yz 450 title ?

15 replies to this topic
  • outcast623

Posted December 18, 2008 - 05:59 AM

Hello,

I currently own a street legal yamaha 450 it was converted to street legal from off road in Indiana, now I live in Iowa and I went to get the title transferred and they are telling me I can't because they dont acknowledge other states street legal titles for off road vehicles.... bs!!

so my question is have any of you ever gotten your 450 or other mx bikes titled as a custom motorcycle?

I mean with motard wheels on it along with all headlights, taillight, mirror, horn, speedo it doesnt really look like a mx bike so if I told them it was a cut up rewelded frame and its all custom stuff do you think they would buy it and give me a mvin? or do you think they would realize what it is and be like nope its still considered a dirt bike? I dont have any stickers on it so its not like they can look at it and know its a Yamaha 450???

your thoughts please

• thatkid46

Posted December 18, 2008 - 06:33 AM

i know in WI its next to impossible, we have people coming in all the time asking about it and i know its pretty hard in WI and IL. i really dont know about iowa.

• usmcpaul

Posted December 18, 2008 - 01:10 PM

Without getting into a legal debate (because I know this not "legal"); If I were you, and there was no other way to get it registered, here's an idea.

Buy a scrap Yamaha road bike from a junk yard (who cares what model) and then title it and put the plates on your bike.

If you really wanted to get fancy, grind off the vin number and stamp the scrap bikes number in its place.

I have never been pulled over and had the cop check my vin #, they usually just check for insurance, registration and valid license...... and then give me a ticket.

Not that it can't happen, but really; what are the odds.........

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2008 - 02:27 PM

Not that it can't happen, but really; what are the odds.........

1 to 5 in a State prison

• Jeremiah

Posted December 18, 2008 - 02:38 PM

I wouldn't want any chance of any time in any prison. Perhaps you're not familiar with what happens in those places! :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2008 - 02:43 PM

Being in the "club" is really so bad, but the secret handshake is a little rough at first. :thumbsup:

• usmcpaul

Posted December 18, 2008 - 03:24 PM

Being in the "club" is really so bad, but the secret handshake is a little rough at first. :smirk:

Granted:lol::smirk: ...however, is that realistic?

Anyhow, my point is; What is considered 'custom'. In Michigan you can rip down your house, except for 1 wall and rebuild it, with only a remodeling permit vs. multiple building permits for tearing the whole building down. So why can't he do essentially the same thing using bike parts(i.e. bolts, nuts, clutch plates.......)?

I know I am talking about technicalities, but who is really going to check!

I am sure that some 'know it all' will chime in about his friends, brothers, first cousin, once removed, from a former marriage, that 'JUST' got 1-5 for doing the exact same thing...but that is a B.S. story.

The guy is not asking for advice on how too knock off a 'Liquor store', he just wants to get his bike registered.

BTW, if you want you want to knock off a Liquor store; my friends, brothers, first cousin, once removed, from a former marriage knows a guy that...................:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2008 - 04:35 PM

BS story? Hardly. One of the shops I worked in got a visit weekly from RATT (regional auto theft task force). They checked every bike in the shop. Made 14 arrests in the 3 years I worked there.

San Diego PD runs the plates on every vehicle they stop, and on every motorcycle they see on the road if they have time. They specifically check for brand or model mismatches.

The custom vehicle angle has a chance of working, especially if you point out it was built particularly for road use, but the bike would likely need an inspection.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ogener

Posted December 18, 2008 - 08:01 PM

Its hard as heck to get a dirtbike street legal in Iowa, I've look into it for other stuff and Iowa is just plain stubborn. I would be a custom bike and inspection is about the only way your gonna get it. Unless u can find a yamaha enduro/dual purpose bike in a scrap yard and steal the vin but then u run into possible prison time.

• usmcpaul

Posted December 19, 2008 - 06:16 PM

BS story? Hardly. One of the shops I worked in got a visit weekly from RATT (regional auto theft task force). They checked every bike in the shop. Made 14 arrests in the 3 years I worked there.

San Diego PD runs the plates on every vehicle they stop, and on every motorcycle they see on the road if they have time. They specifically check for brand or model mismatches.

The custom vehicle angle has a chance of working, especially if you point out it was built particularly for road use, but the bike would likely need an inspection.

Gray, I do not doubt that the police routinely check for stolen motorcycles, parts, etc....., however I am not advocating stealing a bike, nor do I advocate buying stolen parts. I am however trying to give "ideas" on how to skirt the law. And I never suggested it.

