How do you guys like your WR 450?

9 replies to this topic
  • Steve91T

Posted December 14, 2008 - 06:55 PM

I have an RMZ 450 which I absolutely love but it's not getting as much use as I'd like because of a lack of places to ride. There are tons of fire roads that I want to explore legally. So I've been thinking about getting a DRZ 400. It needs to be street legal, but also needs to be really good through the trails.

I have a little Ninja 250 which is a blast because it's so light and cheap. I'd like to get some SM wheels for my future dual sport so I can swap out some wheels and have a machine I can enjoy on the street. I may even sell the Ninja if it's a good enough time.

Anyway, I'm asking this question in all the forums. Which is the best? I know it probably depends on who you're asking, but I'd like to hear some positive and negatives of each.

I am on a budget. I can probably sell the RMZ for somewhere around $3500. If I had to, I could sell the Ninja for about $2000.

Thanks,
Steve

• tunefx

Posted December 14, 2008 - 09:27 PM

Noticed you are in VA. You can find a good deal on a new
'07. I've seen them in Richmond and NoVA. PM if you need more info. An '07 is not much different than the '08 or '09.

I'm biased but my WR is perfect in power, handling, and reliability. I would buy it again.

• MaxPower

Posted December 14, 2008 - 10:43 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I like mine,cause if a tornado comes through New Jersey,I can just tie myself to my WR and I know I wont blow away cause its so heavy[/COLOR]

• alfie

Posted December 15, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Yeah i love my wr 450, power weight and pretty reliable. The only down side is the suspension is a bit on the soft side but easily sorted.

• Kirkster

Posted December 15, 2008 - 02:43 PM

I love mine except for when it tries to kill me like last month at Hatfield & McCoy... Still recovering....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ANTBREON

Posted December 15, 2008 - 04:05 PM

I RIDE MINE BOTH AS A SUPERMOTO ON THE STREET AND IN THE DIRT ...IT DOESNT LIKE BIG AIR BUT LOVES THE TRAILS ...AS A SUPERMOTO BIKE IT IS MORE FUN THAN THE LAW ALLOWS ON THE STREET ...YOU WILL NEVER RIDE YOUR NIJA 250 AGAIN ..I CAN SWITCH IT OVER IN ABOUT 20 MIN ...JUST MAKE SURE YOU CAN GET IT REGISTERD STREET LEAGAL IN YOUR STATE SOME YOU CANT ...MINE ON THE STREET IS MY 89 FZR 400 :smirk: :thumbsup:

• Strattos

Posted December 15, 2008 - 06:56 PM

My 08 WR is perfect for me. Just bolt the number plate on and I can for for 200 - 250kilometre rides to and through the desert with mates. Handles it like a dream. Take plate off and i'm off racing our local enduro series. As already mentioned about the only thing it doesn't handle as well is big jumps, which isn't what I bought it for. Only have a fiddle around every now and then on motocross tracks. Mainly desert riding and enduros.

• WR450FGreg

Posted December 15, 2008 - 11:06 PM

I love my '08 WR450F. Fantastic bike.

Sure, some tests might say that it's heavy, or slow, whatever. But it's FAR more bike than I am a rider so it's fine for me.

Fast, handles well, reliable, it's got everything I need.

I would definately buy another one if I had my time over again.

Greg

• Eddie5150

Posted December 16, 2008 - 09:11 AM

So I've been thinking about getting a DRZ 400. It needs to be street legal...

Oooooof. There is no comparison between the DRZ and the WR. I have had both. I upgraded SO MUCH from the DRZ to the WR. You are absolutely right in that you are going to get so many responses. But for what it is worth, I have had both, and would never go back to the DRZ.

Do you have to have it fully street legal? In Utah, all I had to do was put a brake light, horn and a mirror and I was good to go - passed inspection. It would be good to check at your local inspection place in VA.

eddie

• YamaLink

Posted December 17, 2008 - 07:43 AM

You will not regret a newer WR450 for your needs! Sounds like you're ready to part with both the RMZ and Ninja. While the market may keep one or both in the garage a bit longer, if you can find a great deal on the Yamaha I'd jump on it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.