Galfer Break Pads, Seem to thick?

6 replies to this topic
  • Nitrox

Posted December 19, 2008 - 07:46 PM

I just picked up a new set of rear Galfer break pads and they seem to be to thick.

I have an 07 450. Catalog calls out P/N FD-286. The outer(closest to the spokes) pad pushes the rotor into the caliper brackets.

Anyone seen this problem before?

• grayracer513

Posted December 20, 2008 - 07:53 AM

Caliper is supposed to "float" on its pins, so that it centers itself. It should move in and out fairly freely other than for the resistance offered by the seals. Yours may be bound up or rusted, or just needs a push. Also, be sure the caliper is closed up all the way when you check the fit.

If you think about it, if the pads are thicker than stock, wouldn't the inner one be thicker too? Another thing to look for is that if your old pads were very thin, and you added brake fluid at some point, you may have to let some out at the reservoir to allow the piston to move back all the way.

• Nitrox

Posted December 20, 2008 - 11:09 AM

I took another shot at it. Cleaned and lubed everything and the fit is still real tight. They drag a bit but sure they will loosen up after a few good stops and things seat in.

I've just never had pads fit so tight but I've used EBC's most of the time and they just may be a tad thinner.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nitrox

Posted December 20, 2008 - 04:41 PM

Still to tight. I took a small amount off the back of the pad with sand paper and they are working fine now now. I did stop off at Cycle Gear where I bought them and they did say that Galfers are thicker than the EBC. I don't think I took much of the coating off the back but it did the trick. I'm sure it won't take long for them to wear in too.

• Ga450owner

Posted December 22, 2008 - 06:35 AM

unfortunately a lot of aftermkt rear pads are too thick. You will have to remove the heat covers until the pads wear down some then reinstall the heat covers. Stupid isn't it....been there done that with Braking rear pads as well

• Nitrox

Posted December 22, 2008 - 04:56 PM

What's the deal with the coating on the back? I've heard that without the coating you need to run the heat covers, but with the coating you do not. I am not now but I wonder if I was to take all the coating off the back of the Galfers it would be better heat dissipation and reduced heat to the caliper?

I've never had a problem but don't want any either.

Any thoughts?

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2008 - 07:58 PM

The coating and the shims are more probably used to prevent noise (squeaking). That's the function of such stuff in cars, at least. As far as heat goes, coating or shimming the pads will prevent heat from moving to the caliper, which would be preferable to having it heat the caliper itself.

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.