WR450 too heavy?!?!?

31 replies to this topic
  • FatBuoy

Posted December 21, 2008 - 07:34 AM

I've noticed a lot of comments about the WR450 being heavy. In doing research, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options for 450s with much lower weight. I'm wondering what yous guys are comparing it to. This is my first 450 4-stroke so I guess I don't know what I don't know... I sure love mine!

• ranger85

Posted December 21, 2008 - 08:56 AM

Maybe some people are use to two-strokes? Weight isn't an issue for me, especially the way this thing carries the weight so low in the frame, so it feels really light and nimble, more like a motocross bike. I've lugged around quite a few different 4-strokes in some pretty nasty stuff back east and I've never thought, man these things are heavy! In fact I always found myself less tired than riding the lighter 2-strokes and having to clutch them all day. They might be a bit heavier when loading, but that's about the only time I noticed it. I guess if you crash a lot to, and you have to pick it up constantly, you might start to notice the weight more.:thumbsup:

• Charles De Mar

Posted December 21, 2008 - 09:24 AM

They are all heavy when covered in mud and sunk to the axles. :thumbsup:

• Wrfrk

Posted December 21, 2008 - 09:37 AM

All the trail type 4t's are heavier than their MX counterparts, but only by a 20-30lb margin at the most. I don't find it's all that big of a deal considering what advantages I gain when trail riding one of these vs the MX version.

• brad the best

Posted December 21, 2008 - 11:04 AM

i weigh 150lbs soaked in mud , the bike weighs about the same as my dr200 did except it has 3 times the power and suspension .

i don't think the bikes that heavy .

• Dee Perry

Posted December 21, 2008 - 07:22 PM

X2 A little heavier than the 2 strokes but you get used to it real fast.

• MaddogYZ

Posted December 21, 2008 - 07:39 PM

The steel fraimed WR's do feel top heavy but its only an issue in really slow first gear type stuff. The alluminum bikes do carry their wieght alot better.

• WR450FGreg

Posted December 21, 2008 - 07:48 PM

The only times my '08 WR450F feels heavy are:

a) When I'm tired and I drop it.
:busted: In really tight going.

I love the thing! I would definately buy another one if I had my time over again.

Greg

• ARyder

Posted December 21, 2008 - 08:03 PM

I'm comming off a sportbike so this thing is really light to me. I suppose the perception of the bike being "heavy" differs from person to person.

• DrzDasher

Posted December 21, 2008 - 08:10 PM

grab a drz400s and tell me if it is heavy in real tight hard rocky stuff after the Zed

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaxPower

Posted December 22, 2008 - 12:02 AM

The only times my '08 WR450F feels heavy are:

a) When I'm tired and I drop it.
:busted: In really tight going.

I love the thing! I would definately buy another one if I had my time over again.

Greg

[COLOR="Green"]mine feels heavy when I try to put it on a stand to change a tire and when I try and push it up the ramp into the back of the truck
These bikes are heavy and there is no sugar coating it
[/COLOR]

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 22, 2008 - 12:15 AM

I have a wr450. Its heavy, but I still like the bike a lot.

Its not heavy on a play ride. But I started riding it in enduros and it felt heavy after about 60 miles in somewhat technical terrain. I really technical stuff, it feels really heavy.

The faster I go, the lighter it feels. I don't think that anyone thinks its heavy at anything over about 12mph.

The suspension and traction sure is good on it though...

• shrubitup

Posted December 22, 2008 - 12:25 AM

In fact I always found myself less tired than riding the lighter 2-strokes and having to clutch them all day.

Perhaps you were referring to a 125 or 200?? I lug and chug my 250 smoker all day and rarely touch the clutch on my Rekluse Pro. On my previous YZ 2T I didn't have the Rekluse and rarely found need to reach for the clutch to modulate traction it was more of an e-brake to stop acceleration.

I rode a 05 WR450F and it didn't feel necessarily heavy (like an XR650R) but it wasn't responsive even after all the free mods, an FMF can and a JD jet kit. However, that's me and I'm a fat 250 lbs. too.

• ranger85

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:39 AM

Perhaps you were referring to a 125 or 200?? I lug and chug my 250 smoker all day and rarely touch the clutch on my Rekluse Pro. On my previous YZ 2T I didn't have the Rekluse and rarely found need to reach for the clutch to modulate traction it was more of an e-brake to stop acceleration.

I rode a 05 WR450F and it didn't feel necessarily heavy (like an XR650R) but it wasn't responsive even after all the free mods, an FMF can and a JD jet kit. However, that's me and I'm a fat 250 lbs. too.

My KTM 300 2-smoke did pretty good in the extreme technical stuff back in NC, TN. But that thing was a torque monster with a heavier flywheel. The CR250s, and KX250's I rode would definately require some feathering of the clutch in some slimy waterfalls, tight rocky trails, steep rooted hills and such. However my KTM 400, and 525 would walk through this stuff much easier. Maybe the YZ250 is just the shiznit:ride: The great thing about the WR450 that I didn't feel so much in my pumpkins, is that you have the nimbleness of a motocross bike along with that more explosive 2-stroke power, this thing loves to rev, but yet can get down and dirty with its torque.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 22, 2008 - 09:46 AM

Ride an xr650r set up for Baja...you will learn realy quick what "heavy" really is:thumbsup:

• Kaleb

Posted December 22, 2008 - 02:24 PM

I've noticed a lot of comments about the WR450 being heavy. In doing research, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options for 450s with much lower weight. I'm wondering what yous guys are comparing it to. This is my first 450 4-stroke so I guess I don't know what I don't know... I sure love mine!

Hey Fatbouy, I think what most of those comments refer to is the feeling that the bike is heavy. You can take a WR and lay it down and then take a KTM 450 and lay it down and you would swear that the KTM is lighter when it really isn't. Trade off....I like the way my WR rides waaaaaayyy better than the KTM...that bike felt squirrley on the trails.

• blue814

Posted December 22, 2008 - 04:58 PM

The wr450 is heavy. After riding both a yz250 2 stk and a wr450 the last couple years I find the 450 works good if you're riding terrain in 2cd and 3rd gear or faster. If it is any slower then the 2 smoke works much much better. And no question when you are trying to pick them up....

• Wrfrk

Posted December 22, 2008 - 05:28 PM

Anyone know what the actual weight of a WR450 is, steel frame prefered? I'm guessing 280lbs +/- 2lbs, sure feels like a pig compared to what my '08 KX450 felt like...!

• shrubitup

Posted December 22, 2008 - 06:43 PM

Anyone know what the actual weight of a WR450 is, steel frame prefered? I'm guessing 280lbs +/- 2lbs, sure feels like a pig compared to what my '08 KX450 felt like...!

What bike you got now? I recall you were looking to trade your KX-F in for sumthin' else.

Your signature says WR but the garage has a KTM in it.:busted:

• Wrfrk

Posted December 23, 2008 - 08:08 AM

What bike you got now? I recall you were looking to trade your KX-F in for sumthin' else.

Your signature says WR but the garage has a KTM in it.:busted:

Currently I'm on a 04 WR450, had an 07 KTM then a 08 KX now back on this older WR. It's a nice bike though it's not as nice as the previous 2 mentioned. I've sorta turned buying and selling into a disorder er um hobby....:moon:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.