Stock can or aftermarket

50 replies to this topic
  • BigVthumper

Posted December 16, 2008 - 07:53 AM

and why? Will I get that much more power out of a aftermarket to justify the $$$ cost? BTW, air mod done as well...

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 16, 2008 - 10:02 AM

and why? Will I get that much more power out of a aftermarket to justify the $$$ cost? BTW, air mod done as well...

What year?

I did it on my 06 and it was night and day...when i bought my 08 i didnt even start the bike until i put an aftermarket pipe on...:thumbsup:

• honeycutt

Posted December 16, 2008 - 10:25 AM

I put an 08 YZ450 exhaust on my 07 WR450 and noticed huge gains and for alot cheaper than an aftermarket system!

• WR450FGreg

Posted December 16, 2008 - 10:25 AM

I've compared a pair of WR450F's, jumping off one then straight onto the other and back again on the same section of dirt track...

(Both running stock gearing and with similar tyre wear BTW.)

One had a White Bros exhaust.
The other (mine) has an opened up stock exhaust.

The only difference I experienced was in the noise output. The White Bros was MUCH louder.
They both felt the same in acceleration.

I'd love to see a dyno printout for each but for now my butt-dyno has me absolutely convinced never to bother with an aftermarket exhaust.

Others will argue, but for me an opened up OEM exhaust is just as good apart from being 400 or so grams heavier.

You may have already seen this: http://www.thumperta... saves big $$$$

Greg

• SXP

Posted December 16, 2008 - 10:28 AM

On an 07-09 just replacing the spout under the end cap with a GYTR or PMB insert makes a huge difference. At ~$60 bucks it's excellent bang for the buck.

http://www.promotobi.../products_id/50

• erickdj

Posted December 16, 2008 - 10:33 AM

Well, if you think that the bike has enough power for you as it is, then just leave it stock for now. Later down the road when you feel that you're ready for the next step in power add an aftermarket pipe. These bikes are so choked up in stock form it's not even funny. Just wait until doing the upgrade is worth it to you.

• WR450FGreg

Posted December 16, 2008 - 10:40 AM

I put an 08 YZ450 exhaust on my 07 WR450 and noticed huge gains and for alot cheaper than an aftermarket system!

I picked up a complete '08 YZ450F exhaust for $Aus200 (about $US150)recently. I've used the header pipe (bigger diameter) in combination with my opened up WR450F muffler.

Greg

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 16, 2008 - 12:27 PM

The bike feels like a WR 390f with the stock exhaust and stock baffle and a WR 435f with the stock exhaust/pmb insert combo. The only way you'll get the full 450 cc power from the bike is either gutting the stock exhaust or an aftermarket system. The gutted stock exhaust I heard sounded raspy and was louder than my WB E2.

If you're ambitious enough I guess you can weld a core into the stock exhaust and stuff some packing into it to eliminate the raspy sound and buy an aftermarket spark arrestor for a less restrictive design than stock. When its all said and done you'd be spending about the same as picking up a YZ exhaust on ebay.

• Demo_Slug

Posted December 16, 2008 - 01:40 PM

this is mine.

I'm very happy with the power gain with this pipe and the sound makes me happy. I went from stock, to gytr tip, to Leovince slip on, to adding a YZ header. I was very pleased with the slip on alone. the increase in low end is very noticable. first ride the bike felt un stallable and was less reluctant to rev out. first thing I notice was the throttle is more touchy. and the header just made it sound deeper and added a mid RPM kick.

the pipe still makes me very happy.

• BigVthumper

Posted December 16, 2008 - 05:28 PM

What year?

I did it on my 06 and it was night and day...when i bought my 08 i didnt even start the bike until i put an aftermarket pipe on...:thumbsup:

I have a 2006 WR that will soon have the free mod.
So are you saying a stock YZ head pipe AND can as well? Or just the can and a stock WR head pipe?

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted December 16, 2008 - 05:55 PM

Best bang for the buck is a full YZ system if noise/ Spark arrester isn't an issue. Otherwise you end up spending another $150 to quiet it down and add SA.
For that money $150 YZ exhaust, $150 PMB endo + quiet insert, you could buy an aftermarket can with the WR header and probably see the same gains.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 16, 2008 - 06:26 PM

I have a 2006 WR that will soon have the free mod.
So are you saying a stock YZ head pipe AND can as well? Or just the can and a stock WR head pipe?

