03 yz450f clutch won't disengage completely

5 replies to this topic
  • marker

Posted December 22, 2008 - 09:31 AM

Hello All,
Forgive me if this has been covered. I did not see it, but I am new and trying to figure this all out. I have adjusted the lever so much that there is no free play in my clutch lever, but with it all the way in the clutch is not disengaged all the way. When I shift into first the bike clunks hard and the bike wants to roll forward. It stays engaged enough that it won't start in gear even with the clutch pulled all the way in.
Any help would be very appreciated.
Thank you!

• William1

Posted December 22, 2008 - 10:51 AM

How is it once the bike is fully heated up? If it is ok, then I suggest just get used to it. If it is the same, the clutch hubs may have become 'notched' causing the plates to hang a bit. If this is the case, it may be worth the trouble to pull the inner hub and plates off to check. If the fingers and splines are not too severely dented, sometimes, a little light filing can restore them (removed from the bike and throughly cleaned when done, of course). If they are deep, replacement is the cure. Be sure to measure the spring free length and disk (steel and fiber) thickness while you are in there,

• BC3

Posted December 22, 2008 - 02:28 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]There was a bulletin for a CLUTCH FIX on the 03 YZ450..
I performed it on mine and the clutch disengaged fine(a little harder clutch pull after the fix) Do a SEARCH FOR CLUTCH FIX [/COLOR]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marker

Posted December 22, 2008 - 11:13 PM

Thanks guys. I will try both.

• condor74

Posted December 22, 2008 - 11:22 PM

I am not familure so much with the yz450f, but for what it is worth every dirtbike I have ever owned has had drag on the clutch making it very hard to start in gear. I would consider it normal if it gets better as the bike warms up. Make sure you put some free play back in your clutch adjustment or you will be buying a new clutch anyway.

• grayracer513

Posted December 23, 2008 - 07:36 AM

Noticeable additional drag while starting is normal. Drag to the extent that the bike has to be held back while standing in gear is not, nor is so much drag that the bike can't be started in gear at all.

This is not a special "clutch fix" situation, just a simple matter of a clutch in need of reconditioning in most cases. Clutch drag is usually caused by, more or less in order, simple adjustment, plates that are not flat enough, plates that are unevenly worn, notching of the basket/boss, or springs that have sagged unevenly or lost tension unequally.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.