storm cycle link

6 replies to this topic
  • moto543

Posted December 20, 2008 - 08:47 PM

I was pumped to get one for my '04 450 but I read a review on BTO's web page where a guy said he noticed his shock was rubbing on the swing arm and discovered it was actualy too long. Any body else run into this? He said it was a lowering link so that would explain the rubbing. Not what I would get but any info on any problems with the link would be good to know. I really am having a hell of a time deciding between the link and new clamps.:thumbsup:

• YamaLink

Posted December 21, 2008 - 07:23 AM

On the pre-09 Yamahas rubbinng would occur with some of the connecting rods sold aftermarket; an inch of lowering, give or take just a mm, would cause the spring to rub on the swingarm tunnel. That's why a rocker is often used on the 04 Yamaha to lower the bike without any rubbing.

The 2009 Yamaha YZF changed things around and now a connecting rod/link can be used to lower the bike without issue.

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2008 - 08:58 AM

The Storm link to improve cornering doesn't have the rubbing issue because it doesn't lower the rear; it raises it. By so doing, the steering head angle is made steeper, and that is what helps the bike to turn more aggressively with less push. It also helps transfer more weight to the front when braking for corners, which helps, too. If you are looking at the Storm Link to improve cornering, then a lowering link is not what you want anyway, since lowering the rear makes the head angle shallower, exactly the opposite of what you would want to do.

Triple clamps with a reduced offset increase trail, which is a different aspect of steering geometry, without changing head angle. Increased trail changes the steering feel and the tendency to turn in in slower corners as the bike is leaned, but it doesn't really affect understeer ("push") much.

You may also want to check http://www.motorcycl...eringlinks.com/ to see if they have something for you, but again, don't use a lowering link if steering improvement is your goal. It will work against you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moto543

Posted December 21, 2008 - 09:48 PM

Definitely not looking to lower it, just curious if any issues have been noticed with the "MX" link. If I understand right, the link would raise the back end up, transferring weight farther forward, thus helping with cornering and braking. Correct? Will this help with the push in flat turns and with it wanting to stand up in ruts? Would a Pro Taper top clamp help? I'm looking at getting one to go with the link. It would let me get farther forward easier. These are really my only issues. It rails berms better than my '01 2 stroke but ruts and flat dry corners are an issue. I put PWR low boy radiators on it and they are amazing! Factory connection revalve is beyond words. I think I'm very close to a truly incredible bike. What is your advice on intermediate tires? Sorry for all the questions but I'm going to start racing again next year and would really like to show people you don't need new bikes every year to win.

• Ga450owner

Posted December 22, 2008 - 06:32 AM

Correct that is what it does.....
and it does not cause the shock to rub on anything. I have it on my 03 and it helps the beast corner better

• moto543

Posted December 22, 2008 - 07:18 AM

Ga450 - what do you think of your '06 vs the '03?

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2008 - 07:37 AM

... If I understand right, the link would raise the back end up, transferring weight farther forward, thus helping with cornering and braking. Correct? Will this help with the push in flat turns and with it wanting to stand up in ruts? Would a Pro Taper top clamp help? I'm looking at getting one to go with the link.

Weight transfer is secondary to the change in head angle. The steeper fork is where most of the benefit comes from.

A top clamp in and of itself will do nothing to change or improve the handling. Upper and lower pairs of clamps can change the trail, as I mentioned already. What a top clamp can do, if it offers alternative bar positions, is let you move the bars forward, which will make it easier for you to get your weight forward, which is critical.

'06 vs. '03? Done that. Night and Day.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.