Gas Tank

4 replies to this topic
  • 01Yamaha426

Posted December 17, 2008 - 09:20 AM

I wanna paint my tank and maybe even smooth the scratches out but i wouldn't know how to start. I want it yellow cause i dont wanna shell out the $200 for a new clarke tank so it'll match the hurricane graphics. I just need to know what kinda paint to use and stuff if yall could help? Thanks.

• buzzfin

Posted December 17, 2008 - 10:06 AM

Don't bother with paint. It doesn't last and the fumes from the gas inside the tank will bubble it right off. Some people have used Rit dye on their tanks. Here's a link to the complete "how to" process:

Good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 17, 2008 - 10:12 AM

Dyeing a tank black from blue is one thing. Dyeing from blue to yellow is not likely to yield results you will enjoy.

• buzzfin

Posted December 17, 2008 - 10:33 AM

I agree... I would try black. Dying it black would look great with the hurricane kit.

• 01Yamaha426

Posted December 17, 2008 - 03:51 PM

dang thank you a ton for posting that link. i DID NOT wanna shell out 200 dollars for a new tank OR paint it but had to do one or the other until this. I'm definatly gonna be doing it and i'll give him props it looks great. Personally i think the black tank will look just as good as yellow with a bit more uniqueness

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.