Red rider turning blue?

4 replies to this topic
  • Manks

Posted July 10, 2002 - 11:11 PM

Hi guys

I currently ride an XR250 and an XR400. However, I am a little frustrated by Honda's failure to bring out an equivalent product to the new WR450, therefore I am considering swapping my 400 for a Yam WR 450 if I can get one.

My only concern is that my XRs will run and run. Provided I put oil and fuel in, lube the chain, I am sorted. A friend of mine has a WR400 and he's on his second engine already. He would also tell you that he has to spend quite a bit of time on maintenance.

Honest opinion here guys. If I buy a WR, will my I find myself doing a lot more major engine work, or is my mate just unlucky? I apreciate that the WRs are a different beast to the XR, but I need to undestand the implications of ownership.

Thanks in advance for you advice.

• MN_Kevin

Posted July 11, 2002 - 12:07 AM

As for repair itself, these things are quite reliable.

One thing that has been a burden however, is getting the jetting sorted out. When Yamaha decided to modify and detune the (99) YZF into the (99) WRF, they created a headache.

Once our jetting has been sorted out, thanks to Clark Mason, James Dean and Taffy, these bikes ARE maintenance free.

If you look at other 4 strokes (KTM, Suzuki, etc) there are tremendous gains from toying with the jetting, and much to learn as well.

Good luck on finding a 2003WR. It sounds as though Yamaha is having a short assembly run of them. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dale426_from_oz

Posted July 11, 2002 - 08:37 PM

dont do it

• tp3dxf

Posted July 11, 2002 - 09:35 PM

Dude go for it. My 01 WR426 had been nothing but a pleasure. If they were maintenance nightmares believe me the world would know by now. Yamaha has shaken the 2 stroke world with these bikes. Granted the old yz/wr 400 series are not perfect neither is the 426 series. But they are close. the WR450 should be killer. They get better every year.

• Manks

Posted July 11, 2002 - 10:03 PM

Dale

Why not. C'mon need more detail...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.