Help with suspension

7 replies to this topic
  • Ka0sX

Posted December 16, 2008 - 04:35 PM

Ok iam trying to find a goos setting with my wr450 suspension but iam having a hard time find a good setting

iam hoping someone maybe within the same height . weight as me and can give some good setting or atleast something to try

iam 5'10 around 180pds round 85kilos for thos whome might go buy that

from a 09 wr450 stock setting how many clicks should i do on the damners on the top and rebound on the bottom both front and back

i would like to have a few different setting to try

iam going to get the suspension redone after xmas sometime in feburary but i would like to get some half decent settings that would make it some what better then it is now

Thanks in advance for any replys

• sausage boy

Posted December 16, 2008 - 06:27 PM

i tried to do this on my 05, i spent hours adjusting the suspension only to go back to the factory settings. i'm 6'2" and i weigh 4kg more than you. i eventualy sent my forks to factory connections and had them revalved and stiffer springs. the rear shock i just put a stiffer spring on. what a world of difference. when i bought my 08 i didn't even bother trying to set them i sent them off straight away. the fact is the WR450 forks and shock are poo for someone over 70kg, get them re-valved and some stiffer springs and they are great. :thumbsup:

Ok iam trying to find a goos setting with my wr450 suspension but iam having a hard time find a good setting

iam hoping someone maybe within the same height . weight as me and can give some good setting or atleast something to try

from a 09 wr450 stock setting how many clicks should i do on the damners on the top and rebound on the bottom both front and back

iam going to get the suspension redone after xmas sometime in feburary but i would like to get some half decent settings that would make it some what better then it is now

• YamaLink

Posted December 17, 2008 - 05:33 AM

If that 180 pounds is your weight without gear and/or tools you may want to consider going up on the spring rate.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 17, 2008 - 06:43 AM

Suspension settings is a personal thing.

Why not learn about the proper procedure for setting up your suspension. Take one good day of riding and go try a few things. Adjust at least 2-3 clicks at a time so you can really feel the difference.

I usually start with "way too soft" and then stiffen up as necessary. I like to focus on turning first and then worry about the bumps later. I am no expert at this, but if you don't understand how to do this and how to feel what's good or bad, you will waste money on a professional revalve because you won't know how to properly communicate with your suspension tuner.

Just try it... And write down EVERYTHING and your comments along the way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ka0sX

Posted December 17, 2008 - 02:19 PM

well i went riding yesterday for a bit and took my screw driver with me iam pretty happy with the setting i have now

i went up and down a beach in really losse sand and the front end dont washout anymore it just skimming the top when riding along the beach

also even the little bumps and such are better i have pretty much solved the issue with pins and needles feeling in my hands aswell

the front dont dive onb me in corners either anymore it pretty comfy to ride now its dooable till i get it re-valved and new springs

Just try to get the ass end from hitting me is the ass when i go thru some whoops now

Thanks

• WR450FGreg

Posted December 18, 2008 - 10:46 AM

I'm shorter than you but around the same weight. Ride an '08 WR450F in the Aussie bush (east coast).

So far I've increased the compression damping on the front end by 3 clicks from stock and the rebound damping on the rear by two.
(I've also raised the fork oil level by 10mm.)

This has eliminated the front end bottoming in the bush (so far) and also the tendency for the seat to whack me in the arse all the time in the whoops.

It still all feels too soft to me, and being a low-budget rider, I will be machining up a pair of spring preload spacers for the forks and increasing the rear spring preload soon to stiffen things a bit more. Of course I will re-look at the damping settings after this.

I'd love to be able to afford new springs but for now this is out of the question.

Hope that helps.

Greg

• MaxPower

Posted December 18, 2008 - 11:23 AM

[COLOR="Green"]I have a Factory Connection revalve on my WR
I havent had a bike that goes through the whoops so good since my 81 Full Floating Suzuki[/COLOR]

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 18, 2008 - 11:31 AM

Maybe you have already figured this out but on the forks compression is the bottom clicker and re-bound dampening is adjusted with the top clicker.

At 180 lbs' you should be able to be somewhat happy with the stock set up.. also give the suspension a couple hundred miles of good work out before you try and dial it in because it will change after break in...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.