08 yz450 question on JD needles?

6 replies to this topic
  • big fun

Posted December 19, 2008 - 03:05 AM

I am learning that the newer yz450f carbs have had alot of upgrades to them ex: stronger AP spring and dont need all the mods since I am not having any problems with it now. My next question is needles. My JD Jet kit came with 2 needles. When I rejet the bike for my new FMF 4.1 exhaust should I use the red or blue needle? I live in ohio where altitude is around 700 to 800 above sea level or should I stick with the stock needle when rejetting the bike? Does my carb already have abetter needle in it? Thanks for any input!!! :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 19, 2008 - 06:34 AM

The kit also came with instructions that will specify which needle you should use, based on altitude.

• big fun

Posted December 19, 2008 - 10:16 AM

Is the needles that come with the kit better to use than the factory one? I read the directions and I understand using the right one for the altitude ,But are they better to use than the factory needle? Thanks for info Grayracer....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 19, 2008 - 12:19 PM

Opinions vary. Many say they are an improvement.

• big fun

Posted December 19, 2008 - 01:21 PM

Thanks again Grayracer!!!!! :thumbsup:

• eddie06450

Posted December 19, 2008 - 06:31 PM

I live in Alabama at a low altitude as well and i used the blue needle and mine runs real good, dont know how it would run with new jets and stock needle did not try that. My bike is a 08 too. GOOD LUCK

• tbrady

Posted December 21, 2008 - 11:57 AM

let's hope for next yr, Yamaha finally gives us EFI bike. I'm looking forward to doing away with jetting. I rode my first EFI bike and it was pretty sweet.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.