Checking for spark

13 replies to this topic
  • swatdoc

Posted December 16, 2008 - 05:32 PM

Hey guys - I haven't checked for spark on a bike since my last 2 stroke, which was a 1978 CR250. None of my 4 strokes ever developed a problem where i had to check.
Went to ride my 07 YZ450F yesterday, and kicked it about a hundred times and not even a hint of it wanting to start.
I pulled the plug and it looked OK, and then i put the plug back in the cap (coil) and touched the threaded portion to a head bolt and manually turned the motor over with the kickstart lever. Could not see any spark at all.

So my question is - is this still the correct way to check for spark? Nothing has changed with these new-fangled ignitions has it? still check for spark like this?

I took my coil to the dealer this morning and it tested OK. Tried a new plug, but no spark with that either. The 2 other components left to check are my Graves CDI, and the Electrosport stator.

I have a sneaking suspicion the electrosport stator might be the culprit. Really strange though - i wouldn't think a stator or really any other electrical component would just go out while the bike is sitting in my garage for a couple months.

• redfever

Posted December 16, 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hey guys - I haven't checked for spark on a bike since my last 2 stroke, which was a 1978 CR250. None of my 4 strokes ever developed a problem where i had to check.
Went to ride my 07 YZ450F yesterday, and kicked it about a hundred times and not even a hint of it wanting to start.
I pulled the plug and it looked OK, and then i put the plug back in the cap (coil) and touched the threaded portion to a head bolt and manually turned the motor over with the kickstart lever. Could not see any spark at all.

So my question is - is this still the correct way to check for spark? Nothing has changed with these new-fangled ignitions has it? still check for spark like this?

I took my coil to the dealer this morning and it tested OK. Tried a new plug, but no spark with that either. The 2 other components left to check are my Graves CDI, and the Electrosport stator.

I have a sneaking suspicion the electrosport stator might be the culprit. Really strange though - i wouldn't think a stator or really any other electrical component would just go out while the bike is sitting in my garage for a couple months.

Do you have a teenage son?

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2008 - 06:18 PM

A healthy YZ450 should jump 1/8" gap easily testing the way you describe.

• swatdoc

Posted December 16, 2008 - 09:46 PM

Thanks Gray - figured i should be seeing a spark that way.

Red - no, why?

• redfever

Posted December 16, 2008 - 10:02 PM

Thanks Gray - figured i should be seeing a spark that way.

Red - no, why?

"I have a sneaking suspicion the electrosport stator might be the culprit. Really strange though - i wouldn't think a stator or really any other electrical component would just go out while the bike is sitting in my garage for a couple months."

Well, everytime I start wondering how something could possibly be moved/lost/broken/empty/dirty/full/plugged-up, I remember that I have teenagers... So I had to smile when you said; "sitting in my garage" as I picture your 17 yr old getting sideways on your bike with a big smile (and, of course, wiping it down before Dad gets home from work).

Sorry to be a cynic but I came by it honestly!

• swatdoc

Posted December 16, 2008 - 10:19 PM

Ha Ha - Ok I get it now! No, I have no one to blame for funny stuff in my garage but me!

Still seems very weird though - bike ran absolutely perfect the last time i rode it a couple months ago. How does an electrical part just go bad just sitting in a garage?

• davcon

Posted December 17, 2008 - 06:56 AM

I have a diesel pu and the service engine soon light came on in august. Its the glow plug sensor gizmo ($150 for the dealer to diagnose). Its a $100 part and i've been putting it off wanting to spend the money on my 450! Well its been in the low teens lately so i ordered the part. Guess what.......now the SES light is off and the truck is starting perfectly! Like you said how can these electrical parts go bad (or repair themselves) just sitting around.

12-18-08: Update SES light back on last nite ...ha ha!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 17, 2008 - 07:14 AM

One way stuff like this happens is loss of contact at the terminal connections. This can be for a variety of reasons, like corrosion from moisture intrusion, physically weak or damaged terminals, etc. I bears checking before spending up for a part that may not be bad.

• mazzuca21366

Posted December 17, 2008 - 11:03 AM

Make sure your kill switch button is not stuck. I have seen this happen before.

• swatdoc

Posted December 18, 2008 - 01:13 AM

yea, kill switch is one of the first things i checked

Gray - good idea - i'll check all my connectors first for corrosion. I do have a brand new moose stator already mountedin a new ignition cover just in case something like this happened

• BC3

Posted December 18, 2008 - 10:44 PM

Did you try a new plug....sometimes they short out way down inside the shell
and it is sparking but not at the electrodes....Try a new plug before you go nuts changing things.......

• swatdoc

Posted December 19, 2008 - 12:54 AM

yep - one of the first things i tried - new plug and disconnecting kill switch

• BC3

Posted December 19, 2008 - 04:13 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]Wow that is a weird one......you "Un-plugged and plugged all the connectors" Checked the ground wires .....I'm thinking out loud (it's 4:00am ) Just wondering, do you have a heat gun or hair dryer? remove the ign.cover and try heating that area up a bit and see if that does anything...Thinking moister might be playing a role here....I'm kinda stumped at this point other than checking the stator out put....[/COLOR]

• swatdoc

Posted December 19, 2008 - 05:18 PM

haven't had a chance to unplug/replug all the connectors yet - prob do that on sunday - just too busy til then.

it has been very rainy over here the past couple weeks, and hawaiis climate is pretty corrosive with the salty air even though i'm several miles from the ocean. i really hope it's just a connector and not my stator of cdi

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.