wr 400 rattling

4 replies to this topic
  • yamaha2004r6

Posted December 21, 2008 - 07:54 AM

hi i hope some one can help :smirk: i have a 1998 wr400f which is making a clanking noise from the left side of the engine. It is quite loud and erratic and not a constant rattle you can hear it when idling standing still and when you ride it. It starts just fine and pulls really well.

Does any one any ideas many thanks.........:thumbsup:

• Dee Perry

Posted December 21, 2008 - 07:16 PM

Check the valve clearance. Mine started doing the same thing this summer. Turned out the piston was hitting the valve. Cost me a new top end. Wiseco piston---tolerance to close!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted December 22, 2008 - 05:57 AM

Funny how both your YZ and WR have the same issue....
So which bike do you REALLY have - it could be helpful to us in diagnosing.....

Where on the left is the noise? Top, bottom, middle??

• yamaha2004r6

Posted December 22, 2008 - 10:18 AM

Funny how both your YZ and WR have the same issue....
So which bike do you REALLY have - it could be helpful to us in diagnosing.....

Where on the left is the noise? Top, bottom, middle??

i thought being more or less the same engine i would have better luck posting on both but it is a wr 400

And the noise is fo the left middle to bottom thanks

• matt4x4

Posted December 22, 2008 - 12:33 PM

Take off the timing chain tensioner first - while you take it off, see if and how much it is pushing itself out as you loosen the screws - if it's not pushing itself out then there's a problem with the tensioner.
If it does push itself out, then the next step I would take is to remove the stator cover and look inside, could be a loose/fallen bolt (rear timing chain guide has a bolt behind flywheel.

Just wondering how many hours are on this machine and when was the last time the timing chain was replaced - could be that it's so stretched it's slapping around in there like crazy. Not a good thing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.