changeing a plug

10 replies to this topic
  • cubby

Posted December 19, 2008 - 06:46 AM

I have a 03 wr450f, and my ? is what is the easiest way to change the spark plug?

• jhmotard

Posted December 19, 2008 - 07:00 AM

3/8" ratchet
6" extension
3" extension
10mm socket
5/8" spark plug socket
needle nose pliers

turn the gas off
10mm socket to remove the seat and rad. guards from radiator
remove rubber hold-down strap from gas tank
disconnect fuel line
remove gas tank with rad. guards, set aside
disconnect coil plug
remove coil from spark plug
drop 5/8" spark plug socket onto plug
drop 3" extension onto socket
connect ratchet and loosen spark plug all the way
remove ratchet then extension then use needlenose pliers to remove socket and plug
confirm plug gap specifications
drop in new spark plug then socket then 3" extension
HANDTIGHTEN spark plug until tight then finish off with ratchet
connect coil to plug then wire harness
install gas tank and radiatior shrouds then seat
fire that bitch up!

• cubby

Posted December 19, 2008 - 08:36 AM

Out in the feild with out the pliers I had to flip it upside down to get the plug out. I just thought I was missing something

• jhmotard

Posted December 19, 2008 - 08:54 AM

eh? check your airbox for oil now haha

• MaxPower

Posted December 19, 2008 - 10:45 AM

eh? check your airbox for oil now haha

[COLOR="Green"]an 03 crank case vent runs down the front of the frame not into the airbox like your bike
Thats why the older 450s would suck water in deep crossings[/COLOR]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jhmotard

Posted December 19, 2008 - 11:02 AM

thank you for the info...didnt know that

Posted December 19, 2008 - 11:06 AM

Factory spark plug tool!:thumbsup:

With it, there are no pliers, ratchet, turning the bike up-side down etc... just a 14mm wrench, all of which can be carried in your tool pack. (+ the T-handle trail tool with 8 & 10 mm to remove seat and tank)

• brad the best

Posted December 19, 2008 - 10:11 PM

i always put a thin coat of copper never seize on the threads of the spark plug since unlike metals like to fuze together and be a pain in the ass to remove plus the plug area tends to fill with water which also reminds me that you should put grease between the boot and were it seals on the valve cover to keep some water out and make sure the drain on the side of the block is clear .

dude spark plug socket , there cheap and make your life way easyer . i hate to be a snap-on pusher but its the only spark plug socket i will use , i have never had a plug break with one there just a bit longer and work so much better .

• byggd

Posted December 20, 2008 - 07:23 AM

I found using needle nose pliers to pull the plug frustrating so now I carry a telescoping magnet in my tool kit.

• brad the best

Posted December 20, 2008 - 01:30 PM

i found my plug socket pulls it out terrific with a universal and a extension on top .

• tcmII

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:34 PM

Factory tool & 14mm :busted:

Otherwise, 5/8 plug socket, 3/8 universal, 3" 3/8 extension.

Plug come right out with either set up.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.