WR400 tick under clutch cover w/o a load??? HELP!

6 replies to this topic
  • TallBoysWRF

Posted December 20, 2008 - 02:01 PM

The last two times out I've noticed a new tick in the engine, and it was louder today than it was the previous time out. I'm not sure what to think of it. The engine is a 2000 with out a lot of hours (it is a replacement for my original '99 engine).

First, when the bike is running in gear a growling sound is faint, but it can be noticed at lower RPM. It sounds kind of like loose gears, except it's dependent on the RPM of the engine and not what gear I'm in. When the engine revs, the exhaust noise completely masks this noise, or it goes away, I can't tell. It also does it when I'm just easily accelerating, holding my speed, or I let off the throttle, If I open the throttle fully, I don't notice the noise as much.

A tick noise is VERY evident though when I go to slow down and I pull the clutch in. If I engine brake, things sound close to normal, but if I pull the clutch in... TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK. And it is more of a tick sound than a growl when I do this.

Don't know if it matters, but I noticed the growling noise more on the left side of the engine the other day when I took the bike out, but I didn't notice it much today. Also, the growl noise was under load, where as the tick noise is not.

Back to the tick...when I got home today I got the stethoscope out and poked around the engine while it was up on a stand running in different gears. The noise is 95% under the center of the clutch cover. When the clutch is fully engaged, it's fairly quite, but as soon as I start to slip the clutch, the noise gets VERY pronounced. The other key piece of info is that as soon as chain stops moving, the noise stops. As with the "growl" this tick is independent of what gear I'm in.

The clutch works fine as far as not slipping when it's not supposed to. I'm sure I'm going to have to start tearing pieces off the engine to find the problem, but I can't think of what I should be looking for. Any ideas? It only ticks when the bike is moving, and there's little or no load on the clutch. If the clutch is engaged, I can be accelerating, decelerating, or holding my speed, and I don't seem to hear it, but when I pull in the clutch and drop the RPM down to idle it ticks away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Xr650rhonda

Posted December 21, 2008 - 12:44 AM

You have been riding it for 2 years like that? this is your post from 6/04/06, It's Winter time, split the cases already and get in there!!

I have had a tick sound that I'm convinced has been getting worse lately. So I have decided to take the motor appart and and see if I can figure out the problem. I got the clutch cover off and the outside case cover off and I noticed that there is some axial (push/pull) play in the shaft that the clutch is on. It's not just the clutch on the shaft, it's the whole shaft. It's not like it's coming out or anything, but I'm wondering if this is normal? :thumbsup: It's got enough play that it worries me if that is not normal. Is this something I need to dig into the cases and check out? Thanks for the help in advance!

• FatBuoy

Posted December 21, 2008 - 07:21 AM

Mine does something similar, and has for the past 1 1/2 years. I've put it through the ringer for days at a time and it's never missed a beat. I first noticed it on a long CO mountain trek and was completely unable to tear into it, so just had to cross my fingers that it held up. My thought is if it hasn't detonated yet, it must not be too big of an issue... Sounds like yours has been OK for a long time with it too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TallBoysWRF

Posted December 21, 2008 - 10:07 AM

I posed that yesterday, 12-20-08, not sure where you got 6/4/06 from. :smirk: It's showing me that it was posted yesterday. Maybe that has something to do with the missing reply that I got an email about, but didn't show up on the thread. :thumbsup:

The bike just started doing this two rides ago (Tuesday night). I've been running the engine since last March when the original grenaded. It was definitely worse yesterday than the ride previous.

It's winter time... and I want to ride the bike...not completely dismantle it if I can avoid it (not to mention I don't have any money to just throw at it) I have an explorer track kit on it so it's my snowmobile.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted December 21, 2008 - 10:10 AM

You have been riding it for 2 years like that? this is your post from 6/04/06, It's Winter time, split the cases already and get in there!!

OK, it helps to read what you actually quoted... :thumbsup:

That post was for the original '99 engine, and the tick turned out to be loose springs that connect the clutch hub to the drive gear. They got a little compressed so they would rattle a little. This is a completely different engine and different noise with different symptoms.

• Xr650rhonda

Posted December 21, 2008 - 10:55 AM

OK, it helps to read what you actually quoted... :thumbsup:

That post was for the original '99 engine, and the tick turned out to be loose springs that connect the clutch hub to the drive gear. They got a little compressed so they would rattle a little. This is a completely different engine and different noise with different symptoms.

Sorry about that, I thought it was the same engine; please forgive me.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted December 21, 2008 - 11:19 AM

Well I had a big sigh of relief. :smirk: I did a little more probing with the stethoscope, and the noise ONLY comes from the clutch cover. OK, that's good, so it's not something in the cases. I pulled the clutch cover off and what do you know!? One of bolts that compresses the clutch springs had come loose and was slowly milling a circle in the clutch cover. It didn't get deep enough to cut a complete circle, just enough to cut grooves in some of the high spots on the inside of the cover.

I may or may not put my other cover on, but I'll retorque all the bolts, change the oil (maybe twice), and I should be good to go. Glad I cut my ride short and brought it home yesterday! The oil that I drained out of the motor was loaded with aluminum powder, now I get to go see what kind of carnage awaits me in the oil filter. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.