tires

14 replies to this topic
  • Keener

Posted January 29, 2003 - 04:21 AM

Stock tires on my YZ450 are Dunlop Sports D739 G 110/90-19 and D739 FA 80/100-21. They seem slick as hell on loose terrain trails and hard pack track conditions.

I had Dunlop 755/756's on my 426 and loved them. Are there any other tires you guys have found that are better than the 755/756? Loose, Colorado rocky terain.

And, will a 120 fit the YZ you think?

• TexasThumper

Posted January 29, 2003 - 05:09 AM

I don't care for the 739's myself. I like the 756, but i get way better life out of Michelin S12 in the rear. I've also been told the M12 works great up front. The sizes are differant, get a 130 for the rear, its about the same as a 110 in the Dunlop.

• utvols

Posted January 29, 2003 - 05:53 AM

Keener

I have been a long time fan of the mich M12 front and S12 rear combo. This setup seems to work on a large range of riding conditions from total slop to rocks. If you want a longer tire life we have switched to the following after riding more in the mountains of east TN. Pirrelli MT44 front and MT16 rear. This is the combo that Randy Hawkins and Scott Summers suposedly run. The front works as well as any tire I have run and the rear is almost as good as S12. It only gives up a little bit of bite in mud compared to S12. Although it will spin it tends to always push forward. The current set on my 400EXC has over two hundred miles and still looks new. The rear S12 would have to be flipped long before now and would have some chunking on knobs if I had been riding in rock.

Bothe these choices offer longer tire life over any Dunlop combo I have tried

• Math

Posted January 29, 2003 - 11:28 AM

I'M surprised that you talk about a rear S12 and durability in the same sentence. My partner found that the Mich S12 was a great tire but not enough resistant...

• utvols

Posted January 29, 2003 - 11:58 AM

I guess it depends on your definition of tire wear. I see this all the time with street tires. One group is happy with 3000 miles while the other wants 8000 miles plus. The trade off is a consideration of your riding style. I want the same thing on the street as I do in the dirt. TRACTION!!! In the case of dirt tires I am happy with any tire that last over 200 miles before loosing the edge on the knobbies or chunking. This equates to about 4 or 5 really good rides or races. Is the tire toast at this point. NO My freinds line up to buy tires I consider wore out. It just falls under my personel preference to keep fresh tires on my bike. It's the only thing between me and the ground and I just consider this the cost of doing business.

• Math

Posted January 29, 2003 - 04:01 PM

I understand you well. I'm also thinking that the terrain we ride may be a little hard packed for the s12. We are trying the rear M12 for the first time this summer, have you ever ridden one on the rear? Your impression?

• utvols

Posted January 29, 2003 - 04:59 PM

The M12 front works great in everything. The M12 rear works great in medium to hard terrain but will put you on your butt or not get out of its own way in soft or muddy terrain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pooley

Posted January 29, 2003 - 05:02 PM

Why don't you use/like the S12 front?

• utvols

Posted January 29, 2003 - 05:07 PM

If all you ride in is loam or mud the S12 is an awesome tire. However the side knobs which are turned in a diamond shape are very prone to slide and push in any other terrain. The M12 knobs are square and although a little shorter knob offer a better compromise

• neWRiver

Posted January 30, 2003 - 12:51 AM

The M12 front works great in everything. The M12 rear works great in medium to hard terrain but will put you on your butt or not get out of its own way in soft or muddy terrain.

Roger that. The M12 rear is also dissappointing in mixed sand/gravel/rock and will make for a miserable day in anything beyond easy trails in the desert mountain regions I like to ride. I do like the M12 front for crossing over into varied conditions, though.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 30, 2003 - 01:03 AM

Hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm, O.K then.

• Math

Posted January 30, 2003 - 05:54 AM

Thank you for your input neWRriver and utvols. I have to try the D606 for dual sporting but will also try the m12 front :). I just got rid of that original front739 :D.

• CuLayTur

Posted January 30, 2003 - 07:58 AM

For the loose decomposed granite on the trails out here, I found the IRC VE 33 on the rear and the Dunlop 755 for a front hookup really well.

Curt

• Superbike

Posted January 30, 2003 - 08:36 AM

I am happy with any tire that last over 200 miles before loosing the edge on the knobbies or chunking. This equates to about 4 or 5 really good rides or races.

What do you race? Our enduro's put on 80-150 ground miles. Our trainimg rides are 60-100 miles. Hare scrambles are around 60 miles. I bet you put more miles in than you realize. I usually get 3 races or four rides out of the rear sometimes more. In Michigan the dirt is pretty soft most of the time. I have been running D755 front and a D756 rear. They work real well and cross over better than anyting I have tried. Look at the new 773's also. The look promising. ---Mike

• Math

Posted January 30, 2003 - 12:16 PM

What is the 755? Can't see it on the Dunlop website...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.