Build a trial bike/set up?

26 replies to this topic
  • Dethklok

Posted December 19, 2008 - 11:32 PM

Hey hows it going everyone I apologize for being a noob and I know nothing really about trials besides A) It looks nuckin futs :thumbsup: takes a lot of practice and skill and C) Looks like an ton of fun.

I also notices how different the bikes are than other kinds of dirt bikes. I havent had a whole lot of luck finding any trial bikes around where I live, so would it be possible to take a regular dirt bike and convert it into a trials bike?

From what I can see tires and a 18" instead of 19" rear wheel, and theyre stripped down to bare essentials to save weight. Any other key design points?

I also noticed most of them have traditional forks instead of inverted, any reasoning for this?

And (i feel like the guy whos asking what the dipstick is) wheres the radiators? lol

Engine differences between a MX dirt bike and a trials bike?

2-smoker vs. 4-thumper for trials?

• polarity3232

Posted December 20, 2008 - 04:52 AM

Hey there , and good luck building a trials bike ! There are many more differences than just the r wheel and the no seat thing. The frame geometry is totally different ( to allow for tighter turning) the suspension is very "bouncy/springy" compared to mx/enduro bikes . This is what makes hopping and such possible. The brakes on a trials bike work amazingly well. I would say if you're interested in trials, find your local club. Go to an event and talk to folks(and somebody will say "here try my bike")Try that at the local mx track LOL !! Also there are almost always trials bikes for sale there. I dont know where you live, BUT trials bikes are really not readily available anywhere here in the U.S., They ARE around it just takes a little more work to find one ! I suppose if you really wanted to build/convert you could but it seems like a whole lot of work , to get a questionable at best "trials" bike !! :thumbsup:

• redrider7202

Posted December 20, 2008 - 06:37 AM

there's been a bunch for sale in ny. i don't know where you are but i've been looking around to upgrade my XR lately and if your anywhere near the capital district wantaddigest.com has a 06 beta in it... it's near the 4k mark but it's a bike.

• laser17

Posted December 20, 2008 - 08:09 AM

Give Mike at the Tryalshop a call - he's not too far from you. http://www.tryalssho...ge-contact.aspx

• Dethklok

Posted December 20, 2008 - 12:25 PM

Thanx for the help guys! Im right outside Rochester,NY. So far all I found is a 06' Sherco 2.9...but money is kinda tight right now, thats one of the reasons I asked if I could build one out of an existing cheaper MX bike.

I assumed the suspension would have to be completely different. and I take it its a steeper steering head?

Would I be able to pick up an MX engine and build a ground up trials? and Speaking up ground ups...I noticed everyones using steel for the frame?

• 1992yz125

Posted December 20, 2008 - 02:26 PM

It's not only steel- Beta and Montesa both have aluminum.

I honestly don't think that you could get the feel of trials with anything other than a trials bike.

The motors are completely different, and I doubt a motocross clutch would be able to hold up to trials. In a section, you are slipping the clutch literally 3/4 of the time.

Big bikes are completely overbuilt for trials, making them much too heavy.

A trials bike can turn about 6ft circles, a MX bike obviously doesn't come close.

There is way too much suspension/seat height on a regular bike, and it is almost impossable to hop a big bike (I've tried :thumbsup: ).

There really are no components that a motocross bike and trials bike share. You could convert all you want, but you will up having to remake or heavily modify virtually every component. You could probably do it, but it would eb so expensive and time consuming that you would pbably be far better off just buying and old trials bike. You could go as you as you want, and it would still be far better than a converted motocross bike.

• 1992yz125

Posted December 20, 2008 - 02:33 PM

Hey hows it going everyone I apologize for being a noob and I know nothing really about trials besides A) It looks nuckin futs :thumbsup: takes a lot of practice and skill and C) Looks like an ton of fun.

I also notices how different the bikes are than other kinds of dirt bikes. I havent had a whole lot of luck finding any trial bikes around where I live, so would it be possible to take a regular dirt bike and convert it into a trials bike?

From what I can see tires and a 18" instead of 19" rear wheel, and theyre stripped down to bare essentials to save weight. Any other key design points?
[COLOR="Red"]They're really not stripped down. Like I said before, it's just that every single component has been lightened and modified to the max.[/COLOR]
I also noticed most of them have traditional forks instead of inverted, any reasoning for this?

And (i feel like the guy whos asking what the dipstick is) wheres the radiators? lol
[COLOR="Red"]In between the two down tubes (Is that the right word?) It also has a fan to force air through. Trials bikes move so slowly, that this is neccesary.[/COLOR]
Engine differences between a MX dirt bike and a trials bike?
[COLOR="red"]much torque-ier, Almost impossible to stall compared to mx bikes, relatively little top end power [/COLOR]
2-smoker vs. 4-thumper for trials?

[COLOR="red"]This is still up in the air. If you're after cheap and light, you probably want 2 stroke

something usefull that I heard someone say a while ago: Light, strong, cheap- pick any two[/COLOR]

• Frutta729

Posted December 20, 2008 - 02:40 PM

How much money could you possibly save ??

