01 and 02 triple clamps will fit the WR450.. Photo

10 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 28, 2003 - 07:15 PM

Just to keep you guys up to date, the 01 and 02 top clamp (mine is from Scotts) will fit the new bike. Also the Scotts post slips on the headset, way easier than my 01 beacuse the welds are better on the 450.

• Superbike

Posted January 28, 2003 - 07:34 PM

The bottom clamp is different though. I called Vortex about it. Looking sweet! Get mine tomorrow. What did it wiegh? Was that with fuel?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 29, 2003 - 04:55 AM

Mike, How are the bottom clamps different? Ask them in detail, I'de love to know.... How could my top clamp slip on?

The weight on my bike was 262 no gas, Canadian pipe...

Congrats on the bike, get ready for a lot of questions on the new bike.. :)

• Superbike

Posted January 30, 2003 - 01:24 AM

They just told me that I would need a different bottom clamp. I picked it up yesterday. Wow, I do not know what they did but it feels light. The must have got the wieght down low. Yamaha did thier homework! I am pumped about this bike. ----Mike

• slomo138

Posted January 30, 2003 - 03:21 AM

I tried my old Scotts clamp off of a Yz400.It fit right on.
The only problem was the bar clamp location.The handlebar clamps are not as far forward as on the stock clamp,even when using the forward offset on the clamp risers.I was not sure if the clamps would be strong enough if I drilled a new hole a little farther forward.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 30, 2003 - 03:32 AM

Yamaha did thier homework! I am pumped about this bike. ----Mike

Mike, I'm with you!! Me too!!

Is it just me or the the bars feel pretty low? Even at 5'8 I feel as though I want to go with a higher bar than my Pro-Taper "Doug Henry's"........ Hmmm...

• Superbike

Posted January 30, 2003 - 06:01 AM

The bars felt farther forward that my '00 YZ. I am going to have to go set on it and see how it feels. I just rode it around the dealer parking lot in the snow. It felt pretty good. They yelled at me for riding standup wheelies in thier parking lot :). Pretty good power for all plugged up. That throttle stop barley lets you crack the throttle! I really wonder how I am going to fit all this stuff on protaper bars with bark busters? ----Mike

• wr250rr

Posted January 30, 2003 - 10:36 AM

you guys are already setting up your bikes!!!!!!!!!!
I got to look at these Hawkins hi bend pro tapers, stabilizer, bark busters and tires sitting in my garage every day,

• Paige

Posted January 30, 2003 - 10:47 AM

The difference in the bottom clamp is the stem bore size.

• Superbike

Posted January 30, 2003 - 10:50 AM

Gotta get it set up now. I'm gunna win! Well, at least my class, I hope. Well finish maybe? or well uhhm ....
:) ---Mike

• charlieb

Posted January 30, 2003 - 11:37 AM

Sure it will bolt on but you can not bolt any of the stock brackets to that clamp since the front mounting point is off center on the WR. I noticed in your pic you are useing an aftermarket front light and number plate

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.