Eric Gorr yz 300...info finally!

186 replies to this topic
  • dtkiko

Posted December 27, 2008 - 05:44 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]
yup, i could vouch on the FMF SST. my trailing buddy with an '03 YZ250 uses one, and i like it more than the FMF fatty my other buddy plugged on his '98 WR250.

the SST is a very nice pipe to be fair with, and its qualities shine on the trails or outdoors. i have an FMF gnarly, bought it from the states, and i didn't like it :busted:

of all the aftermarket pipes i really like most is the DEP that i got so cheap from bikedude haha! :moon: :p [/COLOR]

• RCannon

Posted December 27, 2008 - 08:18 AM

haha ok you just elected yourself, Im thinking a pipe comparision thread for yz285's. you should try a couple of the top end pipes, rcannon can probly recommend some, maybe hgs,dep,doma,procircut,fatty, just a few along with some different silencers. oh yeah what kind of riding do you do at what elev. and conditions? also what is your bike setup, porting/compression and jetting. Hopefully some of the other bigbore guys will chime in and lend some advice. can't wait to get started on mine

That would be a riot to go out with a new 300 kit and a fistfull of pipes.

Still, pipe testing is a real PITA. It was one thing just dealing with testing only enough to make me happy. Its totally another issue trying pipes and knowing you have to post the results here! I realized early on that the only way my testing was valid it when I took everything out on the same day. Hell, my own good or bad mood would influence me liking something.

• Pincushion

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:03 AM

I've got an stock 05 pipe with one of Aggiemoto's spacers on my ported-back-to-stock-spec 06' yz285. I assure you the pipe does not hold it back one bit.

I have stock port timing and a stock pipe. It works just fine.

I would like a secondary pipe which emphasizes top end cause my bike is a low/mid monster with the stocker.

• smokin529

Posted December 27, 2008 - 10:19 AM

so you havent tried any other pipe but you know the SST is the best? cool.

I have tried the SST, Gnarly and the stock with the stock silencer and the SST was the best out of the three for the way I ride. Just because it works for me though doen't mean another guy with the same bike will like it. One of my riding buds actually hated the SST, but he's a lugger. The stock pipe worked best for him.

• adam728

Posted December 27, 2008 - 10:48 AM

I've got an stock 05 pipe with one of Aggiemoto's spacers on my ported-back-to-stock-spec 06' yz285. [COLOR="Blue"]I assure you the pipe does not hold it back one bit.[/COLOR]

I have stock port timing and a stock pipe. It works just fine.

[COLOR="Red"]I would like a secondary pipe which emphasizes top end cause my bike is a low/mid monster with the stocker[/COLOR].

That right there just helps reinforce that a big-bore specific pipe would be a good thing. Just because your bike makes gobs of power as is doesn't mean that a pipe made specifically for the larger engine wouldn't benifit it.

Going to a 285 gives you 14% more displacement, which means the potential for 14% more air flow thru the engine. With this increased flow the stinger portion of the pipe becomes a bit of a blocking point, and the head pipe should be lengthened as well. I'm not talking a lot, but an ideal pipe for a 285 or 300 will not be a 250 pipe.

• stimps

Posted December 27, 2008 - 12:10 PM

That would be a riot to go out with a new 300 kit and a fistfull of pipes.

Still, pipe testing is a real PITA. It was one thing just dealing with testing only enough to make me happy. Its totally another issue trying pipes and knowing you have to post the results here! I realized early on that the only way my testing was valid it when I took everything out on the same day. Hell, my own good or bad mood would influence me liking something.

If you book a flight and perhaps bring me a small 300cc present (I'l pay for it of course) I'll supply the bike, pipes and accomodation. I would expect it to be a damn good laugh if nothing else.......:busted:

• no1clyde

Posted December 27, 2008 - 12:30 PM

I can't be of much help to you Yamaha guys but I have a EG KX310 and have tried the stock 99 pipe,a FMF Gnarly, a PC, a stock 02 pipe, and a FMF 02 Fatty. My EG 310 likes the stock 99 pipe the best. Now that said I also have another 310 cylinder that I do not know who built but it likes the Gnarly, and I also have a LASleeve 300 that likes the PC pipe so there you have it. I will watch this thread to see what you guys find and also how the YZ300 works out.

Ed

• Edge316

Posted December 27, 2008 - 01:05 PM

so you havent tried any other pipe but you know the SST is the best? cool.

Bruce372,Id like to know where in my post ,that I stated that the sst is the best?If you would have read it correctly the first time you would have noticed that even though the sst works pretty good on my yz 285, Im still thinking of trying a different pipe to see if I can get alittle more top end.Bruce, you seem to make comments before you even know what your talking about,just like when you stated not to use the sst pipe.Im curious Bruce ,have you ever tried a sst on a yz 285?

• BRM

Posted December 27, 2008 - 02:21 PM

and my experience has backed that up- big bores are prone to detonate more and some pipes are more prone to detonate more so combining both IMO isnt good.
:

Your right Bruce, you really shouldn't have got sucked into this thread IF you keep firing from the hip with comments like that.
I have a Big bore and I run an aftermarket pipe and the bike flat out rips and guess what....... I don't have detonation problems because it is set up properly.

Cheers

• 2strokenut

Posted December 27, 2008 - 02:54 PM

Bruce372,Id like to know where in my post ,that I stated that the sst is the best?If you would have read it correctly the first time you would have noticed that even though the sst works pretty good on my yz 285, Im still thinking of trying a different pipe to see if I can get alittle more top end.Bruce, you seem to make comments before you even know what your talking about,just like when you stated not to use the sst pipe.Im curious Bruce ,have you ever tried a sst on a yz 285?

