Back on a WR........

17 replies to this topic
  • Wrfrk

Posted December 20, 2008 - 03:53 PM

So after an exodus from the WR's I'm back. For the last 4 years I've been playing on '02 DRZ400/'05 KTM 300-and 2('04-'07) 450's/'08 KX 450. So after spending all that money I've decided it's just not neccesary to have the lastest and greatest and I've come back to a WR.
I just aquired a very lightly used 2004 WR450 for $3400. In the last 3 years it's only been ridden 4 times and all prior rides were not that agressive. It also came with a list of goodies;
New IMS 3.5 gal desert tank
New Cycra Pro Bend bark busters
New Michilen tires Front and rear
Scotts Steering Stabilizer
Utah Sport Cycle skid plate
Trail Tech computer with billet mount
Seal savers
Devol frame guards
Additional set of new plastic
And like I said the bike seems to be in very good condition and after 5 possible years of use (3 of which there was little to none) it's in excellent shape. So at any rate, I'm pretty happy to be back on a Yamaha, now me and my son match (lol). This bike does seem pretty darn heavy though, guess I will just adjust to the weight........ Anything I should know about this year???

• SpyridonMexas

Posted December 20, 2008 - 04:44 PM

You chose wisely. I have the same model/year and it's the best year if you ask me. Weight is a problem but don't forget that it's a 450 you'll get used to it.

• Wrfrk

Posted December 21, 2008 - 12:04 PM

I am curious, how many updates "significant" have come out since this model year!!!!

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 21, 2008 - 02:04 PM

I am curious, how many updates "significant" have come out since this model year!!!!

2005: The first of the enviro friendly, politically correct WRs. They came equipped with an air injection system and leaner jetting than in the past. The cams were also dumbed down from the '03-'04 bikes. An aluminum muffler replaced the old stainless boat anchor and although it is significantly lighter, it is ALOT more restrictive...even when uncorked. The gas tank shrunk to 2.1 gallons and I believe the seat was lowered a bit to give the impression of a lower center of gravity. I believe the '05 also got the 48 mm AOSS KYB fork from the YZ...with different spring rates and valving of course. Renthal bars came stock.

2006: Same as the '05 with the addition of a digital "enduro" computer and BNGs.

2007: The first of the beer can framed bikes. It also recieved the new engine from the YZ with the oil tank between the cases. The AIS was reconfigured to look less "gay" a the stock jetting was leaner still from the '05-'06 bikes. Although the suspensions were pretty much the same as the '05-'06 the bike handles better in roll mode because of the way the AL frame carries the weight. LED tailight and a headlight that doesn't look like it came off an XR complete the changes. Pro taper fat bars came stock.

2008: Ticker gas tank plastic to conform to CA's gas tank evaporation standards. Basically the tank is alot less porous than in the past. Black clutch, ignition, and starter motor covers and alluminum timing plugs were also added. BNGs.

2009: BNGs.

2010: This is speculation but this bike is absolutely DUE for FI. There really is no reason why not...1. this is one of the hardest carb'd bikes to work on and 2. The other japanese makes as well as a couple of euro companies have made FI work off road in a very reliable fashion. The SSS fork from the YZ as well as heavier spring rates/more agressive valving wouldn't hurt either. Another thing I'd like to see is a 6 speed trans with the same ratio spread of the current 5 speed.

• MTrowbridge

Posted December 21, 2008 - 02:16 PM

So after an exodus from the WR's I'm back. For the last 4 years I've been playing on '02 DRZ400/'05 KTM 300-and 2('04-'07) 450's/'08 KX 450. So after spending all that money I've decided it's just not neccesary to have the lastest and greatest and I've come back to a WR.
I just aquired a very lightly used 2004 WR450 for $3400. In the last 3 years it's only been ridden 4 times and all prior rides were not that agressive. It also came with a list of goodies;
New IMS 3.5 gal desert tank
New Cycra Pro Bend bark busters
New Michilen tires Front and rear
Scotts Steering Stabilizer
Utah Sport Cycle skid plate
Trail Tech computer with billet mount
Seal savers
Devol frame guards
Additional set of new plastic
And like I said the bike seems to be in very good condition and after 5 possible years of use (3 of which there was little to none) it's in excellent shape. So at any rate, I'm pretty happy to be back on a Yamaha, now me and my son match (lol). This bike does seem pretty darn heavy though, guess I will just adjust to the weight........ Anything I should know about this year???