Thanks

your 06 already has a yz header! the 07+ dont:banghead:

• Demo_Slug

Posted December 16, 2008 - 06:29 PM

Best bang for the buck is a full YZ system if noise/ Spark arrester isn't an issue. Otherwise you end up spending another $150 to quiet it down and add SA.
For that money $150 YZ exhaust, $150 PMB endo + quiet insert, you could buy an aftermarket can with the WR header and probably see the same gains.

I'm glad you got a good deal on a YZ exhuast. I searched for the $150 system. but never found it. going rate for header in prime condition is about $125 to $150 + shiping the can goes for about $20 + shiping. I got my header for $125 shipped which was pretty good. $200 is a more reasonable expectation to get that complete exhaust. I just checked ebay and its right about $200 to peice it together as long as poeple do not bid the stuff up in the last minuts.

the spark promoto areastor kit is $144.9 + $46.95 + shipping. in my book that close to $220.

average joe can expect to pay $420 US dollars for a trail worthy 08 YZ exhaust. in contrast you can get a pretty good slip on for $329 any day of the week. and add a header later bringing the total to $479. :thumbsup: $59 extra for the premium stuff is worth it to me.

• tribalbc

Posted December 16, 2008 - 06:59 PM

I'm glad you got a good deal on a YZ exhuast. I searched for the $150 system. but never found it. going rate for header in prime condition is about $125 to $150 + shiping the can goes for about $20 + shiping. I got my header for $125 shipped which was pretty good. $200 is a more reasonable expectation to get that complete exhaust. I just checked ebay and its right about $200 to peice it together as long as poeple do not bid the stuff up in the last minuts.

the spark promoto areastor kit is $144.9 + $46.95 + shipping. in my book that close to $220.

average joe can expect to pay $420 US dollars for a trail worthy 08 YZ exhaust. in contrast you can get a pretty good slip on for $329 any day of the week. and add a header later bringing the total to $479. :smirk: $59 extra for the premium stuff is worth it to me.

I got mine in the classified's here on TT :thumbsup:
But it was early last winter before there was any demand for them.
I paid $130 for the Endo and $40 for the insert so your right I paid more than $150.
I still like the shortness of the YZ can and the versatility of the endo though.
I would also never get an aftermarket can for anywhere near $329 in Canada :smirk:

• MaxPower

Posted December 16, 2008 - 11:33 PM

[COLOR="Green"]at any skill level, I can see a YZ or aftermarket exhaust making the WR a more fun bike to ride. I had an insert in my YZ pipe and only rode it with that. I hated the bike and wanted to sell it. Just for kicks I removed it and it lit the bike up.Made it so much more fun to ride I couldnt believe it. The YZ cam helped just that much more
These bikes are so heavy the power helps to wheelie over things[/COLOR]

• SXP

Posted December 16, 2008 - 11:58 PM

I'll reiterate, especially after re-reading (and reading between the lines) the original posters question - the stock can with the GYTR/PMB insert is the best bang for the buck!

• Demo_Slug

Posted December 17, 2008 - 02:12 AM

I'll reiterate, especially after re-reading (and reading between the lines) the original posters question - the stock can with the GYTR/PMB insert is the best bang for the buck!

I'll try and make my opinion clear. the GYTR tip is not worth the $50, good money wasted on a bad pipe. I wish I had my $50 back. the stock can is a cork.

bang for the buck means that there is some dollar to performance ratio.

$60 dollars for marginal gain or $329 for a real noticable gain in performance.

• WR450FGreg

Posted December 17, 2008 - 10:37 AM

There is more to fitting a GYTR (or any other brand) exhaust tip to a WR450F than simply bolting it on in place of the stocker.

The second baffle's oriface size is still smaller than both the first baffle and new tip!
You can take the end cap and tip right off and it's still going to be no different in performance until you drill a hole in that second baffle to open the muffler up.

..... Check out the diagrams provided in this link and do the math.
http://www.thumperta... saves big $$$$

Greg

• beezer

Posted December 17, 2008 - 10:40 AM

A good aftermarket pipe has always made an improvement on any bike I have ever had.

The newer WR's have tiny header pipes which I don't think allow the bike to breathe.

When I get a new WR the stock pipe always goes in the garbage can.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 17, 2008 - 11:50 AM

When I get a new WR the stock pipe always goes in the garbage can.

Why :thumbsup:

I sold my stock stuff and made almost 100 bucks:banana: :smirk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.