Your right Bruce, you really shouldn't have got sucked into this thread IF you keep firing from the hip with comments like that.
I have a Big bore and I run an aftermarket pipe and the bike flat out rips and guess what....... I don't have detonation problems because it is set up properly.

Cheers

:busted:

You guys even know who your talking to? Bruce knows what he's talking about.

• RCannon

Posted December 27, 2008 - 04:01 PM

Bruce was involved in inventing Vicodin. Thats ALL I need to know. He will forever occupy a special place in my heart.

• Bruce372

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:07 PM

Bruce was involved in inventing Vicodin. Thats ALL I need to know. He will forever occupy a special place in my heart.

LOL, not quite the truth, my company did- i am trying to find a replacement though, one without the side effects....

anyhow, i can see how my tone could be taken the wrong way and for that i appologise.

ive done enough of these big bores to know what works and what doesnt, but i think now is the time to bow out of this thread gracefully.

happy tuning.

• no1clyde

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:14 PM

I also think Bruce is a friend of Eric Gorrs.

Ed

• Bruce372

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:25 PM

yoiks- i am in trouble now.

• Edge316

Posted December 27, 2008 - 11:13 PM

:busted:

You guys even know who your talking to? Bruce knows what he's talking about.

I know nothing about Bruce, 2 strokenut,and Bruce might know his shit,but all I was trying to get across is dont knock it until you try it.Now the sst pipe might not be the best choice for a big bore yz,but a sst pipe will work.I my self wondered about Wiseco's choice of pipes to run on the yz 285 when I bought the bike from them.Ive know about the issues with running the sst on yz 250s for years,I had a sst on my 2000 yz 250.I also know that with proper jetting that the sst pipe can be an awesome pipe.On my 2000 yz 250 I got some jetting specs from one of the best bike mechanics around,and my 2000 yz ran perfect with zero detonation problems.

• radsdad

Posted December 28, 2008 - 05:57 AM

I have tried alot of the aftermarket pipes on my 275. I really don't see that much difference with them except the PC trades bottom for some top. I prefer the Factory Fatty or the stocker+ a .125" spacer. The biggest changes come from the silencer. I haven't found one yet that gives the overev of the stock one.
I miss the days when my son raced it. The look on peoples faces when he would holeshot a bunch of 450's was priceless.

• endurotuff

Posted December 28, 2008 - 07:35 AM

I've seen a picture of this bike somewhere, hopefully someone has anda can post it. What I'm really worried is this:

"For enduro riding the KTM300 is a great bike, but with a high price tag and impending hgih import tarrifs, that model might disappear quickly"

Can this be true?? Please say it isn't so. Now having 4 european options(Husky,TM,GG and KTM) and an american made 300cc, I hope not!

• HollywoodMX

Posted December 28, 2008 - 12:44 PM

That right there just helps reinforce that a big-bore specific pipe would be a good thing. Just because your bike makes gobs of power as is doesn't mean that a pipe made specifically for the larger engine wouldn't benifit it.

Going to a 285 gives you 14% more displacement, which means the potential for 14% more air flow thru the engine. With this increased flow the stinger portion of the pipe becomes a bit of a blocking point, and the head pipe should be lengthened as well. I'm not talking a lot, but an ideal pipe for a 285 or 300 will not be a 250 pipe.

I'm with Adam. No one here can say that any yz 250 pipe is fine on a 285 or 300 yz without actually performing the testing with a yz pipe that's built for 285-300. I would bet the farm that a 300 specific pipe will out perform any 250 pipe, no contest.

As a 50cc displacement difference example, you wouldn't put a ktm 200 pipe on your ktm 250 would you????? NO. I checked procircuit, they have different part numbers for the KTM 200's and 250's pipes... So anyone here, please don't be ridiculous that you know a 250 pipe is fine without actually knowing through testing, since there are no 300 yz pipes, the testing would be difficult...

• RCannon

Posted December 28, 2008 - 12:47 PM

LOL, not quite the truth, my company did- i am trying to find a replacement though, one without the side effects....

anyhow, i can see how my tone could be taken the wrong way and for that i appologise.

ive done enough of these big bores to know what works and what doesnt, but i think now is the time to bow out of this thread gracefully.

happy tuning.

No, dont do that...we only like it for the side effects.

• Edge316

Posted December 28, 2008 - 04:39 PM

I'm with Adam. No one here can say that any yz 250 pipe is fine on a 285 or 300 yz without actually performing the testing with a yz pipe that's built for 285-300. I would bet the farm that a 300 specific pipe will out perform any 250 pipe, no contest.

As a 50cc displacement difference example, you wouldn't put a ktm 200 pipe on your ktm 250 would you????? NO. I checked procircuit, they have different part numbers for the KTM 200's and 250's pipes... So anyone here, please don't be ridiculous that you know a 250 pipe is fine without actually knowing through testing, since there are no 300 yz pipes, the testing would be difficult...

Without a doubt a pipe built specfically for a 285 or 295 would work better than a pipe built for a 250,but if no such pipe is available we have to use whats available.Im hoping someone will build a specific pipe,but dont hold your breath.I think what some people were trying to get across is that a 250 pipe will work.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

What should I get for my next bike? by JHodel20

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

125cc 2stroke for new bike? by nickboc333

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

87 yz 250 by ccauvel

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ125 Governer Running Position by satiagraha

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Yz250 crank shaft flywheel stripped problem! by jacob_buttery

• 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.