header gets really bright red!! to rich lean?? car b rebuild time? any ideas

once ride it goes away, but when sits and idles it get red hot

thanks, mike

• matt4x4

Posted December 15, 2008 - 04:33 AM

Normal

• jhmotard

Posted December 15, 2008 - 05:24 AM

tis normal because the header is made of thin stainless steel........unless your bike is poppin and banging you shouldnt worry about it

• ham426f

Posted December 15, 2008 - 12:44 PM

by poping and banging,, do u refer to when im letting it sit? bc it pops and bangs kinda when its cold and i have only ridden it for a short distance and then i down shift it pops and gurgles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jhmotard

Posted December 15, 2008 - 09:55 PM

backfiring or bogging WHILE riding the bike....NOT revving the engine while its at a stand-still

it thats the case your jetting is a little off

• ham426f

Posted December 15, 2008 - 11:41 PM

Is there a combination of jets that works on the 426 the best or does it just matter what the jets are now?

• matt4x4

Posted December 16, 2008 - 07:52 AM

Since jetting is temp and altitude dependent, it's probably best to go off what you have in there now and adjust accordingly.
If it's winter where you are I wouldn't do anything to it until you're closer to your typical riding temps. Unless of course, you plan on riding it a lot in the winter.
If the bike was stroed for a length of time before you got it, it could also be as simple as a clogged or partially clogged jet making it run leaner than it should.

• ham426f

Posted December 16, 2008 - 09:45 PM

I plan to ride a little, but this spring through fall will be the primary season for me. It runs ok, not like not running, just runs a little rough compared to how it did this summer, but that is normal for carbs i assume...?? another thing, it didn't sit to my knowlegde

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.