If your serious, check out the Scorpa engines. Supposedly, they are based on 20 year old yz motors. Atleast you'll be able to see what mods need to be done to which ever mx motor you choose.

you'd almost have to squeeze a big motor into a 80 or 100 frame?

tryals shop has an old fantic for $1200, even if you rode it for a few months, you'd still get your money back when reselling it.

yz, I know which two you picked! :thumbsup:

• 1992yz125

Posted December 20, 2008 - 04:36 PM

Coming from the man who's bike isn't running! :thumbsup:

• Estevahn

Posted December 20, 2008 - 06:46 PM

Some years ago, I remember a fellow that had put a huge rear sprocket, and I mean really huge, on an MX style bike.
He could do things on that bike that I don't even think of doing with my trials bike. I can't remember if he had trials tyres on it. I do remember that his front wheel was never on the ground. It wasn't the same as a modern trials bike but it sure looked like fun. OH,, now I remember,, it was an ATK dirt bike. Maybe someone here can remember thy guy. And better yet,, maybe find a vid of his stunts.

• Dethklok

Posted December 21, 2008 - 12:25 AM

Aaahhh alright I see Ive been looking at it all wrong...I tried to figure out how someone would modify a MX bike for Trials...when in reality I should just have looked at Trials bikes are simply just purpose built from the get go.

I did notice the radiators finally lol (yea I can be a window licker sometimes) the frames seem very simple but then again less is more.

I couldnt help but wonder...has anyone taken the opposite aproach to this? ie: ride/mod their trials bike for other things (supermoto, ice, freestyle, etc) I gotta believe one of u nuts out there has backflipped one of these for shits and giggles.

• geomoney

Posted December 21, 2008 - 05:57 AM

If you're looking to make one bike that can be ridden for every type of motorcycle forum (trials, mx, freestyle, ice, supermoto) it can be done with perseverance and ingenuity....

It just won't perform properly in any of them.

BTW, at this point, pretty much everything (excluding a dishwasher, and I may be wrong at that) has been backflipped......

• redrider7202

Posted December 21, 2008 - 07:35 AM

I've seen a trials bike do free style... sorta... it was kinda funny to watch. However, look at 2-ply, the guy goes out with a bunch of guys on his trials bike when they have enduro bikes and just carrys some more fuel with him (the real issue with a trials bike for anything other then a trial) and keeps up. When it gets TIGHT (like sub first on a normal bike... 2nd or 3rd on these bikes) (to give u an idea of gearing... 4th is something like 1st on my XR... then 5th and 6th will get u up to 60ish) or technical (the stuff you look at on a normal bike and go "you gotta be kidding me") he just laughs and sometimes has to go back and help the other guys.

Really, the only thing i don't think a trials bike will do is MX... well, not well anyway. They had to ban them endurocross because they're too good at that kind of stuff.

Anyway, if your into MX... get a MX bike. if you like to trail ride, especially the knarly stuff, and doing trials, get a trials bike and some extra fuel tanks. I'm thinking about getting rid of my trail bike and just using my beta for everything. Only thing it won't do is snow, but then again, no bike does well in that stuff.

Here, try http://www.craigshelper.com/. punch in trials. there's a gasgas 200 for sale, but i forget which direction it would be from me... so it might be a LONG way from you. Anyway, good luck.

• laser17

Posted December 21, 2008 - 11:55 AM

Aaahhh alright I see Ive been looking at it all wrong...I tried to figure out how someone would modify a MX bike for Trials...when in reality I should just have looked at Trials bikes are simply just purpose built from the get go.

I did notice the radiators finally lol (yea I can be a window licker sometimes) the frames seem very simple but then again less is more.

I couldnt help but wonder...has anyone taken the opposite aproach to this? ie: ride/mod their trials bike for other things (supermoto, ice, freestyle, etc) I gotta believe one of u nuts out there has backflipped one of these for shits and giggles.

Here you go - These guys are pretty crazy. Backflips and other wild stuff like bridge riding.

• Dethklok

Posted December 21, 2008 - 04:58 PM

Well that vid pretty much sums up the stuff Im interested in :smirk:

Another thing is, because of where I am, locally I will probally have more luck finding urban obsticles than any natural woods kinda stuff. Probally get into some flat land stuff as well since I know a couple local stunters and Im sure they wouldnt mind a trials bike at the spot having some fun.

I wondered about the ice racing just because there are a bunch of guys that do it locally here. And I was wondering about the FMX since theres a few guys that are into it here as well.

Thanx for the heads up Laser and RedRider, I will def be e-mailing your friend Laser, Ive heard the 321's are bullet proof and great 1st trials bike :thumbsup:

• 1992yz125

Posted December 21, 2008 - 05:31 PM

Good luck with the urban. Let us know how that works out.... :thumbsup:

I know it's a big place, but from what I can tell, NY is a pretty good place to have a trials bike.

• Dethklok

Posted December 21, 2008 - 07:27 PM

I actually know one spot in the heart of the city (Rochester) that would be amazing for trials...but being in the heart of the city I doubt the local PD would like me there...

I know there has to be some amazing places, especial on the southern tier...but for day to day riding locally Im probally gonna have to stick with man made stuff.

BTW anyone plate their bike for the road? might be easier to find an area unload and ride around the town Im in?

• redrider7202

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:21 AM

I'm sure there is some natural stuff around. it really doesn't take alot. I'd say your right in district 4 country, but all those events are down near binghamton.

• Dethklok

Posted December 23, 2008 - 12:28 AM

Binghamton is probally a good 2 if not 3 hours away I believe...great for an occasional weekend trip but not so much for the average day.

• redrider7202

Posted December 23, 2008 - 05:42 AM

Yea, it's about the same from me... i'm near albany. Anyway, i spend alot of my time just in my back yard playing around. neighbors haven't complained yet!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.