Power difference between 426 and 250?

4 replies to this topic
  • soco3594

Posted December 16, 2008 - 08:48 PM

Im looking at selling my WR426 and getting either a WR250f or a CRF250x. just wondering whether I will be wanting for power after riding a 426 for 12 months, or do the newer 250s (probably 04 or 05) put out descent power?

My reason for trading is I want something more suited to tight trails and also something with rego (will cost a fair bit to get the 426 roadworthy, rego, insurance etc.)

Just wondering if anyone has ridden both and has any thoughts.

cheers

• doctorchopper

Posted December 17, 2008 - 01:21 AM

I've ridden both and i'd say you would be dissapointed with the power output, especially with the crfx, the wr's not too bad but i found that i was running the shite out of it all the time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wabbit16

Posted December 17, 2008 - 01:35 AM

Agreed with what dr chopper said. The 250's are usually more high strung and live higher up in the rev range than the big thumpers. IDK about valve life and frequency of rebuilds but I gather they need more frequent attention than the 450's. The WR's have awesome valve shim intervals and can be DS'd quite easily from what I understand.

• kjr247

Posted December 17, 2008 - 04:21 AM

IMO for tight trails...XR is the way to go. That is what they do.

• soco3594

Posted December 17, 2008 - 12:28 PM

Just went riding with a mate on his CR250X and his old man's XR250. I was surprised the CRF actually felt really good, obviously not as much power as the 426 but it was much smoother and still hit pretty hard.

Sorry mate but the XR felt like a tractor in comparison. No guts and not as precise as the CRF

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.