I'm a happy man

12 replies to this topic
  • hillclimbguy

Posted December 20, 2008 - 10:12 AM

Just finished my 03 WR450 project. Bought as a basket case. Transmission toast. Lost 3rd and 4th, no clutch assembly, bad starter motor. Did the finishing touches this morning. This is my Christmas present to my self. It came with a plate too.
Going out tomorrow and putting some easy miles on it and getting ready for the Christmas weekend.
The story behind this is that I asked my wife if I could get a street cruiser before I was 50. That mark is coming up real soon. She freaked. But a dual sport wasn't out of the question. So now I have a WR450 with a plate and were both happy. This doesn't happen too often. So a word to the young guys coming up through the ranks, if you can do something to make both you and your wife happy, do it before she changes her mind.
I found that having the WR makes me happy anyways but having her good with it too is a plus. Merry Christmas to all and stay on the trails:thumbsup:

• Charles De Mar

Posted December 20, 2008 - 10:43 AM

Just finished my 03 WR450 project. Bought as a basket case. Transmission toast. Lost 3rd and 4th, no clutch assembly, bad starter motor. Did the finishing touches this morning. This is my Christmas present to my self. It came with a plate too.
Going out tomorrow and putting some easy miles on it and getting ready for the Christmas weekend.
The story behind this is that I asked my wife if I could get a street cruiser before I was 50. That mark is coming up real soon. She freaked. But a dual sport wasn't out of the question. So now I have a WR450 with a plate and were both happy. This doesn't happen too often. So a word to the young guys coming up through the ranks, if you can do something to make both you and your wife happy, do it before she changes her mind.
I found that having the WR makes me happy anyways but having her good with it too is a plus. Merry Christmas to all and stay on the trails:thumbsup:

Pics:ride:

• Xr650rhonda

Posted December 20, 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hmmmm, you still have fours years to 50, maybe there's hope for the cruiser.

• KennyMc

Posted December 20, 2008 - 02:04 PM

Welcome to the club Dave.:thumbsup:

• hillclimbguy

Posted December 20, 2008 - 05:07 PM

I turn 47 on the 27th of this month so I can see the light:busted:

• hillclimbguy

Posted December 20, 2008 - 05:09 PM

I'm not going to push it right now. I'll take what I can get away with!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FatBuoy

Posted December 21, 2008 - 07:24 AM

I'm not going to push it right now. I'll take what I can get away with!

Just do like I do and beg for forgiveness. It ALWAYS works...HA!:thumbsup:

• hillclimbguy

Posted December 21, 2008 - 11:42 PM

I usually treat her like the rangers, don't make eye contact and keep going on my way. This doesn't always work.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 22, 2008 - 12:27 AM

My wife isn't fully ok with any of the dirt and street bikes that I have. But she accepts them as my only true vice and is more scared of me riding on the freeway than crashing constantly in the dirt.

I got a plated wr450 also. Maybe we will see you up in big bear to climb some of those hills.

I will also admit that dual sport riding has reduced my desire to "slab it" on the expensive bmw touring bike in my garage. The scenery when dual sporting is something you simply cannot describe. It can be quite challenging too!

I think you made a wise choice.

• hillclimbguy

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:03 PM

Thanks, I think I made a wise choice too. Peace in the household is important. I always found that when my wife isnt happy, then neither am I.
Well I put some miles on the WR on Sunday. I found that the bike is comfortable and stable. Turns ok, but it aint a YZ. There aint no hit. This is a nice fireroad bike but it aint going to climb any monster hills that I like.
Any ideas what to do for some serous power. Cams, pipe maybe?
Can I get the newer WR rear fender to work on the 03? That rear fender has got to go.
Other than that the bike is good.

• kwar63

Posted December 23, 2008 - 05:51 AM

Do all the free mods. Put a YZ pipe on it and rejet for the YZ pipe. That is how mine is set up and it screams and I will race any YZ.

Kurt

• alleycatdad

Posted December 23, 2008 - 07:41 AM

My wife sees the bikes as a much better diversion than a redhead...

S

• Matt_W

Posted December 23, 2008 - 07:58 AM

My wife sees the bikes as a much better diversion than a redhead...

S

+1 WORD !! Or the other alternatives, i.e. boozing with boys all night, drugs, gambling, etc.

I Love my wife for many reason, but also because she lets me buy all the toys I want knowing a) it makes me happy, :moon: she knows where I am and what I'm doing, and c) she realizes there are far worse alternatives I could be in to.

This past year she let me buy a brand new 08 YZ450F and a brand new 08 GSXR 750. She even told me she wants me to get a cruiser so she can go on rides with me :busted: .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.