Please do not portray my ideas as a way to try to buy stolen parts, bikes..... that would only help exacerbate the problem of theft and I do not promote that at all!!!!!!! I abhor theft, and will not participate in it at all, ever!!!!!!

If I conveyed my message improperly, I apologize, and I say again that I do not support theft of any type.

If however, there is a way to get around the problem of registering a bike, I am all for it.

Regards, Paul

• BigVthumper

Posted December 20, 2008 - 06:10 PM

Without getting into a legal debate (because I know this not "legal"); If I were you, and there was no other way to get it registered, here's an idea.

Buy a scrap Yamaha road bike from a junk yard (who cares what model) and then title it and put the plates on your bike.

If you really wanted to get fancy, grind off the vin number and stamp the scrap bikes number in its place.

I have never been pulled over and had the cop check my vin #, they usually just check for insurance, registration and valid license...... and then give me a ticket.

I have the same issue w/ my 06 wr450. The dip-S%!T I got my bike from has no title or MSO. Dealer says no way of getting another MSO. I was thinking of getting another frame w/ a street legal title and slapping the vin numbers on it. so other than cutting of the neck of the titled bike to weld on my bike, how does one "stamp" a vin in the neck?
I am so pissed I am almost ready to sell for a bike w/ a title but I have so much into this one :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 20, 2008 - 06:31 PM

Arizona should have a process in place for that. California does. Stamping your own VIN is also illegal.

• BigVthumper

Posted December 20, 2008 - 07:07 PM

Arizona should have a process in place for that. California does. Stamping your own VIN is also illegal.

Illegal!?
Why is that? It's a dam dirt bike.. not a corvette. What process are you talking about. I sure would like to put my bike on the road. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted December 20, 2008 - 11:18 PM

Contact your DMV office and ask. California requires all motor vehicles, including motorcycles, to have a certificate of ownership (title), and to either be registered (whether as a highway vehicle or as an ORV) for the current year, or to have a certificate filed stating that you intend not to operate the vehicle either on any public road (if a highway vehicle), or on any public property if an ORV.

The VIN number of any motorcycle, including a damn dirt bike, can only be issued by one of two parties, either the manufacturer, who must issue a unique number that conforms to a specific format, or the motor vehicle regulatory agency of the state where the vehicle resides. Any alteration of an existing number, or issue of one to an unnumbered vehicle by anyone else is a misdemeanor, and can be a felony.

In the case that the title is lost or whatever, California has a process by which it can be replaced. A duplicate is issued, and the owner of record signs a release of ownership. After that the new title is issued in the current owner's name.

Laws vary from state to state, but follow several fairly uniform conventions. To get done what you want done, you need to contact the DMV in your state, explain your situation, and follow their procedures. If you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about. If you start fooling around trying to bypass the process, you could end up ruining the entire rest of your life over it.

Besides, I didn't write the laws, I'm just telling you that they exist, and that breaking them is not taken lightly by the state.

• usmcpaul

Posted December 21, 2008 - 05:08 PM

Here in MI, there are several ways to get a title; some are more labor intensive than others.

I can tell you for certain that the salvage yards around here, regularly take 2 vehicles (one smashed in the front and the other in the rear), cut them in half and then weld it back together. They are sold as salvage vehicles, with salvage titles, that are orange in color instead of the standard green, and it is totally 100% legal. They are even advertised in the paper.

I do not see why you could not do something similar with a bike.

I owned a transmission shop and I can tell you from experience, and many visits from the cops, that every major part (i.e. transmissions, engines…..) can be traced back to the original car. So technically there a lot of people in violation of the VIN law.

People here also buy trailers without titles, and then go to the DMV and tell them that they just built it and need a title. You have to then get it weighed at a certified weigh station and…. Waalah, they send you a title.

I just did it, and I have been pulled over twice, since. No problems, just the standard “License, registration, and insurance please Sir”….. Slow down,…heres your ticket…. have a nice day”

Could they possibly check my trailer and find out that it was made 10 years ago, by someone else…I suppose they could, but really….

As a side note, we are not required to carry a registration for our off-road vehicles, so unless the VIN was reported stolen (and that is what they are looking for), they have no way of knowing the details of the origins of the bike (unless you write the VIN in crayon …LOL). It is either stolen or not stolen.

They just call in the numbers and find out if it is reported stolen or not.

• mazzuca21366

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:04 AM

If you get into an accident and they discover the mismatch your insurance will not pay. Guys do this all the time with harleys. Buy a title and build a chopper from lets say a 1964 harley. Good idea but if anything happens your screwed!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.