You have a great bike. Only tip I'll give for the weight, is not fill your IMS tank beyond halfway for rides in tight circumstances (i.e. woods, etc). The bike will actually have a lower Center of Gravity than a stock WR because the gas will be lower in average height.

Only use the IMS tank's full capacity for long rides when you will actuall need all the gas....

• Paulsy

Posted December 21, 2008 - 04:29 PM

How does the WR compare to the KTM 300 2 stroke? One of these two bikes will be my next purchase with little to separate them (WR450 best 4 stroke, 300EXC best 2 stroke). Thanks.

• Wrfrk

Posted December 21, 2008 - 04:41 PM

Tough question as they are both very solid bikes. I will say though, if all my riding was done in tight single track technical terrain, it would easily be the 300. But because I ride in terrain like that as well as open desert with deep sand washes where the 4t reigns supreme I have to go with the WR, or any type of trail type 4t.
I don't know what your terrain is like in NZ so I could not say what will work best there, both are excellent and neither is really better than the other. I've had so many bikes just in the last year, that I've found it's best to have both if you can, settle if you can't.

• tribalbc

Posted December 21, 2008 - 05:10 PM

You have a great bike. Only tip I'll give for the weight, is not fill your IMS tank beyond halfway for rides in tight circumstances (i.e. woods, etc). The bike will actually have a lower Center of Gravity than a stock WR because the gas will be lower in average height.

Only use the IMS tank's full capacity for long rides when you will actuall need all the gas....

Exactly :thumbsup:

• Paulsy

Posted December 21, 2008 - 06:06 PM

Tough question as they are both very solid bikes. I will say though, if all my riding was done in tight single track technical terrain, it would easily be the 300. But because I ride in terrain like that as well as open desert with deep sand washes where the 4t reigns supreme I have to go with the WR, or any type of trail type 4t.
I don't know what your terrain is like in NZ so I could not say what will work best there, both are excellent and neither is really better than the other. I've had so many bikes just in the last year, that I've found it's best to have both if you can, settle if you can't.

Thanks for that. I feel that there isn't really a wrong choice with these two and it will come down to condition and the best deal. Most of the riding near here is tight forest trails, riverbeds, shingle roads and open grassland. Some of it is mighty steep too. KTM has really captured the off road market down here (Christchurch - South Island) and on every organised trail ride I've been on there has been a sea of orange bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 22, 2008 - 12:36 AM

How does the WR compare to the KTM 300 2 stroke? One of these two bikes will be my next purchase with little to separate them (WR450 best 4 stroke, 300EXC best 2 stroke). Thanks.

the wr450 is a great bike. Its supremely reliable and predictable.

The ktm300 may be the perfect bike. Its relativel light, very powerful, and doesn't have the wicked ways of most 2 strokes. Its as smooth as a 4 stroke with a wide powerband.

Speed and power on these bikes will be pretty much the same for all but the best riders/racers. I've spent some time on both and would probably choose the ktm300. Its a lot lighter and is a lot easier to handle.

• YamaLink

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:05 AM

Another speculation for 2010 is the WRF will follow the YZF and WR-X/R's linkage design; move the upper pivot below the swingarm.

But fingers crossed for SSS and/or fuel injection!

2010: This is speculation but this bike is absolutely DUE for FI. There really is no reason why not...1. this is one of the hardest carb'd bikes to work on and 2. The other japanese makes as well as a couple of euro companies have made FI work off road in a very reliable fashion. The SSS fork from the YZ as well as heavier spring rates/more agressive valving wouldn't hurt either. Another thing I'd like to see is a 6 speed trans with the same ratio spread of the current 5 speed.

• dazzabb

Posted December 22, 2008 - 10:45 AM

the wr450 is a great bike. Its supremely reliable and predictable.

The ktm300 may be the perfect bike. Its relativel light, very powerful, and doesn't have the wicked ways of most 2 strokes. Its as smooth as a 4 stroke with a wide powerband.

Speed and power on these bikes will be pretty much the same for all but the best riders/racers. I've spent some time on both and would probably choose the ktm300. Its a lot lighter and is a lot easier to handle.

