YA Say NObody Makes a Good Aftermarket Header Guard??

7 replies to this topic
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted July 11, 2002 - 11:33 AM

I think the Stock Yamaha Guard works Great for the FMF Powerbomb....Just weld on 3 8mm Stainless Steel bolts, add a nut on the bottom to act as a spacer, and a washer and nut on the top and Whoop...ther it is!

Plus when it's all beat up just buy another one.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cost less that $4.00 in hardware to modify.

NO MORE DESTROYED $130.00 MX PANTS...HOOOOOA!

Bonzai :)

• MN_Kevin

Posted July 11, 2002 - 05:37 PM

'Kaz,
I AM going that route as well. The welders here at my plant LOVE to do home projects. I was trying to get it done last week.

• Durtorpedo

Posted July 11, 2002 - 06:39 PM

Sure those welders love to do gov't jobs for the company guys...LOL! If you only knew how much they really liked it. :) :D

• freestyle111

Posted July 11, 2002 - 09:00 PM

still like mine betterPosted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted July 12, 2002 - 05:04 AM

Kevin,

Just make sure that you tell them to use the lowest setting on the welder. It's way easy to blow a hole in the header on the normal settings cause the metal is so thin. Also take care to go all the way around the bolt head or the header will crack in the weak spot and have to be re-welded later.

Freestyle...

That guard is beefy for sure...I guess if you hit a big tree or have a side impact with a Mack Truck the pipe would stand a better chance of survival. The only Issue I ever have is burning the right knee out of my new pants...This will stop that for sure.

Posted Image

Bonzai :)

• freestyle111

Posted July 12, 2002 - 05:18 AM

burning my pants was main reason i made that guard.i added the holes to help keep it cooler.i havent burnt pants since i put it on bike.i used tig welder to weld nuts on headpipe.

• BFLee

Posted July 12, 2002 - 06:05 AM

Originally posted by freestyle111:
burning my pants was main reason i made that guard.i added the holes to help keep it cooler.i havent burnt pants since i put it on bike.i used tig welder to weld nuts on headpipe.

Could you weld mine for me?

• freestyle111

Posted July 15, 2002 - 04:53 AM

if you bring it to any welding shop or muffler shop they will weld it for around $20.i will you cost you that much in gas to drive it over to me and picking it up.i will weld it for you if you want but i think it would be much easier for you to just walk in to your nearest muffler shop with guard and nut in your hand and them to weld it.if you ask the welder personally he probably wont even charge you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.