the 426 and has a ton of aftermarket parts still new from sponsors. I am into this bike for under $2500 and I feel pretty good about what I have to ride for that amount compared to what I see in the trader for this price. Its a great bike to ride and I can get it started in an honest 2-3 kicks. I wanted to start out on the cheap to see if I liked the 2 wheeler thing before spending big bucks on a new bike. I am coming from a Rhino and quad. What do you all think? Here are my before and after pix....Even on my before I had added new plastics already. Posted ImagePosted Image

• qwik12beat

Posted December 22, 2008 - 01:57 PM

Nice snag. You got a good deal in my opinion. I'm sure you will enjoy it:thumbsup:

• soco3594

Posted December 22, 2008 - 02:11 PM

Headlight looks a bit weird but thats a clean bike. I have a 426 and it kicks first time every time

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 22, 2008 - 02:13 PM

nice buy, if you look at the frame, it has hardly been ridden because there is almost no worn off paint.

• Racer808

Posted December 22, 2008 - 02:19 PM

There is nothing wrong with the 426, I had a 2001 yz426 that ran like a champ, started 1st or 2nd kick everytime. For me though, I ride MX and the thing was heavy. I moved up to a 450 and I miss my 426 for nostalgic reason, but truth be told, it was never ridden after I got my 08.

• BC3

Posted December 22, 2008 - 02:38 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]Man that baby is super clean....[/COLOR]:busted:

• 642MX

Posted December 22, 2008 - 05:04 PM

I'd put a 450 exhaust cam in it. Its the best $100 you can spend.

I've done all sorts of mods to my 426. Besides the auto decompression cam, the Rekluse clutch and 444cc kit was the best money spent.

Nice bike. :busted:

• M0SSLAGER

Posted December 22, 2008 - 09:59 PM

Headlight looks a bit weird but thats a clean bike. I have a 426 and it kicks first time every time

Ya the 8" BD light is a love it or leave it item. I dig the looks and the light output is great... and afterall thats what its about.

• yzhaulin

Posted December 22, 2008 - 10:32 PM

Nice bike and great buy, I got my 01 426 in March this year, my first 4 stroke after riding a 250 2 stroke(years ago). Just finished a new top end, and added the Hot Cams. The power is awesome and the auto compression release make's it a much easier procedure to starting the bike.

• matt4x4

Posted December 23, 2008 - 05:33 AM

funny how everyone hates starting these bikes - hot or cold - mine fires on first or second kick every time. Probably why I haven't (and won't) go to an auto decomp cam - I'd miss the anti theft feature if I made it easier to start.
That is a great bike in awesome shape, with basic maintenance - this thing will last you a LOOONG time!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Punisher413

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:31 PM

Sorry to jump on an old thread here, what plastics did you use for the bike, and where did you find the graphics kit for it? I think you got a great deal! Looks Sharp!

• 1998YZ400F

Posted January 04, 2009 - 02:23 PM

is that a flashlight zip-tied to the front fender?

• M0SSLAGER

Posted January 04, 2009 - 07:44 PM

is that a flashlight zip-tied to the front fender?

Sure is... Its a small 1 watt lithium powered LED light. I put it there one night I was doing a roller coaster type night ride with some technical drop sections. This way if I stalled the bike out or am off the throttle I still had some light to see in front of me. Thats the problem with my light set up is its ran solely off the E-Line stator and if you stall out you are in complete darkness. This little 1 watt light throws out a surprising amount of light (equivalent of a 3 "C" Mag light) and you forget its there.

• 1998YZ400F

Posted January 04, 2009 - 08:09 PM

yeah thats why i figured it was there. but you sure make me want to put my BD light back on my bike, i also have the E-line stator

• M0SSLAGER

Posted January 04, 2009 - 09:41 PM

Sorry to jump on an old thread here, what plastics did you use for the bike, and where did you find the graphics kit for it? I think you got a great deal! Looks Sharp!

I used Acerbis plastics and the graphics kit I got off Ebay. Anymore for the 400/426's thats the only place to find a kit that I liked.

• rufusz

Posted January 05, 2009 - 02:14 AM

Just wondering, why did you change the kicker to a 250's one???

• M0SSLAGER

Posted January 05, 2009 - 04:01 AM

Just wondering, why did you change the kicker to a 250's one???

Shorter kick makes it easier to start when off camber on hills... at least for me. Its easier to get on top of the lever without my knee up so high

• rufusz

Posted January 05, 2009 - 11:30 PM

Have to try that out, I'm also having problems starting it up on hills due to my height. thx

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted January 11, 2009 - 08:58 PM

hey M0SSLAGER check your messages i sent you one!!

• Florida_426

Posted January 14, 2009 - 10:00 AM

That is a really nice looking scoot you have. The mode you did are first rate. As stated do the 450 DCM and enjoy the ride.

Bill

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.