DR 650 Oil temperature control

9 replies to this topic
  • danospazmatico

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:25 PM

Tried the search. Keep getting some sort of connection error. So...

I have a KLR 650 which is running cold in the winter. I can tell, because it has a rudimentary temp gage. The fix for the KLR is installing a thermostat controlled radiator bypass - which I intend to do.

Now this has me wondering about my new DR650. If the KLR is running cold, it stands to reason that the DR, who's oil is always running through the cooler, is running cold as well. So two questions...

1: Where can I get some sort of oil temp gage for the DR 650?

2: If the DR is running cold, what do you guys do about it besides running lighter weight oil?

My brother suggested covering the oil cooler with aluminum sheet or something to cut air flow. Of course I'd need a temp gage if I was to go that route.

Thanks. DanO

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pookiebear

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

find a dipstick temp guage. Adjust air flow over the radiator to compensate. There is a reason big rig trucks do the same thing.

• adams

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:03 PM

what temperatures are you running in? I think you would be better off leaving it alone. I can see how you can better control the temp of the KLR cause its water cooled and the radiator is its main source of cooling. However, I doubt you'd have any decent control of the temp on an air/oil cooled motor such as the DR650.

• LukasM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

The fill hole temp gauges break when you lay your bike on the side. So I wouldn't recommend it if you ride off road.

Posted Image

I would get a Trailtech Vapor with the sensor that mount in the front engine case hole. M14x1.25 I think.

• danospazmatico

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

what temperatures are you running in? I think you would be better off leaving it alone. I can see how you can better control the temp of the KLR cause its water cooled and the radiator is its main source of cooling. However, I doubt you'd have any decent control of the temp on an air/oil cooled motor such as the DR650.

Well I don't know what temperatures I'm running - hence, the question about sourcing a decent oil temperature gage.

And just as the cooler can make a BIG positive difference on a hot day, by supplementing the engine's air cooling fins, I assume it can make a big negative difference on a cold day. I've seen high performance harley sportster builds which feature oil coolers with a manual bypass switch to use according to what the oil temperature gage reads.

I think the same set up on a DR would help keep the engine from running too cold in the winter.

DanO

• moto_psycho

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

all vehicles with water cooling generally should have thermostats anyway, to keep the engine at an optimal 88-90 degrees centigrade

i cant really see the oil cooling that much below that anyway! but i would like to see what temperatures people come up with

• adams

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:22 AM

Well I don't know what temperatures I'm running - hence, the question about sourcing a decent oil temperature gage.

And just as the cooler can make a BIG positive difference on a hot day, by supplementing the engine's air cooling fins, I assume it can make a big negative difference on a cold day. I've seen high performance harley sportster builds which feature oil coolers with a manual bypass switch to use according to what the oil temperature gage reads.

I think the same set up on a DR would help keep the engine from running too cold in the winter.

DanO

I was wondering about the outdoor ambient temps.

• DR Da-da

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:03 AM

I would get a Trailtech Vapor with the sensor that mount in the front engine case hole. M14x1.25 I think.

+1 on the TrailTech Vapor. I mounted mine using the "Water Temperature Sensor 1/8-28th BSPP Extra Long" (part #V300-003 located here) and the "Oil Temperature Sensor Adapter M14x1.25" (part #VA-14125 located here) in the oil scavenge port instead of using the included cylinder head temperature sensor that mounts in place of a spark plug crush washer. It's very accurate/responsive. On cold days I simply let the bike idle for a few minutes until the oil temperature warms up a bit. I'm very happy with the setup.

DR Da-da

• Older and Slower

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

+2 on the TrailTech Vapor with oil temp sending unit. On a 20 degree day, i was still getting the oil temp readout to 152 deg F.

Also, big rig trucks are usually equipped with diesel engines .... which is a compression ignition engine.

• trander

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:25 PM

My DR650 runs between 180 and 230 degrees depending on air temperature. My sensor is in the oil pressure hole in the lower front of the engine. I don't ride trails with it so I don't know what temps you could expect there.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.