I dunno about that maurice, the 300 is pretty fiery and still breaks traction pretty easily, easier than my 450 - but I agree the power is well spread.

Both are good bikes.

Like everyone says the WR is heavy, but reliable and IMO has the better suspesion.

I have an 05 WR and an 08 KTM and the WP on the KTM is shite, its getting a re-valve as we speak.

I reckon you'd probably be happier on the 300 in NZ knowing how tight it can get down there, but I almost guarentee you would want a re-valve front and rear to get the suspension how you like it. Whereas on the WR the stock set-up is likely gonna be tuneable? to your conditions.

Also the Kato can be "tuned" with the different PV springs, and this makes a big difference.

• Paulsy

Posted December 22, 2008 - 02:20 PM

Both are good bikes.

Thanks for the advice Dazzabb. As I say I don't think there really is a bad choice there so we'll see what good bargains turn up after Xmas. Both are road legal down here in NZ which is good as it makes trail riding so much easier. My last bike was a CR250 with no flywheel weight or any other form of concessions to trail riding and it was a real struggle in the slippery going (far too explosive). Time to get sensible.

• denny49

Posted June 29, 2009 - 07:09 PM

Wow, I know thuis thread is old but I find myself in the same situation. I just picked up a 05 WR450 with 195 miles on it for $3,800..man is it mint. just got back into riding after a three year layoff, had 5 ktms, a honda and a suzuki, also a 03 WR450.I thought the WR450 was a great bike to buy when going used, everything else was more money.Looking for some setup tips, not sure if i should put fatbars on it or not. need to know before i buy hand gaurds.Your input is greatly apreciated....Denny49

• naroy2

Posted July 02, 2009 - 11:50 AM

If you're riding in the woods, both bikes have more power than you will ever need. The KTM 300 is just lighter and snappier throttle, but will lug some. If I was going to a 2-stroke for the woods, it would either be a KTM 250 or even a 200. I've rode the 200 and it is awesome all around, especially tight single tracks. If you ride at high speeds (40 +) a whole lot, the 250 or 300 would probaly suit you better than the 200.

• NMNORGE

Posted July 02, 2009 - 01:25 PM

2005: The first of the enviro friendly, politically correct WRs. They came equipped with an air injection system and leaner jetting than in the past. The cams were also dumbed down from the '03-'04 bikes. An aluminum muffler replaced the old stainless boat anchor and although it is significantly lighter, it is ALOT more restrictive...even when uncorked. The gas tank shrunk to 2.1 gallons and I believe the seat was lowered a bit to give the impression of a lower center of gravity. I believe the '05 also got the 48 mm AOSS KYB fork from the YZ...with different spring rates and valving of course. Renthal bars came stock.

2006: Same as the '05 with the addition of a digital "enduro" computer and BNGs.

2007: The first of the beer can framed bikes. It also recieved the new engine from the YZ with the oil tank between the cases. The AIS was reconfigured to look less "gay" a the stock jetting was leaner still from the '05-'06 bikes. Although the suspensions were pretty much the same as the '05-'06 the bike handles better in roll mode because of the way the AL frame carries the weight. LED tailight and a headlight that doesn't look like it came off an XR complete the changes. Pro taper fat bars came stock.

2008: Ticker gas tank plastic to conform to CA's gas tank evaporation standards. Basically the tank is alot less porous than in the past. Black clutch, ignition, and starter motor covers and alluminum timing plugs were also added. BNGs.

2009: BNGs.

Way cool WR facts and to the point! I like the 05 for the 48mm forks and analog ODO which is easily converted to speedo.:worthy:

• homer2000

Posted July 15, 2009 - 04:08 PM

Im looking at getting a 07 wr and just reading some of these posts, its saying there is too much power just for the woods, i realise that there would be but would it be 2 much, but i also do alot of open dirt roads with long straights, this would be good for the bike to open up, like the bush isnt really tight and technical, its mainly fire brakes around pine,
Good choice ???

• Ironhorse

Posted July 15, 2009 - 07:40 PM

I Think it would be a great bike for that type of riding. I went back and forth for about two years over the 250 or 450 debate and I am glad I bought the 450. I was afraid it would be too much power for the woods but I actually geared it down a little and have put about 200 miles on it, mostly single track and the more I ride it the better I like it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.