Emergency! Hard to Kick!!!!!

7 replies to this topic
  • kamaral26

Posted December 21, 2008 - 07:55 PM

Hey guys Im new here as a member but have randomly browzed before for help for small things but had to join cause my 08 is having some issues!!! Ive had this bike for 10 months now and have about 120 hours on it. A few weeks ago I was riding at hollister hills and took a super slow singletrack through the hills and the bike heated up and the radiator boiled over i let it cool and started it and hauled ass back to the truck everything was fine. the next time i go to ride it was like the bike was running into compression like it didnt have the built in decompression and was hard to start....took it to the dealer they said the decompression mechanism was working fine when they pulled the top cover off...still have the problem!!!!! The bike runs fine when it actually starts but i have to bump it cause the compression makes it too hard!!! anyone know what this could be!!!!

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 21, 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hey guys Im new here as a member but have randomly browzed before for help for small things but had to join cause my 08 is having some issues!!! Ive had this bike for 10 months now and have about 120 hours on it. A few weeks ago I was riding at hollister hills and took a super slow singletrack through the hills and the bike heated up and the radiator boiled over i let it cool and started it and hauled ass back to the truck everything was fine. the next time i go to ride it was like the bike was running into compression like it didnt have the built in decompression and was hard to start....took it to the dealer they said the decompression mechanism was working fine when they pulled the top cover off...still have the problem!!!!! The bike runs fine when it actually starts but i have to bump it cause the compression makes it too hard!!! anyone know what this could be!!!!

Either the autodecomp is not working and was overlooked, or you may have jumped a tooth on the timing chain. Check to see if your timing is right, at the cams. I believe that, if it did jump a tooth, the valves would be off enough to where the decomp would not be opening the exhaust valve at the right time, hence, being hard to kick. I could be wrong though. Gray will know.

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2008 - 09:36 PM

...you may have jumped a tooth on the timing chain. Check to see if your timing is right, at the cams. .

:busted:

• kamaral26

Posted December 22, 2008 - 10:15 AM

Thanks guys Ill definitly take a look and let you know!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kamaral26

Posted December 26, 2008 - 06:25 AM

You guys got it! The exhaust cam jumped a tooth on the timing chain! Thanks a million! I wonder why the dealer didnt notice that when they checked the valves???? Gonna have to have a talk with them. Anyways thank you both for the help its much appreciated and Im glad to be on here Ill definitly lend out my advice anytime I can on here! Happy Holidays!

• grayracer513

Posted December 26, 2008 - 07:59 AM

You guys got it! The exhaust cam jumped a tooth on the timing chain!

Now find the cause. If heat was involved, the cam may have seized temporarily. If not that, the chain itself and/or the tensioner may be at fault.

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 26, 2008 - 10:02 AM

exactly, inspect the cams for any damage and the seats that they ride on, as well as the tensioner. In my case I would just replace tensioner and chain if cams are okay.

• kamaral26

Posted December 27, 2008 - 12:33 AM

will do thanks

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.